Movies and Motorcycles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old August 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Movies and Motorcycles

Not what you think....
I'm both a movie maker and a motorcycle rider. I'm at a cross roads, so those of you who live their lives in a similar fashion might be able to help me out.

I've been a life long rider of Jap Iron. I have a beloved 1992 Kawasaki Concours sport touring bike (bought new in 94). But I'm ready to move on.

My choices are down to this.
1. A new Honda Goldwing, with most of the options (no carbon fiber stuff though). The Goldwing is arguably the finest long distance touring bike on the road (not dirt, but road). I know the BMW folks will disagree, but thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

2. A new Harley Davidson Road King standard. I was in a large HD dealer in Charleston SC yesterday (Low Country HD, 60K sq feet very nice folks). Walking around with my Sister in Law who just returned from duty in Iraq and is a fervent Harley owner/rider. She talked me into checking them out...And I finally caught the Harley bug just sitting on one.

Considering the Goldwing is a superb bike and has a large and loyal following. and considering there is nothing quite like a bunch of Harley owners when they get together...which one would you choose. The only unacceptable answer is for picking up women. The only woman I'll be picking up and flirting with is my wife.

p.s. I have the Easy Rider DVD and I love it, but I don't do drugs or wear colors.

bring it on folks.....
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Reading your posts title I was ready to begin talking about that chasing sequence in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...
But I don't know anything about motorcycles, though, héhé.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

If'n you can afford a new Goldwing or HD, chances are you can afford a classic. Get you something old and stylish, with a bit of substance to it. My personal choices would be a 57 Panhead, 69 BMW R9, 55 Sportster K... just off the top of the list ;)
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
If'n you can afford a new Goldwing or HD, chances are you can afford a classic. Get you something old and stylish, with a bit of substance to it. My personal choices would be a 57 Panhead, 69 BMW R9, 55 Sportster K... just off the top of the list ;)
Uh, the revolution will be financed. hehehe.
I didn't feel the custom or Classic were worth the additional money. I could always add stuff later. I liked the clean
monochromatic look of the standard.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Have you seen the Honda Rune?
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

A buddy of mine going through his mid life crisis... just bought a Honda Shadow Classic WITH a sidecar. This was the bike they made for two years, that looked so much like a Harly, that Harley sued them for Trademark infringement... and won. They only made them for two years. GREAT looking bike, and the sidecar makes it look... well, CLASSIC. Yeah, it's a head turner. You might have to look around to find one. I THINK it's a 1200, or maybe 1000 cc, not sure, but it's plenty big for cruising the road. Email me and I'll send you some pix.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Great post. But it also hurts. I just sold my 1999 Harley to pay for a new video camera and a few other things. I keep thinking to hell with it, to hell with cameras, damn Nikon, damn you Canon and Panasonic, then go back and buy a new bike. I haven't bought a camera yet!

When I get a new one and I will someday, it will be a Harley. If you get one you will never go back. I would go with the Road King. The best buy is the Electra Glide standard. It's alot of bike for the money. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

When we sold the house, it was understood that 10K was going towards new gear. Then one day, it dawned on me that I had enough for a Harley, even a new one at that... if I wanted a Sporty. It got tough after that.
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Major Player

here is me on a trip to Sturgis bike rally 2001. I had to ride out to see a location from a movie!
Attached Images

Old August 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #10
Capt. Quirk

Doodeedoodoodooooo...

Did you climb it?
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Major Player

no just looked around and bought a t-shirt. I'm going to try and make that picture bigger
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #12
Major Player

the last one was pretty small
Attached Images

Old August 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #13
Major Player

I was kind of hoping a couple of UFO's would fly by.
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #14
Capt. Quirk

They were avoiding the government agents on top of the monument...
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #15
Major Player

Keith watch out for the storm down there. Doesn't look like it will be too big but a cat 2 or 3 can do some damage as I'm sure you already know.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media