Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 24th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #76
Major Player

* * Ifp/new York - - Ifp/los Angeles * *

I am looking for information regarding IFP.

I plan on joining the organization to network and develop my business.

What have your experiences been regarding IFP?

Has it helped?

What do you deem as advantages to joining IFP?

Disadvantages? Besides the 100 bucks or so...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #77
Major Player

it's only $85 bucks to join ifp/la

networking, equiptment and room rentals cheap, networking, director/producer series - did i mention networking? free movies!

check out the website http://www.ifpwest.org

biggest disadvantage for me at least is the resourse library isn't open on the weekends and I can't get there durning the week before it closes.

they have free member orientation meetings, check it out and decide for yourself
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #78
Major Player

Mark,

Thanks for the response...

I am going forward and join here in New York, with the intent to join IFP-West in the near future.

Have you found work via this route?

I'm fixing my budget so that early next month I can join. Its just nice to know if, "Yeah, I joined IFP, and met some great people, and they saw my work, and I found employment!"

Thanks!

Cheers!
Old March 27th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #79
Major Player

* * Just Tears Please * *

MEDIOCRITY - - The script of the film needed some work. Its seemed very redundant, seeing the same similar images over and over again. Good versus Evil. This film is a cliche after a cliche etc. Nothing new hear folks.

The jungle scenes at night were very hard to watch. Because I was struggling to make out any semblance of detail in the blacks and shadows. I hope that was a choice of the filmmaker/cinematographer. The editing was probably what salvaged this film.

The characters were skipped along the top of the water and for the most part a hollow shell. The featured under-fives and extras were good, but then they were shot.

I think Bruce Willis was better in the original, "Die Hard" and "Pulp Fiction."

My 10.00 bucks could have been spent on something better than this mechanized film.

Cheers!

Derrick
Old April 1st, 2003, 12:35 AM   #80
Regular Crew

dolby 5.1 in audio discs?

I know there are some pro audio people in this forum, so here goes:

Is it possible to have 5.1 sound in an audio disc (played on a set-top DVD player) ?

Does it have to be a DVD or can it be used on a CD?

The subwoofer channel works just like the other channels, right? The output frequencies will not be cut by the decoder, right?

(If this sound stupid, it's because I'm planning a 6-speaker setup in an exhibition. I don't need the classic 5.1 setup, but what I do need is 6 similar channels I can pan the sound with).

Thanks.
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:42 AM   #81
RED Code Chef

I know for sure that it is possible with dts audio. A quick search
on google confirmed that at least someone claims it can also
be done with Dolby Digital (AC3) on a standard audio CD. Click
here for a page with instructions.

If this doesn't work out there are probably a lot more tutorials
on the web if you do some searching with google or google groups.

Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:54 AM   #82

AC3 is the defacto standard for 5.1 surround sound on DVD. DTS is a lesser known format. The woofer channel, AKA LFE, is really not like the other channels. In this case there is some frequency filtering not applied to the other channels. If you're interested in producing ac3 on DVD, check out the Sonic Foundry website for info on Vegas 4 and DVD Architect. This combination of software will allow you to produce 5.1 AC3 surround sound on DVD.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Camera sale scams

Your first "hint" that a camera deal is "too good to be ture" is the fact that it is going too cheep. The second is the claim for an "international warranty" Cameras imported by distributors in the U.S. only have a U.S. Warranty, the only camera I know of that was sold with a real international passport was the 1960 Contax SLR made in West Germany. Since the late 60's when "gray market" equipment started to become a problem, all imported/exported equipment with searl no's are carefully controlled and only legit importer/distributors (i.e. Cannon of U.S.) will offer U.S. warranty. Becareful of this type of scam and other grey market deals, that are illegally imported, they have NO warranty and if its a scam, you get NO product. Kind of like the money broker, that wants you to deposit money for him (money laundering scam also illegal in U.S.) in return of a percentage -- you pay transfer fees upfront!!!

On real legal international transactions, always use a legit internationall bank like Citibank, that's how I handle purchases from overseas; the bank holds the funds pending arrival and inspection of the equipment. The bank provides a "letter of cerdit" to the seller, and releases the funds when notified. NEVER use money wire transfers to unkown banks or individuals, anyone asking for this type of payment is risky!!!! Know who you are doing business with first, and you won't get burned -- Hey buddy, wanna buy a watch? As the seller opens his jacket showing a dozen watches inside -- this is the same kind of deal If its TOO good to be ture, chances are it is. Al Holston
Old April 14th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #84
Outer Circle

Handling Scam Spam

This is how the regulars handle scam-spam'ers at dv.com. (Funny.)

http://www.dv.com/forums/showReplies...2&tid=62801887
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #85
Regular Crew

help with laptop (win95 disks)

HI, Here is my dilemma:

I bought a used laptop. The person I bought it from wiped the hard drive for security reasons and because I told her that I had the windows 95 installer CD.

My problem is the laptop won't recognize the external cd-rom (may be defective) but the external floppy does work.

Would anyone here still have the floppy disks to install windows 95? If you did would you be willing to make a folder on a cd-r with each disk in a seperate folder, and have me send them a sase envelope? Or send it electronically?

Otherwise does anyone have any suggestions for how to copy my files on my win95 installer cd to floppy disks or to the laptop.

Thank you,

Jed
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #86
Major Player

go here to get what you need

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:08 AM   #87
Regular Crew

An Idea...

I was thinking about websites and how important they are to the marketing and distribution of our projects. So I thought, why not have a forum for critiqing sites -- helping each other in the areas of how best to make web sites that suit the product/sevice being offered, maybe tips on search engine placement, where to get good hossting deals, etc. I've seen many people bring up subjects like these all over the board, might as well have a place just for them.

What do you think, Chris? Everyone?

-Shawn
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:53 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Help with commercial theme song?

Do anyone know whats the song name they used for the Mc Donald commercial where they had the Mc Double guy ("How you doing, how you doing") fall inlove with a girl? Do anyone remember? I just want to use that song for something I'm shooting.
Sam Looc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:07 AM   #89
Outer Circle

Shake

Here's something media related. I just logged on for a quick look (3:04 am), and----SHAKE! A little earthquake. I hope we don't have more tonight.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 02:27 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Cool 360 interior/exterior dolly shot

The shot in this trailer moves from the interior of the set to the exterior seemingly in one take but if you look closely it is either a morph or a quick cut each time it transitions. It's a cool shot though.

Bad Boys II

www.apple.com/trailers/columbia/badboys2/
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media