DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Film scan (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/7313-film-scan.html)

John Locke February 28th, 2003 07:18 PM

Film scan

This is a long shot, I know...but never hurts to ask. Is there any possible way anyone out there could scan a strip of exposed film (cinema film) and e-mail it to me?

I'm working on something for the web and problem is, I don't have any contacts that can get their hands on a bit of film for me to scan.

I need about 6 or 7 continuous frame's worth. And if the leading edge is available, that'd be a great bonus. Don't worry...I'll wind up using just the "frame and sprockets" of the film, and will be inserting my contents. I'll cut the original picture content out. High resolution would also be appreciated.

I've tried making my own, but it just doesn't have the small nuances of exposed film. The real thing would look much better.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2003 10:03 PM

John,
You mean that you need an image of a strip of film (i.e. sprocket holes on edges, blank frames), eh?

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2003 10:05 PM

Would this link be of any use?

Zac Stein February 28th, 2003 11:10 PM

I have a 4000dpi film scanner here if that helps.

But the sprockets are generally cut out due to the film holder.

I can do up to 6 frames in a batch scan.

If i can help send me an email or message me.

Zac

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2003 11:16 PM

Kermie,
I think John needs a picture of a strip of film, rather than scans of a film's content. (I wrote essentially the same reply as you...then re-read his post <g>.)

John Locke February 28th, 2003 11:21 PM

Ken,

Yep, that's right. The content in the frames doesn't matter...it'll be cut out. Thanks for the link, but I've already got a scan of 35mm "still" photography film. I'm needing frames that progress vertically, rather than horizontally. And instead of just slicing a still photo film strip up and stacking each frame, I'd like to get the detailed continuity of the vertical strip. Hard to explain...bottom line is a still photo negative strip won't work.

Kermie, if you can get your hands on a bit of film strip and scan it...that'd be great!

I just thought of something, though. It has to be backlit, the way positive still photo film strips would have to be lit...in order to see the detail in the film border itself that I'm wanting. So, I guess a simple scan won't do after all. It'd have to be put on a light table, then photographed digitally or scanned.

Dang...where oh where does one find some film negative strips in Tokyo?

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 1st, 2003 12:03 AM

I don't understand, John. You can't go to the local fotomat and develop a roll of Fujifilm? I knew the Japanese loved deprecating old technology in favor of the latest, but...

John Locke March 1st, 2003 12:47 AM

Fuji "motion picture" film? Wow..how much would that cost? And what quantities does reel film come in (Excuse me...I'd like one 100 ft. reel, please. But when processing it, I only need one foot.)

<<I knew the Japanese loved deprecating old technology in favor of the latest, but...>>

That...by the way... is a myth. Although the Japanese often lead the way in developing new technology, you'd be surprised how much of it isn't really jumped on with enthusiasm locally. Film photography is still very much alive and well here...and you're more likely to come across a vintage photo equipment store than a new photo retailer.

As for DV, it's almost non-existent here compared to North America. The only people I know here who have DV equipment are foreigners.

Ken Tanaka March 1st, 2003 12:55 AM

John,
I'm convinced that somewhere deep within Kodak's Cinematography site there lies what you seek. But I've just not been able to locate it.

Jeff Donald March 1st, 2003 12:56 AM

Labs that process 35mm motion picture film would have scraps and test strips used for quality control. If you could buy some scraps or old test strips you might be in luck.

Zac Stein March 1st, 2003 01:16 AM

John,

My friend did a straight scan of an entire strip using an epson 2450 or the new 3200 flatbed scanner, he just lay the film down didnt bother with a holder and had the backlight on. It was a 2400 dpi scan and looked great.

Zac

p.s john i'll see if i can get some offcuts of film during this week of uni, it may be 16mm though, i hope that is ok.

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 1st, 2003 01:32 AM

Oh, motion picture film. Sorry, didn't read carefully enough. As Jeff suggests, provided you have the time/yen (money) for gas/yen (yearning) for a good hike, then you could probably check the phone book and trek to any motion picture film development lab in the area, explaining your plight to bemused personnel. How could your story not be met with the scraps you seek?

If I was back in L.A. I'd have it for you in a hearbeat. All of my friends have their reels hanging around their places.

"As for DV, it's almost non-existent here compared to North America. The only people I know here who have DV equipment are foreigners."

Starting in 1997, most everybody I met from Japan had a MiniDV camcorder bought there. What do they use now if they don't use DV?

Jeff Donald March 1st, 2003 01:43 AM

I think Kermie is right, John. I've seen HQ scans from flatbeds and they look great. It's worth a shot.

John Locke March 1st, 2003 02:39 AM

Kermie and Jeff,

The scanner idea sounds good. Doesn't matter if it's 16mm, 35mm...whatever will be fine. Thanks, Kermie!

Ken...I searched around the Kodak cinematography site but didn't come up with anything. Interesting site, though.

In the meantime, I'll try to locate processing labs. That'll be tougher than it seems...language barrier for one thing, then a cultural barrier. Rik and Adrian will understand what I'm talking about...any request out of the ordinary, especially by a foreigner, can often turn into an exercise in futility.

Robert, I should have clarified more. I wasn't referring to smaller consumer camcorders. There are definitely scads of those. I was talking about indie-to-full blown production use of DV (like the XL1 and up). I met a producer here who was excited to find me, Rik, and Adrian...just because he couldn't find locals with the equipment we have.

I'm sure a local DV community exists out there somewhere...but it's not prominent like it is there. Surprising considering the cameras are all made here. One thing to note...I've lived in Korea seven years and in Japan about one year now...and I've never seen one, not one, of the cameras listed with forums on DVInfo.net being used in public. I see them at a few stores, but that's all. Compare that to any major city celebrations, events, whatever in North America. How many XL1s, GL2s, DVX100s, and VX2000s are you likely to see?

Recently, there was a major parade held here that, just by like, ran right by my building. It's only held once every three years, I believe. Lots of pomp and circumstance...really interesting to see. The parade lasted an unbelievable 4 hours...and I walked along and videotaped and never once saw anything other than small consumer camcorders and one TV crew using beta. Interesting, eh?

Anyway..thanks everyone for the help. Kermie, you're the man!

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 1st, 2003 02:53 AM

"Compare that to any major city celebrations, events, whatever in North America. How many XL1s, GL2s, DVX100s, and VX2000s are you likely to see?"

Back when I lived in South Central I used to marvel at the local hispanic skateboarding kids filming their grind and jump stuntwork with a VX2000 out on the streets. Sometimes they would film at night with a big old light mounted to the camera's hot shoe. I used to think to myself, "I wish I could afford equipment like that!"