Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 18th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #106
High School Student

Any good ideas?

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/vegas90/

Since I am crappy with ideas, I am wondering if anyone would like to share any creative ideas they would have come to mind for a video for that. Even though I have no chance of winning something like that, it would still be fun to try, but I need a good idea first, and i'm terrible with ideas...

Any whacky ideas would be appreciated, thanks.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:00 PM   #107
Outer Circle

E-mail me, and I'll tell you a good one (idea).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #108
Outer Circle

supervideo hacked?

Supervideo.com is down and someone gave me this link:

http://firefly.sparse.org/~mrt/cgi-b...supervideo.com
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #109
Outer Circle

I guess they fixed it. It was down a whole day.
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #110
Wrangler

What's up with the DV.com boards?

I know that many people here also frequent the discussion groups at dv.com. Today I can't even to open the boards at all. They have been unbearably slow for quite some time. During the past week there's been an odd intermittent glitch such that when I click on a topic instead of having it displayed in my browser, instead I get an error message that I'm attempting to download an unknown type of file.

Now I realize that this is a free service that DV provides and therefore it's hard to expect any level of service, but for such a prestigious magazine I find all this rather disgraceful. Especially when you compare it to the exceptional response time I've gotten spoiled with here at DV Info Net Community (thanks Chris! :-)

So I'm just wondering if anyone around here know's what's up at dv.com, or if they even care about the situation? It's really a shame to have such a fantastic magazine, and so many helpful people who would like to use their site but just can't tolerate the problems.

Actually, DV is one of those really unique publications that really get people excited. More than once I've been reading the latest edition at a restaurant or on the train and a total stranger will come up and say "Wow, you're reading DV, what a great magazine", then start a conversation. I can't ever remember experiencing this phenomenon with any other publication. I hope somebody will address their web problems.

But in the meantime, I'm certainly content to just enjoy hanging out with all the great people around here! :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #111
High School Student

Yeah, it's been like that for me, for a while also. I think the whole forum system they use is crap. They need to switch back to something like this, vBulliten, or whatever...and fix the website up and get it on a faster server.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #112
Permanently Banned

Culture of a nation vs. art film popularity

I think that a good measure of nation's culture wuold be a ratio of commercial film to art film box office revenues. I wonder if anyone knows of someone tracking such trends for various world markets and how does US compare to other countries?
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:27 AM   #113
Permanently Banned

Matrix 2 vs. Spider Man

Total projections (eventually reached figures) in millions of dollars for top movies playing this weekend:

Matrix Reloaded (Warner)
$340 m - $345 m

Baby Day Care (Sony)
$118 m - $123 m

X2 (Fox)
$215 m - $220 m

Down with Love (Fox)
$25 m - $30 m

Lizzie McGuire (Disney)
$40 m - $45 m

Anger Management (Sony)
$135 m - $140 m

Identity (Sony)
$50 m - $55 m

Holes (Disney)
$60 m - $65 m

In comparison Spider Man (Sony) made a total of 405 million in the US. Matrix 2 (Warner) will come close to this figure.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #114
Regular Crew

I wouldn't pay a dime to see em all.
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #115
Wrangler

Matrix Reloaded was worth at least a dime, if only for the visual effects.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #116
Permanently Banned

Best ingredients for a good film, or video.

romance, suspense, or fun -- or a combination

artistic cinematography and sound effects and music for accent and emotion. Well balanced combination can evoke semi-hypnotic state in the audience. When that happens, you can be sure that you made a good film. These are the movies that people get hooked on and want to see again.

good story with only as much dialogue as necessary

dynamics, not just same pace throughout the picture

good acting

large screen, proper watching distance for that particular type of picture, quality sound and proper sound level

Some examples of good commercial pictures that had the proper ingredients: Enemy at The Gates, Born Identity, Shining; to a great extent also Streets of Fire, XXX, etc., etc.

Camera work on a good film must resemble camera work on a good music video. The camera that moves, the lights that flash, and good music, can create this semi-hypnotic effect.

When making any kind of video, you should use as much of these ingredients as you can. When ti comes to sound, you don't need surround sound; good stereo sound will do fine.
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #117
Wrangler

Strange aspect ratios

I've been watching the History Channel special on the Tsars tonight, and noticed something which I've seen in other places recently. It appears to have been shot in 16:9 widescreen, however when they letterbox it for regular 4:3 broadcast they don't show the full frame. There's just a slight black band at the top and bottom of the screen. I think I've seen this called 14:9. Just curious as to the rationale for this? Seems like they want to go widescreen but wimp out, thinking that Joe Sixpack doesn't like letterboxed video.

I realize that letterboxing is one of those topics that elicits strong negative reactions from some people. Personally I much prefer seeing the original composition that the cinematographer (or videographer) chose, and don't mind the black bands. The only channels which seem at all commited to presenting movies in their original format seem to be Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and sometimes the Sci-Fi channel. It's big disappointment that American Movie Classics (AMC) runs all their stuff as pan and scan 4:3, and also Bravo, which shows many of the "arty" classics does the same.

Maybe we'll just have to wait a few more years for HDTV to get affordable. However that won't even solve the problem of 2.35:1 which would still need to be letterboxed.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #118
RED Code Chef

14:9 is very popular in England. It was introduced as a middle
road for everyone. This way your 16:9 widescreen TV can display
it as 16:9 chopping of a small bit and on a standard 4:3 TV you
don't get as much black bars.... There was a document somewhere
about this

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Errors&Ommissions GOOF

Hey, the "Errors and Ommisions" office really dropped the ball on "Bruce Almighty". Apparently God's phone number in the film has a common exchange prefix instead of the usual 555 that they give fictitious movie phone numbers.

Several people are getting constant calls!

Can't figure out how that one got by the director, let alone E&O.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM   #120
RED Code Chef

Funny indeed.... Perhaps there is a story on the internet somewhere
about this?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media