DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Mac or PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/79441-mac-pc.html)

David L Watson November 12th, 2006 12:49 PM

Mac or PC

What would you recommend for a everyday editing computer a mac or Pc, I would be using the computer for video and voice over, video capture, editing and out to dvd, I might be using it for HD work but probably DV or a combination of both. I like the fact that the mac comes with a lot of free programs garageband Iphoto imovie and the such. I have a Few pc in my house and have used Adobe,
I’m not looking at becoming the next big Hollywood producer, but I want to make some nice animal documentary, I’m writing a script right now for wolves and another for the spirit bear or kermode bear. The wolves are found all over there are approximately 10 packs in a 10 mile area, and the pack I can follow is on my island. Here is a link http://www.kaienislandwolves.com
ok back to Pc or mac if a mac can I use a power book ? it would be useful in the field!
Thanks guys….
And check out my website www.kaienislandwolves.com.

John McCully November 12th, 2006 02:21 PM

That’s a bit like asking what religion would you recommend. And as with religious questions some people get very agitated regarding the answer. I use a PC while my buddy uses a Mac. We easily agree that with the latest Core 2 Duo machines it’s half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.

The latest laptop machines, both Mac and PC with Core 2 Duo and plenty of Ram installed, will knock your socks off.

So I would recommend either, iether, and both :-)

Your website: very cool.

Chris Hurd November 12th, 2006 02:26 PM

There is no right or wrong answer. It's strictly a matter of personal preference. The right one for you is the one that feels most comfortable to you in terms of interface, operation and budget. Pick the one you like.

Within the realm of digital video content creation, the split between Mac and PC is about 50-50. You can't go wrong either way.

Boyd Ostroff November 12th, 2006 02:31 PM

Actually, Macs are PC's now, they just run a different operating system. If you got a Mac laptop you would be able to boot it into either Windows or MacOS X. The major mail order vendors are offering them with both operating systems pre-installed for a reasonable price.

So if you have any doubts, this would give you the best of both worlds. I know a lot of PC/Windows people who are buying MacBooks and MacBook Pro's now just for this reason. In fact, I was recently talking to someone from Sony who is involved with marketing Vegas. He was a little embarrassed to admit that he just bought a MacBook Pro and was using it to run Vegas under Windows XP...

Mathieu Ghekiere November 13th, 2006 06:08 PM

So you could theoretically have a laptop with Final Cut Pro to edit, within OSX (or how that operation system from MAc is called) and then a normal Windows XP for all the rest (if you would want that)?

Seems nice!

David L Watson November 13th, 2006 06:39 PM

Thanks Guys
I grew up with Apple back in the day early 80's but of course i went to PC, I have been using windows for since 3.1 .....lol..I have a pinnacle Dv500, on a p4 right now, but i want to go faster. I would like to try Mac for the software and ease of use.

I like the idea of an mac pro is a good option since it has everything right out of the box.
here is the one i was looking at
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...oJP8xXU/2.?p=0

Specifications

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
* 120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
* SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
* Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
* Accessory Kit

Joe Carney November 14th, 2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Actually, Macs are PC's now, they just run a different operating system. If you got a Mac laptop you would be able to boot it into either Windows or MacOS X. The major mail order vendors are offering them with both operating systems pre-installed for a reasonable price.

So if you have any doubts, this would give you the best of both worlds. I know a lot of PC/Windows people who are buying MacBooks and MacBook Pro's now just for this reason. In fact, I was recently talking to someone from Sony who is involved with marketing Vegas. He was a little embarrassed to admit that he just bought a MacBook Pro and was using it to run Vegas under Windows XP...

Not surprised, since Sony consumer electronics and Madison Media are 2 completely different divisions, and Sonys' latest laptops are overpriced for what you get.
Good to know that works though:-)!

Glen Elliott November 14th, 2006 12:36 PM

Ok I'll be the first to be bold enough to give a solid statment. MAC

Why? All things being equall- OSX is prettier and more enjoyable to work with than XP. Vista is around the corner though. I've been a PC guy my entire life. I've recently been swayed by the "forbidden" fruit.

As been stated before, if you get the Mac and "neeeeed" to run a PC only app.- there's always Boot Camp. Good ol' Mr. Gates isn't as flexible. Then again maybe it can be Steve Jobs considering he'd never market the OSX opertating system for the PC platform.