When is a movie considered profitable?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Major Player

When is a movie considered profitable??

Sort of a nerdy, pedantic question.....

I hear a lot about the pressure for films to make a lot of their money back the opening weekend, but also how international sales and dvd rentals can make a lot of money later...

Is there any sort of standard for a film 'doing well'? Do you have to make it back within a month or two? or six? or a week?

I read in Christopher Lee's autobiography he ran into Spielberg 20 years after appearing in '1941' - Spielberg informed him that just recently '1941' finally made a profit.....
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Depends how creative the accountants are being with the figures.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess A movie makes money after they have recovered the production costs and paid all involved.

If you make more than what you put in then the movie has made a profit
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Andy, if it were only that simple.

There's a great book, by Art Buchwald, on his fight with Paramount over "Coming to America". It goes into detail on the creative accounting practices in the film industry. It also points out, that that's why the stars 'big' salaries got so big. Money up front instead of a 'piece of the profits' which never show up.

Like that great line from Shakespeare in love...

"Where will we get the money?"

"We'll offer them a share of the profits."

"But there's NEVER any profits!... Oh! I think you might be on to something!"
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Speaking of Paramount... I think Forrest Gump was made by them... gee can't think of his name now... but a friend and I went to his parents house in Vegas (free hotel)... we started talking to a guest of the person who lived next door as he was loading suitcases into a car... okay got it... Eric Roth...

He didn't have much time... but he told us that it was funny that Tom Hanks and Robert Zemeckis got their backend... but when it came time for his... they said the movie didn't make any money...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the more persons taking percents/points the longer it takes to make a profit because the cost of the movie keeps going UP every time percents are paid out ...
so a movie that the studio says cost 100 mil = the 100 mil is NOT the final cost of the movie because all those percents to director, actors, producer keeps raising the cost of the movie ... then there is the interest that keep getting added to cost and remember the studio changes a % fee for stduio overhead = it is not a set amount in $$ - it is usually a % of the cost of the movie = more the movie cost the more overhead $ goes to studio ..
most top actors,directors,producers take "gross " points never NET points ... net points usually mean you get NOTHING ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media