Hidden Camera For Short Scene ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 18th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hidden Camera For Short Scene ?

Hi

This is my first post on here. I've searched this site, and others, and I haven't really found any answers yet, so here goes.

I'm currently making a film, with the help of a few friends. There's a short scene we need to film on a train. I have permission from the train company for this, and it is a relatively simple one. There will be one two actors on the train. Just as the train pulls into a station, one actor stands up to leave the train. As she does this, the other actor recognises her as an old friend, and follows her off the train.

I'm thinking of how to best do this shot. It will be just a normal train, and it's likely to have other passengers on it. From previous experience of filming in public, I know that at times, people tend to notice and stare at the camera, which can spoil the shot.

I've mentioned this concern to a few people and a couple of them suggested disguising the camera so that no-one notices it. But when I asked how I could do this, the ideas ran out. I guess I could try it this way, so I'm hoping that someone here can make suggestions on how I could actually do it. The camera I'd use would be a JVC mini dv (GR-DX57). Old and dated looking I know, but it does the job. Here are some pictures of it just so you can see what size it is (photographed next to a bunch of keys and a watch for perspective)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture003.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Picture002.jpg

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received on this one.

:)
John Westbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #2
Major Player

I am not sure what to disguise it as but with 700x zoom does the camera even need to leave your house ?

;)
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi John, and welcome to the site!

If you tell people what you're doing and set up the scenario for them, won't they play along and ignore the camera? I've set up shots and asked people to act as extras; even little kids usually comply. You'd have to place one of your friends at the scheduled stop to clue in people there, plus, a medium close up could exclude gawkers in the distance.

I watched a video by one of our members where he hid a camera that size in his jacket. It was funny, but hardly what you'd be looking for in a film. I wouldn't think you could disguise/hide it yet still frame and stablize.

Hope it goes well! :)
Old November 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
I am not sure what to disguise it as but with 700x zoom does the camera even need to leave your house ?

;)
If only it was that easy. But could I hold it steady enough ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Hi John, and welcome to the site!

I watched a video by one of our members where he hid a camera that size in his jacket. It was funny, but hardly what you'd be looking for in a film. I wouldn't think you could disguise/hide it yet still frame and stablize.

Hope it goes well! :)
Thanks.
I like your idea about asking people to play along. I hadn't thought of that.
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

you can use any camera, even big sized if you take care to put it into a carton box you could put on your shoulder.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Did it !

Many thanks for all your replies.

It worked out well in the end. The trains were nearly empty (Sunday afternoon) so we had one end of a carriage to ourselves, and didn't need to try and hide the camera. Nobody who did see it took any notice anyway, which is a bonus. Someone else I know tried to film someone walking along a road and getting into a taxi. It was the middle of summer, so there were people everywhere. But there was one bloke who stared right at the camera when he went past. At least that didn't happen today.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media