GPS: The best gadget I have ever bought - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 9th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I just love it when she says "Please turn right"...and I don't. Must drive her CRAzy.

I'm just waiting for the day she totally loses it and starts cussing me out in that adorable Brit accent.

(Navigon 5000. Don't buy one.)
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Yes Dear!

Yup, love the female voice on my garmin. It is just like having a wife there, turn left, and I answer, "Yes dear!" And, if you miss a turn or change course it's, "recalculating, recalculating, recalculating!

Mike
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #18
RED Code Chef

I always reply "Yes mam!" when Hertz's NeverLost system directs me somewhere :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
I always reply "Yes mam!" when Hertz's NeverLost system directs me somewhere :)

Never married huh! :)
Old November 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #20
New Boot

GPS, again

I've been using the DeLorme program on my laptop (I believe they all use Delorme as thier basic program). Purchased a year and a half ago for $120 at Office Depot. It includes the antenna that can sit on the dash and runs off of a USB port. It does EVERYTHING that has thus been described including the choice of three voices. I use an earbud in noisy situations for voice commands and it has voice recognition (sp?) so that you can ask it navigation questions like "where am I" and it will tell you. Since I suspect the majority of forum members already own a laptop and probably most take it with them to a job, this is a real bargain gadget. PROBLEM: My unit/program covers only the US other than major streets and highways in Canada. Possibly this has been addressed in later/oher versions.

The laptop gives you a full screen full of information (more tha you might really need) but it flags gas stations, taverns, Wall Marts, taverns, restaurants, taverns, taverns hotels and motels, taverns, etc.
Bob Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Howard
I've been using the DeLorme program on my laptop (I believe they all use Delorme as thier basic program).
Actually NavTeq provides the database for most GPS and mapping applications... http://www.navteq.com/

I used the Delorme application and their GPS with a serial connection on my Mac Laptop quite a number of years ago, before I had a dedicated unit. There are certainly advantages to having the larger screen, but it isn't really as practical as the dedicated units which are always there and feature easy to use touch screen interfaces.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #22
Major Player

GPS Bandwagon?

Just one more thing I don't need as my own navigational skills are well developed. One more thing on which I won't become dependent and then be helpless when if fails. If enough people become entrenched in using all sorts of these personal electronic gadgets (including cell-phones, pocket-pagers, etc.), the society will be paralyzed when the communication satellites go down.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media