I'm a Praxis fellow again (screenplay competiton) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Air China Pilot

I'm a Praxis fellow again (screenplay competiton)

I'm a fellow again!

To explain: A screenplay I wrote was selected for the fall Praxis Screenplay Competition (http://www.praxisfilm.com/en/competi.../default.aspx).

The Praxis competition is open to Canadian screenwriters who want to see one of their feature-length screenplays workshopped by industry mentors. It's held every fall and spring. Out of all the entries, 4-6 screenplays are selected to be workshopped. Praxis takes first drafts and tries to make them into polished industry-standard screenplays. In the summer session, winners from the year can submit their second drafts to be workshopped again by a larger group and read by working actors.

(Excuse the rough logline)

My screenplay "The Lakehead" (working title) is a gangster drama set in the 1920s in the 'smuggling lane' between Winnipeg and Minneapolis-St. Paul which was a center for gangland activity during Prohibition. Frank Marsh, an ageing enforcer with a Minneapolis mob is asked to take his old mentor, the retired patriarch Joe Gran into Canada to hide in exile while a gang war rages in America. Choosing to hide out in a farm run by the wife of an imprisoned rum runner and her son, Frank is shown a different way of life and a way out of his gangster past. However, trouble follows them across the border.

I wrote "The Lakehead" right down to the wire, finishing it in the early morning of the deadline and submitting it later that day. No offense to those others who meticulously crafted their screenplays but I was just surprised that it got in.

I am a second-time fellow of Praxis. In 2004 I was selected for "Exclusion Zone", a war movie about a squad of Canadian soldiers in Bosnia.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well then, congrats again Keith. Good luck.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Wrangler

Good work Keith, I'll let you buy me sushi to celebrate! :)
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As legend goes, I had heard that Al Capone was around Moosejaw and Winnipeg during Prohibition. Sounds like a cool story Keith, good luck.
Jipsi Kinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

I didn't read about Al Capone but for sure there were a lot of gangsters who did the bootlegging themselves or had to travel to make sure the deals got done.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Congrats Keith.

Validation is always good motivation for keeping the butt in the chair!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Air China Pilot

Thanks all.

I'll report back on my experiences if anyone is interested.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media