Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:18 AM   #121
Major Player

I did a Google news search for "bruce almighty" "gods phone number" and got 135 articles! Apparently folks in phone exchanges from all over the country have been discovered that they have "god's number" and have been receiving lots of phone calls. Here is one of the articles:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/58235.htm
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:24 AM   #122
Regular Crew

Merle Haggard

At 2:30 CST my wife , son & I will be at the Ford Center for performing arts in Oxford,Ms to see the great Merle Haggard. My son is 8 yrs old and loves Merle. I have introduced him to all genre's of music from the time he was born. At 8 yrs old I'm glad to see that some of his favorite are the likes of Merle, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry and assorted bluegrass artist. Oh he just discovered ZZ TOP. Anyway this should be a great concert. The Ford Center is a new facility and seats about 2K.
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:29 AM   #123
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Merle Haggard! Boy...just hearing that name floods me with memories...and makes me want to grab a beer.

Enjoy your concert. Come back and tell us how it was. And tell your son he's got fine taste in music.
Old June 1st, 2003, 11:52 AM   #124
Regular Crew

Website Hosting

Hello,
A question for everyone with a website, who did you go with to host? Right now I was looking at Dotster.com, Powweb.com and Emegaweb.net. I'm just looking for a reliable place. Thanks.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:40 PM   #125
Major Player

Re: Website Hosting

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Betea : Hello,
A question for everyone with a website, who did you go with to host? Right now I was looking at Dotster.com, Powweb.com and Emegaweb.net. I'm just looking for a reliable place. Thanks.

matt -->>>

It really comes down to what you are going to do with it. If you plan on streaming video, you should look at a provider who supports this - i.e. high bandwidth allocation.

What will you be using the site for? Based on that I can make some recommendations.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 06:01 PM   #126
Regular Crew

Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the first post. Nothing streaming for now. It'll be a flash site to host photos. I registered a domain with dotster for 2 years, so now I just need the space. Thank you.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #127
Major Player

How many FPS can your eyes process?

This is a not so recent article, but I just stumbled across it in the last day or 2......

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
Old June 5th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #128
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Very interesting article, Dan. Thanks for passing that along to us.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #129
Permanently Banned

Hi Def Expo and Cinegear Expo

Cinegear Expo: Sony CineAlta was everywhere. Whoever was demonstarting their products, it was in conjunction with Sony CineAlta. Some were naturally privately labeled, like Panavision, etc. I would say that there were about 60 of them there. I saw something like 4 Thomson Vipers and about 3 Panasonic Varicams. Panasonic had a booth there. Sony did not. Sony did not have a booth at the High Def Expo either but everyone demonstrated their products with CineAlta. Varicam was in the Panasonic booth only.

There was also display at the Cinegear Expo of an English made prototpe of 16 mm camera, where instead of the film magazine you could install an HD back with nice flip out screen. It was made in cooperation with Ikagami and is made to feed HD arrays. The CCD is 2/3". Production should start this year.
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:26 AM   #130
Major Player

American Idol

Does anyone know (for a fact) or during the show have heard someone say if royalties are paid for the songs the contestants are singing.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #131
Inner Circle

Count on it. It's not just a good idea... it's the law.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #132
Inner Circle

Contempt

Recently I was able to watch Jean Luc Godards 'Contempt'. I was impressed with his use of Camera movement and the long continuous takes. Things you don't normally see anymore. This is a movie about making movies. Based on the comentaries about the film, he felt he had sold out somewhat when he made it.

So he paid his producers back without them realizing it. Even his use of color spoke about the multinational team financing the movie, and how he was forced to cast Briget Bardot to get financing. Mix in some direct attacks on facism and hollywood style movie making, and you have an excellent satirical film.

Any comments about the visual aspects of the film from some of the cinemetagraphers that hang around here would be appreciated.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #133
Regular Crew

TiVo to sell viewer data to advertisers and network programmers

TiVo, the manufacturer of personal recording devices for television, has revealed it will soon report the viewing habits of its subscribers to advertisers and network programmers.

Under the new plan, TiVo will tell advertisers which commercials its subscribers watched in their entirety during an episode of a comedy, such as "Friends".

The new audience measurement system ? capable of creating a second-by-second viewing record ? represents a potential new revenue stream for TiVo, a company that?s trying to remake itself into a media services company. The new data service would represent income beyond TiVo?s standard monthly subscriber fees.

TiVo currently allows its subscribers to opt-out of the monitoring of their viewing habits. However, a TiVo spokesman told Reuters that most do not do so. Under the new plan, TiVo will tell advertisers which commercials its subscribers watched in their entirety during an episode of a comedy, such as "Friends." It can, for example, also inform "Friends" producers of how many viewers changed the channel when a particular character entered an episode.

TiVo has targeted a viewing sample of one million subscribers by early 2004.

Maybe Orwell was right?
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #134
Wrangler

online casting boards

Looking for an online forum for placing casting notices in Vancouver. Do any Vancouverites know of the biggest/best ones?
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:45 AM   #135
Major Player

I have vacation time to use...

... and I was wondering if there's any possibility I could visit a real production set and observe (I do have broadcasting experience but I don't think anyone would trust me). I've never been on a real motion picture set before (or a network TV show). I think it'd be a tremendous learning experience.

Are there any connections out there?...

I could go to a beach somewhere and soak up the rays and fine ladies.... but it really ain't all that productive. :)

ooo I just noticed I'm a 'trustee' now, wohoo!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media