DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/78-various-totem-posts-2001-2003-a.html)

John Locke September 26th, 2001 09:20 AM

Various TOTEM posts 2001 - 2003

Is anyone else out there tired of seeing absolutely perfectly lit scenes in today's movies? It's hard to suspend disbelief when a scene in a drama shows an average housewife strolling through a grocery story while wearing perfect makeup, designer clothers, and being perfectly lit.

I agree that there's a place for that kind of lighting. Ridley Scott's lighting techniques in Bladerunner and Alien are classic...and they suit the genre. What irritates me are the dramas focusing on gritty day-to-day existence that still use slick lighting techniques. It just doesn't match.

I recently saw "The Gift" which reminded me of the gritty, raw lighting techniques used in the 70s. It adds a lot to the atmosphere, I think. Imagine that movie being lit like "Rushmore"...which uses slick lighting, but that's perfect for its genre. If you switched the lighting styles of the two movies, the results would be completely different. Unfortunately, it seems that about 90% of the movies being cranked out today automatically opt for the perfect "slick" lighting regardless of whether it fits the look or not.

Any thoughts on this? What movies stand out in your memory for excellent lighting? Has anyone tried a full range of lighting techniques with the XL-1? Any success? I'd like to know so I can check them out.

Here's a few of the movies that really stand out in my memory for their "look":

-Casablanca (selective lighting, creative shadow effects on walls)
-Dr. Strangelove (harsh, contrasty to fit mood)
-The Parralax View (gritty, raw, realistic)
-Barry Lyndon (natural lighting and candles only!)
-Bladerunner (futuristic, moody)
-Legend (soft, fantasy-like, chiaroscuro)
-Alien (dark, moody, eerie)
-Pleasantville ("slick" looking, made to resemble an early TV show)

Chris Hurd September 30th, 2001 09:06 PM

I know exactly what you mean, John...

A lot of today's blockbusters have this hyper-real sheen on them that makes them look completely fake to me. Hollywood lighting tries hard... too hard, in my opinion... to make movies look *better* than real. It's gone to such an extreme now, that I think it works against their best intentions.

I have not seen "The Gift" -- I'll look out for it -- but agree with you about "Rushmore" (shot in Houston, by the way).

Glad to see you mention "Barry Lyndon." This is one of my all-time favorite Kubrick films, and one that's often overlooked.

Talk about gritty, raw lighting to match the mood... I'm reminded of the Carol Reed's 1949 masterpiece, "The Third Man" with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles.

I recently saw an advance copy of Greg Salman's "Fury," a retelling of MacBeth shot in South Central L.A. with an XL1. Most all the prinicipals are African-American, which calls for expert lighting to get the skin tones to expose properly. I was very impressed with Salman's use of light in this regard. "Fury" has been picked up for direct-to-video distribution, so hopefully you'll be able to see it too, if you're interested. I highly recommend it!

Mike Butler October 23rd, 2001 09:38 AM

Hey quick question for anybody:
got any info on how "The Tao of Steve" was shot?

thanks!

Chris Hurd October 24th, 2001 09:00 AM

I did a quick search on Google (www.google.com, the ultimate search engine) on Tao of Steve, to include Digital Video. Came up with a bunch of hits, but looking through two pages worth, I could not find Tao of Steve with Digital Video in the same sentance.

Conclusion: inconclusive. If you have the time, try the same search I did and have fun going through the results!

Daniel H. Buchmann November 3rd, 2001 12:23 AM

episode I

just got episode one on dvd. cant wait do listen to the audio commentary!!! also, special edition holy grail is on sale. gettin my christmas wishlist together soon!!!

Rich Terlaje January 28th, 2002 07:19 PM

Herbie Hancock - The New Standard

Jazzed up cover tunes. All-Star band!

Mario Auxilly February 20th, 2002 12:20 AM

Spiderman

This is movie I really want to see even more than star wars I look forwarded in being a kid again?

John Locke March 28th, 2002 09:29 AM

Recommendation-Web Related

(All things media...right?)

Every so often,...not very often, actually...you receive customer service so far above and beyond the call of duty that it just leaves you speechless. That happened today with PerlServices.net.

I know some of you out there are web developers like me and so I wanted to pass on that Jim Melanson at Perl Services took control of a particularly problematic CGI program I was installing, corresponded with me numerous times trying to help me fix the problem, and then finally wound up going in and fixing the problem on our server himself...and all at no charge above the price of the program! (which, by the way, is very reasonably priced)

What's more...it was service with a smile.

