DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Hosting Videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/73478-hosting-videos.html)

Nathaniel McInnes August 12th, 2006 08:00 AM

Hosting Videos

Hey people. i got my own servers and well i have been thinking of setting up my own video hosting company where people can host there websites which have been designed for videographers . What do you think would be a good mixture. e.g 500megs of space with 12GIGS of bandwidth for £5pm with unlimited MySQL Databases, emails, subdomains etc.

the reason i say this is because i pay stupid prices to host my videos and well i some of you as well

***KEEP IT REALISTIC***

Steven Gotz August 12th, 2006 09:29 AM

I have used ICDSoft for a few years, and they keep increasing the bandwidth for me without raising prices. I started with 3GB and I am up to 20GB. All for about US$50 per year. The service is great and the speed of downloads is quite good.

So if you want to use that as a comparison for a business model, that would be a good start. The problem is that many of these companies have theiur infrastructure set up already for other purposes. HAndling big customers, for example. So they can let you have a lot of space quite cheaply.

I won't put up a link because I don't know if this site has a preferred vendor, but there is a link on the bottom of my web site. Check it out, and if this site has a preferred vendor, check them out. See what is available and compete with them.

Christopher Lefchik August 12th, 2006 10:44 AM

I've been been using 1&1. For $2.99/month I get 5 GB storage space and 250 GB traffic. Haven't had any complaints about the speed of the service.

Nathaniel McInnes August 12th, 2006 11:09 AM

Are you sure 2.99$ in our country with 1and1 it £24.99 permonth or 48$ to get anything like that

John Kang August 12th, 2006 12:53 PM

1and1

yep, I get my domains from them as well. I havn't tried their domain servers yet but they do have price structures as noted.

You can alway purchase from the us site. I don't think they can stop you from buying it through 1and1's us site...

I don't know how reliable the server is on it so I can't make a recommendation but I have been happy with my domain purchases.

Nathaniel McInnes August 12th, 2006 01:13 PM

i went to the 1and1 us site and well my god. the prices they are stupidly cheap compared to the UK price. Our prices are about 5,6,7 times the price.

Any way what do you think would be a good mixture for a package for account designed to take say about 10-20 high compressed short/medium films?

Chris Wren August 12th, 2006 03:27 PM

Rates for multimedia-hosting depends more on the bandwidth and uptime you can guarantee. I host my videos with a hosting-provider that is connected thru 48 fiber-channels and 8 different backbone connections.

Steven Gotz August 12th, 2006 03:28 PM

Basically, if you save us 10% or more at the same speed, we will be forced to take a hard look. But that could be difficult to do. Especially since we get such large pipes to the Internet.

In other words, you need to concentrate on selling in the UK. In the US it is already dirt cheap.

Nathaniel McInnes August 12th, 2006 04:10 PM

this is what i have a hard connection to the internet at 44MB per second split on a ratio to 1:1 so i upload and download at a rate of 44mb per a second 2 servers with 80gig each running redhat linux. in the middle of setting up hosting.logikstudios.co.uk

Ruth Verdugo August 15th, 2006 10:23 PM

You can see from this page that 1&1 is not universally loved. Some people thought it was okay, but of the people who had BAD experiences, they had really (and I mean really) BAD experiences.

My experience with them was bad, but pales in comparison to some of the reviews there. In my case, I had to jump through major hoops to cancel. (What other host company these days makes it super-easy for you to sign up with them—all online, of course—but makes you mail in your cancellation?) After I cancelled my account, they kept on billing me. And billing me. Calling them up and telling them to not bill me finally took after the second time.

I think I got off easy. I really didn't have too many complaints about them when I was with them (other than their convoluted and cumbersome interface). Getting rid of them was when the problems started. Oh, and the "free" software they offered when I signed up? I had to mail that back too.

Christopher Lefchik August 30th, 2006 03:14 PM

Ruth,

Ouch, thanks for the heads up. Kind of looks like 1&1 is trying to be the AOL of Web hosting when it comes to cancelling the contract. Not good. Personally, though, I'm happy with what I'm getting for the price (it is really unbeatable), and I don't foresee cancelling anytime soon. I'm the Webmaster for a couple other sites hosted with 1&1 per my recommendation, and I haven't noticed any problems with the service so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth Verdugo
Oh, and the "free" software they offered when I signed up? I had to mail that back too.

I e-mailed 1&1 about this since I was interested in getting the Premium Software CD. Below is the exchange I had with 1&1. (My profuse apologies for mistakenly referencing you as “he”).

Dear 1&1 Support,

I was interested in ordering the free Premium Software Suite CD.
However, I heard from a former 1&1 customer that when he cancelled his
1&1 service he had to mail the free software CD back. Is this still
true? Should I ever cancel my 1&1 account at some future date would I
have to return the free Premium Software Suite CD?

Christopher Lefchik

---------------------

Thank you for contacting us.

There is a minimum contract term to get the premium software suite and
that is 12 months.
If that would not be followed it is either you will pay for the software
or returned it back.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,
Anecita Abing
Technical Support
1&1 Internet