Teaming up w/ audio tech... what eqpmnt for him? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Teaming up w/ audio tech... what eqpmnt for him?

I'm starting some freelance work w/ my HVX200, and some of the firms I've been talking to about videography are looking for two-man teams - a video guy with his own gear, and an audio guy with his own gear.

I've been talking to a friend of mine who just graduated with his Master's in Music Theory (and a BA in electronic music production) who said he's interested in going as an audio tech, but needs to know what equipment to buy.

He's got an iBook and mixers right now, so what else might he need? I'm figuring some Sennheiser wireless mics, a shotgun/super shotgun, and a boom for starters, but is there anything else he might need to throw in on to get properly started?
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If it's not a long-term project, rent. If not, buy.

You will need a portable mixer, I use the Sound Devices 302 - 3 channels and XLR outs. Of course, I run it to a professional full size camera, but I've used it with a DVX, which should work nicely with your HVX.

This is a setup we did with the 302 and a DVX.

Mixer CH 1 - Lectrosonics UHF100 Plug on Wireless, with Tram Lavalier microphone

Mixer CH 2 - Lectrosonics UHF100 Plug on wireless, to EV RE50 handheld

Mixer CH3 - Boom microphone, Sennheiser 416 on vDb fishpole

Main out - Split to Sennheiser wireless system. Receiver on camera, running audio to tape. Second out Sony Minidisc for backup recording.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media