Don't you hate it when people can't keep their hands off your stuff? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Don't you hate it when people can't keep their hands off your stuff?

I get home from work tonight...and my door is ulocked.

My Panasonic GS250, Audio Technica mic, and my iPod...gone. Theives are the scum of the earth.

This is the second iPod I've had stolen this year. And thank god I took my Powerbook to work with me. And of course, my roommates didn't "hear or see anything".

So, there goes my entrance film for my college App...so it look like I might be at the Community College for another year, just because some asshole wants the stuff I worked hard for.

Thanks for the venting opportunity...words cannot explain how pist I am.
Derek Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

Sorry to hear about that Derek. I realize it won't help this time, but you should see an insurance agent and get a quote on renters insurance. It could have made this situation a lot better if you'd had a policy...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Sorry to hear about that Derek. I realize it won't help this time, but you should see an insurance agent and get a quote on renters insurance. It could have made this situation a lot better if you'd had a policy...
I was waiting for my student loan to buy the policy I had set up. I don't have the $300 it would have taken to pay the deductable anyway.
Derek Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Trustee

This reminds me of a situation that I had while I was in college.

I sat on the train reading a book called "Stupid White Man" that someone told me that I should read with 2 bags next to my feet. One of them is having my camcorder inside with 3 tapes and the other bag having my video assignment. When I looked down I saw that one of them was missing and it ends up being the bag with the camcorder inside and what made the situation even worse is that one of the tapes that was inside that bag was of my vacation in the Azores back from 2002 and I’ve shot lots but this tape was very special.

Even though I lost a Panasonic DV953 camcorder and a very special tape I was very lucky to not have lost the other bag because it contained a tape that was my final assignment for the semester that showed the best tape to tape editing that I’ve ever done.

I sometimes think about if I would rather have lost the other bag instead but if that happed I would have failed the editing course. At least in the bright side, both didn’t get stolen. It’s a dream but maybe one day someone will give me back that tape because to me it is worth a lot more than the camcorder even though I paid about 1200 dollars for it and I bought that camcorder in the military the same month it came out and to think that I was happy to have saved 300 dollars because the camcorder retailed for 1500 dollars.

That’s one thing good about being in the military is that you can get electronics a whole lot cheaper.

I actually joked to myself one day thinking that it was Michael Moore’s fault.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I was saddened to read your post Derek. There's you off hard at work so that you can pay your taxes so that out of work people can claim dole-outs from the government, and what do they do?

Well, they're not going to work for starters so they watch you leave your front door and know that they've got 8 to 10 hours to turn you over. Theives are the scum of the earth seems to be putting it too kindly.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Derek Lewis,
I know it may be a hassle to get law enforcement involved in this situation but have you ever thought about getting to the bottom of this by using them. There is no guarantee that you will get your stuff back by calling the police but you never know.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Derek Lewis,
I know it may be a hassle to get law enforcement involved in this situation but have you ever thought about getting to the bottom of this by using them. There is no guarantee that you will get your stuff back by calling the police but you never know.

I called. I told them I had serial numbers, ect. for everything. They said there's nothing they can do, really. They said I can come by the station and fill out a report.

I had about $1200 of motocross gear and about $1400 worth of snowboards stolen over the summer, and I figured out exactly who did it, and the cops wouldn't go even question the guy.

So, I have a sore outlook on law enforcement...
Derek Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media