If you ever need any Perl/CGI scripts...pay them a visit.

Bill Ravens May 2nd, 2002 08:12 AM

Democratization of the Media

Talk about making/producing/directing video....and the democratization of the same, check this story:

http://news.excite.com/article/id/54716|oddlyenough|05-02-2002::09:03|reuters.html

After I left a theater that had shown "Grand Prix" with James Garner, I drove like a LeMans champion. I wonder what I'll feel like after seeing the movie in this story...;-)

John Locke May 2nd, 2002 10:16 AM

Better shine your dancing shoes, Bill. It's a musical.

kristin2 May 6th, 2002 07:17 PM

Digital Video Collaboration Workshop

Hope you don't mind me posting this here.
I want to let anyone who will be in Boston/Cape Cod area this summer know about this workshop.
It will be 3 days, july 27th thru aug 3rd and taught by Leighton Pierce. Should be a wonderful experience with digital video, capturing images, editing and working with an artist in the field. For those interested, more information at www.woodsholefilmfestival.org (limited to 20 people)
Thanks.

Chris Hurd May 6th, 2002 07:44 PM

This is worthy of the Announcements area so I'm copying it to that forum. Thanks,

Andrew Leigh May 11th, 2002 11:50 AM

Steve Morse

Hi,

just been listening to the Steve Morse Band (Stressfest) while reading interviews on his site. It has been a while since I have seen a muso so modest.

"It is said that modest men have a lot to be modest about"

He is really one of the classiest acts i've heard for a while.

Cheers
Andrew

Ken Tanaka May 11th, 2002 07:52 PM

Sounds interesting, Andrew. Where is his site?

Andrew Leigh May 12th, 2002 02:08 AM

Hi Ken,

www.stevemorse.com

Cheers
Andrew

dvrecording May 13th, 2002 10:45 PM

help me if you can

I would really like to find titles of books that has some good hints and tips on:

Visual Effects (how-to) (compositing)(adding particles)(interacting 3d objects with videoclips)(creating water, fire,clouds and rain effects)

Picture composition (cinematography)

Aesthetics of Editing (montage)(color correction)

Aesthetics of Stage and Costume Design

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris Hurd May 16th, 2002 09:16 AM

Howdy from Texas,

Do a forum search on books. We've discussed a lot of different books about a variety of topics. Searching for those threads will help you find those discussions. And we can always discuss more titles. Hope this helps,

dvrecording May 17th, 2002 12:39 AM

Howdy Chris

howdy from Southeast Asia the Philippines,

Thank you for your reply. Chris, I am glad that in these past few days I am learning so much about making feature movies on digital video with the help of your wonderful dv forum the dvinfo community. A guy from sweden who is also a member of dvinfo community is also helping me about color correction using ulead media studio pro.

Chris, I presently have a one chip camcorder, sony dcr-trv 310, because of image limitation in low light condition I am planning to upgrade my gear soon.

On a lighter note, last monday I receive an e-mail from a video camcorder seller based in London and He is willing to let go of a sony vx2000 for only $300 us dollars. I will try e-mailing him again today. He stated about sending payment via western union.

Any comments about the vx2000 for only $300 and the western union money transfer system.

Chris, Thank you for sharing your talent and expertise.

I am happy now that my dv dreams are slowly turning into reality.

I will soon be creating my first video project a docu-musical about poverty and hope.

You are truly a digital video guru.

Take good care.

Jim Pulfer June 6th, 2002 08:13 AM

Follow the bouncing Sony Cam

Anyone watch the trailer for Jackass the movie?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/jackass_the_movie.html
Did you notice the PD-150 the passenger is holding in the golfcart....it's fun to try and track the cam as they roll the golf cart! Man, not a classic movie, but that's something you might have found me and one of my buddies doing about 10 years ago (when my body still might have had a chance at recovery!).

Chris Hurd June 6th, 2002 11:08 PM

Ah, the ubiquitous PD150. Seems like everywhere on cable or satellite, watch for awhile and you'll see a PD150 or XL1S. These two cameras rule the roost it seems. DV is all over TV. As it should be!

