Steal me at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Steal me

Why do manufacturers of bags and cases for video products insist on covering them with crime-friendly labels- for example "HD Pro Video" in two inch high letters across the side of a camera case? Why don't they just print "steal me" in big letters - it has the same effect? All I want is an anonymous bag so that I don't feel I have to be looking over my shoulder when I'm walking down the street...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
Why do manufacturers of bags and cases for video products insist on covering them with crime-friendly labels- for example "HD Pro Video" in two inch high letters across the side of a camera case? Why don't they just print "steal me" in big letters - it has the same effect? All I want is an anonymous bag so that I don't feel I have to be looking over my shoulder when I'm walking down the street...
It sells the thieves, but it sold you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Major Player

The letters are probably just stuck on with glue, just wedge them off.

Or cover it up with a sticker that says 'Bio Tech Stool Samples' that should keep em' away!

Andy.
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Seems to be a decent bag for the price....and to fund a good cause as well!

http://www.vegascoroner.com/gymbag_order.htm

Just blacken out the whole 'Las Vegas' thing, attach a couple of latex gloves stained with the fluid of your choice and you should be all set.

(I know, it's late....)
Michael Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5
Major Player

I buy all my video bags at Goodwill or the bargain bins at Dollar Stores. I customize them with closed-cell foam padding and they are very effective at protecting my gear. However, anyone who looks at them might guess they were filled with dirty socks and moldy granola. I get my working clothes at the same places.

Nowadays, with a plain-looking miniature camcorder like the VX2100, no one pays much attention, but in times past, when I'd pull out my full-sized Beta from such a bag, people would look at me as though they thought I'd stolen it. Until that moment, there was no suspicion that its contents had any value.

The most common method of survival in Nature is for species to obscure their existence with camouflage. Only those that can run the fastest or jump the highest, dare to openly display their presence. If you want to impress clients or onlookers with fancy bags that are plastered with high-status logos, you may attract predators.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
The letters are probably just stuck on with glue, just wedge them off.

Or cover it up with a sticker that says 'Bio Tech Stool Samples' that should keep em' away!

Andy.
Fantastic. thats the only way!!! :-)
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
Of course, this may present certain challenges at the airline security checkpoint. And is really unlikely to help get you a date.
;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media