DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Cameraman in Iraq? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/7977-cameraman-iraq.html)

Scott Silverman March 23rd, 2003 09:43 PM

Cameraman in Iraq?

Does anyone know how the cameramen, photographers, and journalists in Iraq were selected to be sent over? Did the news stations take volunteers of their reporters? Did they choose their best ones?

It sounds like a wonderful experience, despite the dangers. It is actually something I would love to pursue someday.

I saw a live broadcast of a reporter stationed with some U.S. troops. The broadcast was from a moving Bradley Fighting Vehicle. It was amazing. They must have had a portable dish relaying live video to a satellite . Is that how they would do something like that?

Thanks!

Adrian Douglas March 23rd, 2003 10:12 PM

Having been in active military situations Scott, I can tell you from experience it downright bloody frightening. However, when you return and reflect on your experience, you are a better person for the most.

I wish now that I had had my XL1 during my time so I could have documented it all. I am actually thinking about shooting a documentary about my old squadron when I return to Australia.

As to how the networks choose who goes, I can't help you that much. My guess would be they would have certain people trained to work under those conditions. You certainly don't take some Joe reporter off the street and drop him in a war zone.

There was a link to an article that talked about the technology being used in Iraq/Kuwait, but I can't seem to find it.

Matt Stahley March 24th, 2003 12:44 AM

heres a link
http://www.poynter.org/content/conte...w.asp?id=23585

Guest March 24th, 2003 02:20 AM

Iraq

If you were employed by a news agency they would have applied for a slot to have you embed with the troops. If you are a freelancer, you have to apply through the Pentagon directly. There were a limited number of slots available for all news agencies from all particpating nations.

I applied for one of the freelance slots about a month ago. I figured: "What the hell? Can't hurt to try." Two weeks ago I was notified by them I was approved. I'm guessing I was bumped up on the list because I'm a combat veteran, myself, and I have two sons serving over there right now (one an army scout, the other aboard U.S.S. Kitty Hawk). All I had to do was get a news agency or two to certify they'd use my stuff. Well, I had no trouble with that. But I couldn't get any of them to sponsor me (pay a salary and expenses), and I couldn't aford to do it on my own, so here I sit watching it on the tube like the rest of the world. I'm guessing they gave my slot to someone else by now.

BTW: I saw a thing on MSNBC tonight about Peter Arnett's coverage from Baghdad. Several times they showed his cameraman... and his XL1s!

Chris Hurd March 24th, 2003 03:18 AM

No doubt about it, DV is all over the Gulf. Lots of PD150's visible on the desert news as well.

The videophone is amazing technology, but it's looking like the resolution is 160x120? Anyboody know?

Zac Stein March 24th, 2003 09:29 AM

Adrian Douglas,

If you are from Melbourne, when you come back i would happy to help you out with the docu.

Zac

K. Forman March 24th, 2003 10:00 AM

Possibly the surest way to get sent to cover events like that, would be to get caught with the boss' daughter?

Tor Salomonsen March 24th, 2003 10:27 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Possibly the surest way to get sent to cover events like that, would be to get caught with the boss' daughter? -->>>

One of the good things about this forum is the full name requirement - so that some kinds of cheap or dirty comments are avoided - thought I. I mean if the current Iraq war is about abiding or not abiding by UN resolutions, you have just violated articles one and two of the human rights declaration:
1. All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights...
2. Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. ...

I know nothing about your boss or your boss' daughter. And you know nothing about mine.

Keith Loh March 24th, 2003 11:40 AM

Relax. He made a joke that was meant in fun. It may not have translated across very well.

K. Forman March 24th, 2003 01:51 PM

I say what I say for one of two reasons-
1)It was meant to be a joke
2)It is a valid fact befitting the topic
If it doesn't fit with catagory 2, then it was probably a joke. Either way, I am not shy, or embarrassed, nor will I be.

I will not, however, make light of anyone, based soley on their sex, race, or religion. I will treat ALL people equally.

Tor Salomonsen March 24th, 2003 02:27 PM

Okay, maybe I'm a bit jumpy and my reaction was heavier than strictly neccessary. I know it was meant to be a joke. But it was a sexist joke and the whole point I wanted to make was that I thought the world had progressed beyond that level. Or rather I hoped it had.

Keith Loh March 24th, 2003 02:31 PM

This board is a bit of a boy's club... :)

Ivan Hedley Enger March 24th, 2003 02:51 PM

Keep on making jokes Keith, I think it is very important to make people laugh a little bit. This world is much to serious already, and in times like this it can help us relax a little bit.

Please excuse me but I just want to say some words in norwegian to Tor (Nothing serious, just a welcome).

Velkommen ombord Tor, det er hyggelig med en landsmann her!

Ivan

K. Forman March 24th, 2003 03:11 PM

Keith and Ivan- Thank you for recognising my humor. It isn't always understood, but never meant to hurt. Usually, 9 out of 10 people understand when I am having fun, and most just chuckle.

Tor- Just having fun, and not directed at anyone, of any sex. I have NEVER violated ANY U.N. agreements... yet. And they never even invited me to join! ( That was another joke :)

If you don't have fun, what do you have? ( Paul- this is another quote that has been copyrighted, patented, and trademarked. You can't use this one either :)

Felix Jones March 24th, 2003 03:34 PM

Imagine a world without humour.

Nuff Said.