;-)

Rob Lohman June 12th, 2002 08:15 AM

SW ep 2: 2.2 million pixels, ep3: 10 million?

probably I am starting a new large thread here, but according
to producer Rick McCallum they might use a new digital camera
for Episode three, this camera will have 10 million pixel chips
(and better lenses), yikes! Even Canon seems to make new
lenses for this stuff. To quote: "we're going to get a new
heightened level of reality that film cannot capture."

Read the whole story here:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2002/06/news20020610.html

Another quote:
"We had a digital summit here on the Ranch with some major filmmakers who are interested in the technology -- including Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Oliver Stone, Ron Howard, Francis Ford Coppola, and Robert Rodriquez. We talked a lot about the best ways for the audience to see the movie you spend so much time and money on."

Some names look familiair?

The question which is better aside, we do live in interesting times!

K. Forman June 12th, 2002 11:50 AM

Gee... to be a member of that elite club!

Ken Tanaka June 12th, 2002 01:37 PM

That would have been one heck of a card game, too.

Eric Emerick July 19th, 2002 08:07 PM

Cinema Secrets

Been watching Cinema Secrets on AMC channel. Interesting stuff, like a "how'd they do that"? tell all about special effects for a given movie. They're doing "Blade II" right now. Top shelf effects.

Michael Wisniewski August 20th, 2002 10:49 AM

Recommended market stats and research?

Anyone have a resource for film & video market statistics and research?

We'd like to target our next project towards a particular market to see if we can make a little money :-) Or at the very least, know which market to target with our next video ... :-p

Jeff Donald August 23rd, 2002 02:15 AM

These are trade groups that usually have some kind of market data. Photo Marketing Association International (PMA). Annual trade show usually in March and the next one is in Vegas. One of the biggest trade shows in the US. National Association of Broadcasters (NAB). Annual show usually in April and the next one is also in Vegas.

Jeff

Matt Betea August 24th, 2002 12:41 AM

anyone know

the font or similar font that was used in "Cube"? i've just about gone through eyewire's entire selection and adobe's and itc's. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

B. Moore August 28th, 2002 08:36 PM

Try fontfreak.com they have 100's. Most freeware, a few shareware.
Bruce

Mark Thomas September 15th, 2002 05:01 AM

S-VIDEO onto VCR

I'm looking for a VCR that allows a camcorder to pass through an S-VIDEO cable. Anyone know such a model? I'm in the UK.

Bryan Beasleigh September 16th, 2002 08:32 PM

That would be PAL?

Jason Wood October 10th, 2002 10:15 PM

If you're just making dubs...use an SVHS deck.

Rik Sanchez November 11th, 2002 07:46 PM

DLP Theater Listings

Want to find a theater that has a DLP Projector, check out the DLP website and use their Cinema Listings search engine, plus you can read up on the technology.

http://www.dlp.com

It even can tell you what movies are showing and you can search by country.

John Locke November 11th, 2002 08:47 PM

Great site, Rik! Thanks.

I'm holding out on buying an HDTV. Japan news just released the announcement of new technology that will allow not only large screens that are bigger and thinner than the plasma screens today, but also allow you to roll them up like a projection screen. Pretty cool.

Bryan Johannes Onel November 13th, 2002 04:57 PM

50 Years and a moment website.

Hi there everyone,

I made a website for my upcoming short called 50 Years and a moment. Its not quite finished, but there will be a production diary, making off's and lots of pictures so please bookmark and take a look from time to time.
If you'd like to help with this project, please email me to the addres specified in the contact section of the website.

John Locke November 13th, 2002 05:48 PM

Bryan,

You've piqued my curiosity. Have a URL so that we can take a peak at what you're working on?

Bryan Johannes Onel November 13th, 2002 05:49 PM

Oops,

Oops,

hehe, i meant to post the URL here.

http://www.50yearsandamoment.tk

Here it is then :D

C ya!

John Locke November 19th, 2002 07:55 PM

Adios, James

James Coburn just passed away...he was always one of my favorites.

http://www.imdb.com

Robert Knecht Schmidt November 20th, 2002 01:44 AM

Think he'll still promote his chicken sternum pills posthumously?

John Locke November 24th, 2002 01:00 AM

"The King is Alive"

Does anyone know what type of camera or cameras were used to make "The King is Alive"? Any opinions on the film itself?

Joe Carney November 26th, 2002 12:37 PM

PAL PD100, at least thats what it says at the DV film list. Pretty good job huh?