Wireless ISDN at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless ISDN

Hello,

I live out in the sticks - just. Actually, 4.01 miles from the telco's CO so they won't entertain DSL and the cable company aren't interested, either. So I've got ISDN, instead.

Problem: the ISDN line terminates at the house but we have an office in our detached garage/barn/behemoth. Currently, I have a 100' telephone cable going from the where the ISDN terminates at the house to the garage. The missus really wants it to go away but I don't want to bury it (brick path, gravel driveway etc to contend with).

I've searched high and low for a simple device that will basically transmit/receive the ISDN signal via AM/FM/whatever. The nearest I have found is a Siemens widget but it doesn't seem to be available in the US.

I could build my own transmitter/receiver units but I'm hoping there is an existing solution. I've tried the widgets that let you use the existing wiring in the house but the garage is on a totally separate supply, so that avenue is closed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

You might want to look into sattelite broadband. Pretty decent on downloads from what I hear, but also slow on uploads.
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I've investigated that - even the newer WildBlue. Installation is expensive and I have to use ipsec tunnelling a lot. The latency is too high for it to be useful. Also, the ISDN is used for telephone/fax, as well as internet, so I'd still be in the same boat....
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Have you considered using wireless routers to network with your garage?
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

a reqular isdn/cable wireless device won't work?

or is there no such thing?

i don't know how the isdn comes into the house, but you muct be able to put it into a modem of some sort that has a ethernet comeing out, you could then run that to a wireless router. That work?
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Major Player

For the LAN side of things, I do already have a wireless configuration and it works great.

For the fax/phone side of things, though, it's more problematic. I need a widget to bridge the ISDN line from the house to the garage....
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have a wireless router in my house and it is great. Even take my laptop out into the garage and motorhome without problem. I have a 5 year old Linksys and I think the newer ones are even better. Probably much cheeper than buring a cable.

Mike
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I have a wireless router in my house and it is great. Even take my laptop out into the garage and motorhome without problem. I have a 5 year old Linksys and I think the newer ones are even better. Probably much cheeper than buring a cable.

Mike
I have the net side on wireless - I agree, it's great. It's the ISDN line itself I need in the garage without a physical connection to the telco's network interface (i.e., where the incoming line terminates at the house).
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller
I have the net side on wireless - I agree, it's great. It's the ISDN line itself I need in the garage without a physical connection to the telco's network interface (i.e., where the incoming line terminates at the house).
I'm confused, why do you need the ISDN line itself in the garage? Explain.
Why not just a wireless reciever?

Mike
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I'm confused, why do you need the ISDN line itself in the garage? Explain.
Why not just a wireless reciever?

Mike
Our garage has an upstairs office. My wife runs her own business from there. It's also my playground! "Garage" is a bit misleading. Yes, it has a concrete floor and garage doors but it's also a place to make loud noises and a way to keep our house from looking like mission control.

In fact, our garage is bigger than the house I used to live in in the UK - and that had a garage built in! It's 1.5 storey on a 32' x 30' slab. Board and batten cedar siding, red tin roof - very rustic looking. A/C that's more efficient than in the house - but no plumbing. Not to worry - for the "number one" needs, I frequent the shrubs and bushes in need of deer repellant!
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Our garage has an upstairs office. My wife runs her own business from there. It's also my playground! "Garage" is a bit misleading. Yes, it has a concrete floor and garage doors but it's also a place to make loud noises and a way to keep our house from looking like mission control.

In fact, our garage is bigger than the house I used to live in in the UK - and that had a garage built in! It's 1.5 storey on a 32' x 30' slab. Board and batten cedar siding, red tin roof - very rustic looking. A/C that's more efficient than in the house - but no plumbing. Not to worry - for the "number one" needs, I frequent the shrubs and bushes in need of deer repellant!
I know I'm a little thick, but you can hook as many receivers as you like to the wireless hub. Is what you want a regular phone line?

Mike
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
If you switched to VoIP phone service that need would disappear. Then you could have a phone connection anywhere your LAN signal reaches.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Regular Crew

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/categ...one-jacks.html

wireless phone jacks work?
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
I know I'm a little thick, but you can hook as many receivers as you like to the wireless hub. Is what you want a regular phone line?

Mike
Yes.

Here's a schematic of the layout.

The problem is with the non-computer stuff - the fax and the phone. Especially the fax.
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless ISDN-schematic.gif  
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
If you switched to VoIP phone service that need would disappear. Then you could have a phone connection anywhere your LAN signal reaches.
Can't get VoIP service...no cable/dsl availability! No point paying for ISDN and then for VoIP on top of it....
John Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media