DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/78-various-totem-posts-2001-2003-a.html)

Rick Spilman May 30th, 2003 07:18 AM

I did a Google news search for "bruce almighty" "gods phone number" and got 135 articles! Apparently folks in phone exchanges from all over the country have been discovered that they have "god's number" and have been receiving lots of phone calls. Here is one of the articles:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/58235.htm

Charles French June 1st, 2003 07:24 AM

Merle Haggard

At 2:30 CST my wife , son & I will be at the Ford Center for performing arts in Oxford,Ms to see the great Merle Haggard. My son is 8 yrs old and loves Merle. I have introduced him to all genre's of music from the time he was born. At 8 yrs old I'm glad to see that some of his favorite are the likes of Merle, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry and assorted bluegrass artist. Oh he just discovered ZZ TOP. Anyway this should be a great concert. The Ford Center is a new facility and seats about 2K.

John Locke June 1st, 2003 07:29 AM

Merle Haggard! Boy...just hearing that name floods me with memories...and makes me want to grab a beer.

Enjoy your concert. Come back and tell us how it was. And tell your son he's got fine taste in music.

Matt Betea June 1st, 2003 11:52 AM

Website Hosting

Hello,
A question for everyone with a website, who did you go with to host? Right now I was looking at Dotster.com, Powweb.com and Emegaweb.net. I'm just looking for a reliable place. Thanks.

matt

Paul Sedillo June 1st, 2003 01:40 PM

Re: Website Hosting

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Betea : Hello,
A question for everyone with a website, who did you go with to host? Right now I was looking at Dotster.com, Powweb.com and Emegaweb.net. I'm just looking for a reliable place. Thanks.

matt -->>>

It really comes down to what you are going to do with it. If you plan on streaming video, you should look at a provider who supports this - i.e. high bandwidth allocation.

What will you be using the site for? Based on that I can make some recommendations.

Matt Betea June 1st, 2003 06:01 PM

Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the first post. Nothing streaming for now. It'll be a flash site to host photos. I registered a domain with dotster for 2 years, so now I just need the space. Thank you.

matt

Dan Holly June 5th, 2003 10:38 PM

How many FPS can your eyes process?

This is a not so recent article, but I just stumbled across it in the last day or 2......

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Ken Tanaka June 5th, 2003 11:26 PM

Very interesting article, Dan. Thanks for passing that along to us.

Joseph George June 8th, 2003 01:24 PM

Hi Def Expo and Cinegear Expo

Cinegear Expo: Sony CineAlta was everywhere. Whoever was demonstarting their products, it was in conjunction with Sony CineAlta. Some were naturally privately labeled, like Panavision, etc. I would say that there were about 60 of them there. I saw something like 4 Thomson Vipers and about 3 Panasonic Varicams. Panasonic had a booth there. Sony did not. Sony did not have a booth at the High Def Expo either but everyone demonstrated their products with CineAlta. Varicam was in the Panasonic booth only.

There was also display at the Cinegear Expo of an English made prototpe of 16 mm camera, where instead of the film magazine you could install an HD back with nice flip out screen. It was made in cooperation with Ikagami and is made to feed HD arrays. The CCD is 2/3". Production should start this year.

Don Parrish June 9th, 2003 07:26 AM

American Idol

Does anyone know (for a fact) or during the show have heard someone say if royalties are paid for the songs the contestants are singing.

Richard Alvarez June 9th, 2003 11:42 AM

Count on it. It's not just a good idea... it's the law.

Joe Carney June 9th, 2003 04:23 PM

Contempt

Recently I was able to watch Jean Luc Godards 'Contempt'. I was impressed with his use of Camera movement and the long continuous takes. Things you don't normally see anymore. This is a movie about making movies. Based on the comentaries about the film, he felt he had sold out somewhat when he made it.

So he paid his producers back without them realizing it. Even his use of color spoke about the multinational team financing the movie, and how he was forced to cast Briget Bardot to get financing. Mix in some direct attacks on facism and hollywood style movie making, and you have an excellent satirical film.

Any comments about the visual aspects of the film from some of the cinemetagraphers that hang around here would be appreciated.

Mark Austin June 9th, 2003 08:34 PM

TiVo to sell viewer data to advertisers and network programmers

TiVo, the manufacturer of personal recording devices for television, has revealed it will soon report the viewing habits of its subscribers to advertisers and network programmers.

Under the new plan, TiVo will tell advertisers which commercials its subscribers watched in their entirety during an episode of a comedy, such as "Friends".

The new audience measurement system ? capable of creating a second-by-second viewing record ? represents a potential new revenue stream for TiVo, a company that?s trying to remake itself into a media services company. The new data service would represent income beyond TiVo?s standard monthly subscriber fees.

TiVo currently allows its subscribers to opt-out of the monitoring of their viewing habits. However, a TiVo spokesman told Reuters that most do not do so. Under the new plan, TiVo will tell advertisers which commercials its subscribers watched in their entirety during an episode of a comedy, such as "Friends." It can, for example, also inform "Friends" producers of how many viewers changed the channel when a particular character entered an episode.

TiVo has targeted a viewing sample of one million subscribers by early 2004.

Maybe Orwell was right?

Dylan Couper June 9th, 2003 11:23 PM

online casting boards

Looking for an online forum for placing casting notices in Vancouver. Do any Vancouverites know of the biggest/best ones?

Andrew Petrie June 10th, 2003 07:45 AM

I have vacation time to use...

... and I was wondering if there's any possibility I could visit a real production set and observe (I do have broadcasting experience but I don't think anyone would trust me). I've never been on a real motion picture set before (or a network TV show). I think it'd be a tremendous learning experience.

Are there any connections out there?...

I could go to a beach somewhere and soak up the rays and fine ladies.... but it really ain't all that productive. :)

ooo I just noticed I'm a 'trustee' now, wohoo!