Various TOTEM posts 2007 - 2008 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #61
Regular Crew

ProPresenter 3 for Mac

Anybody out there using ProPresenter 3.
Just got back from the National Youth Worker's Convention in Atlanta
and was greatly impressed by their use of ProPresenter.
Just curious if anybody out there is using it at church, school, etc.
Thanks
Jason
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #62
Major Player

Adding motion to a DSLR

Ok, my nephew had his fun without my consent- How do I erase this?

Last edited by Jaadgy Akanni; December 5th, 2007 at 12:56 PM.
Jaadgy Akanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #63
New Boot

Plugin and tool sale

User has not uploaded an avatar

Hi Kids -

Digital Juice is running some amazing deals (50% off) for Red Giant's Trapcode, Boris Graffiti, Sorenson Squeeze and ZaxWorks Pro-Animator.

Link is: http://www.digitaljuice.com/enewslet...duct_deals.asp

Enjoy & Happy Chrismahanayulikah!
Bruce Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #64
Inner Circle

BC ZoomFest 48 hour film contest videos

I found these videos that were entered into the ZoomFest 48 hour student film contest. This years theme was "Imagination is greater than Knowledge", the prop was a umbrella.

The Dreamer (won best film)

The Great Umbrella of Yakama (not Yakima, WA; won best technical film)

And the best part, these are all students from my School, Burnaby South.

Any critical opinions from people like DSE?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #65
Wrangler

MovieBeam is going out of business

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/071211/tech.html?.v=1

Quote:
Movie rental service MovieBeam, once backed by Walt Disney, Intel and Cisco Systems, will close down Saturday, stranding people who paid $200 for its set-top box with a useless piece of hardware.
The MovieBeam box stored 100 movies that were continually refreshed through a wireless connection. Backers invested some $50 million in the venture before selling it a year ago for $10 million to Movie Gallery, the movie rental store chain, now in Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #66
Major Player

BSPlayer (Media Player)

Thought his was kinda funny...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...framescopy.jpg

"Try not to drop frames"
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #67
Wrangler

WalMart shuts down movie download service

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/071227/walma...oads.html?.v=1

Quote:
Wal-Mart shut down the download site after Hewlett Packard Co discontinued the technology that powered it, Walmart.com spokeswoman Amy Colella said in an e-mail. She added that it will not look for another technology partner.

HP spokesman Hector Marinez said the company decided to discontinue its video download-only merchant store services because the market for paid video downloads did not perform "as expected." He noted that the Internet video business remains uncertain and is changing rapidly.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Need help, looking for a website i cannot find.

hi,

I've been looking for this website for ages, (12+ hours, whats wrong with me...)

its a website that sells second hand cine equipment. 35mm, 16mm, super 16mm equipment and lenses.

its UK specific, but may have a .com or co.uk address.

i have no idea whats its called.

the menu bar on the site near the top of the screen was yellow(maybe orange) and when you hover over the different categories a drop down list appears.

any help is appreciated.

thanks.
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #69
Regular Crew

So I'm going to NAB, advice (conference-wise)?

My college TV station (I'm the ops manager, so I buy/fix/train everything tech) is covering the costs of flying me down for a couple of days so I can eval new equipment and tech, and hopefully learn a few things. I'm checking out the registration right now, and I'm being 'offered' the ability to attend some of these conferences like the broadcast engineer's conference, among other things. Any advice for me?
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #70
Major Player

HomeFilmSchool.com

Anyone seen this? Some really interesting "old school" advice and tips.

http://www.freewebs.com/hlr/
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #71
Panoramic

Training for Dig Imaging Tech

I live in eastern Tennessee, and filmwise, we're pretty much in the boondocks. I run the local filmmakers group, hold an annual 10HR Film Festival, and am active in state initiatives. One key crew role we lack here is that of DIT, Digital Imaging Tech-set up HD camera for DP, run video village, provide color corrected on-site playback, liason with Post Prod to ensure proper parameters etc. Obviously, a high degree of technical knowledge required.

Does anyone offer classes or workshops fpr someone wanting to move into this area, or is the answer, move to LA and fight for it like everyone else?
Where might I send someone to look for info?
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #72
Regular Crew

What's the name of this LA filmmakers club

There's a club in LA (and now with divisions all over the world) where you get together at the beginning of the month and determine a theme, get a crew and make a finished film in a month.

I forgot the name/website.

Anyone?
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #73
Trustee

Profile missing from Docs & Settings

The weirdest thing just happened to me. I was doing some stuff on after effects then all of the sudden my pc restarted by it self and my user profile on documents and settings was gone. I looked with DOS and I could no longer see my profile's folder on Docs & Settings. Did this ever happen to anyone? Is there a solution?
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM   #74
Major Player

Antenna Tricks for HDTV Reception

I had an interesting day and learned something, as I was tuning-up my rooftop antennas for HDTV signals. I just got a Vista Media Center computer and it is now getting strong and steady pictures from all 4 local stations that transmit HDTV. But, the two different antennas I have, did not work the way I had expected. The long-tined VHF antenna had been pointed at one of the tower locations and the shorter-tined UHF one was aimed 100 degrees off that position to the other group of towers. I speculated that the UHF antenna would work better for the HD channels, since they use the higher frequencies and shorter wavelengths in that segment of the range. Three of the HD transmitters were at the other location, so I rotated the antenna post to aim it there. I was pleased to get full signal strength from all 3, which are about 13 miles away.

What surprised me was that the good reception didn't come from the UHF antenna, but rather from the VHF one. Since the VHF antenna had its center rod just 10 degrees away from being perpendicular to the signal direction, it was not at the angle at which you would expect it to work well. The reception on the UHF antenna was weak and unstable, except for the one tower at the other location, which is just 6 miles away. This shorter distance may have overcome the incorrect angle of the antenna for that one station. There's another transmitter there, but its HD signal seems to be off the air at the present time.

I have separate lead-in wires for the antennas, of the thicker-cored RG-6 type, rather than the standard RG-59 and use an A/B switch at my desk to change them.

After contemplating this mystery for awhile, I came up with a theory about why the VHF antenna worked so much better for the UHF channels: Because its long tines were at a slant of about 25 degrees forward from being perpendicular to the center rod, they were presenting an effective frontal width to the direction of the signals, that was much shorter than their actual length. This effective width may be about the same as the shorter UHF wavelengths. Since the center rod was 10 degrees off being perpendicular to the signals, the tines on one side were about 35 degrees off being parallel to them. The tines on the other side were about 15 degrees off. These two effective widths may have encompassed the wavelength variations between the 3 channels.

Regardless of whether my theory is correct, the thing is working very well and once again, a discovery has been made by accident, rather than by informed calculation. If anyone has a different idea about why the antenna performance is happening this way, please reply.

Last edited by J. Stephen McDonald; April 1st, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM   #75
Major Player

What College?

I'm down here in Woodland Hills California, and I've been looking at CSUN, and have heard alot of good things about that film program. I have a 4.0 gpa and will be in my film program for 4 years, being the first freshman in the program, ever. SO I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions if i should go to CSUN or shoot for UCLA? I haven't really heard anything good about their film program, someone prove me wrong? =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media