Going to Norman, Oklahoma for NPPA workshop - natives? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Going to Norman, Oklahoma for NPPA workshop - natives?

Hi,

March 17 me and five colleagues are going to NPPA Newsvideo Workshop in Norman Oklahoma.

http://nppa.org/professional_develop...workshop/2007/

So I'm wondering if there's people in here from Norman - or just somebody who knows Norman. I'd really like to know if there's any interesting things I should visit doing our one week visit. I'm bringing my DVX of course.

Oh, and how long is the trip to Oklahoma City? And is it worth spending time taking the trip? ;)

Thanks!
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hello, Thomas. I can answer part of your question. Norman is a short distance away from Oklahoma City, about 20 minutes.

I don't live there so I can't offer much in the way*of things to see and do. I've only driven through on my way north to visit relatives.

One interesting fact about Norman. It is the location of our National Severe Storms Forecast Center. In other words, all weather watches for the US emanate from there. When watches become warnings (imminent danger), those are issued from local weather service outlets.

If you Google search on Norman and Oklahoma City, you'll find things to see and do while you visit.

Enjoy your trip,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Norman into OKC can be a relatively short or excruciatingly long drive, depending on the time of day. Traffic has become increasingly frustrating through that stretch of IH-35 recently, due to the tremendous growth that area has experienced in the past couple of years. I'm not sure how the east and north sides of OKC are these days, but the south and west sides during rush hour are painful. Reminds me of Austin in fact. It's still easy to get around at non-peak times though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

I would recommend hitting the campus of OU. It's quite nice there, and has a great look to it. Also, Take the 20 minute drive to OKC to visit Bricktown. It's right near I-40 and 35. They just opened up the Skirvin hotel again (after almost 20 years of reconstruction). I haven't been to it since it opened (but my friends and I went inside when it was still under construction), but I've heard nothing but good about it.

I just left OKC about 4 months ago. I lived there for 4 years.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Major Player

I can tell you from experience, NPPA Class of '96,
you will not be doing any sightseeing.
You will be engrossed and occupied from dawn to dusk.
Should you be brave enough to have signed up to shoot, you will be working 24 hours a day.
You will be storytelling for the best in the world, and if you suck you will be told as much. You will be told as much in front of all the attendees.
That type of motivation leaves little room for other interests.

It is the best thing you can do for your storytelling career.
Have a great time!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Gary is dead on, You will not have any "free time" especially if you signed up to shoot. Everyone who shoots or wants to should go. Even if you go as an observer, it's well worth your time. If you decide to shoot be prepared... it's hard but you'll be thankful you did. These guys and gals who run this are the best of the best, may the force be with you, young Skywalker...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Thomas, tell us about your NPPA Workshop experience when you catch your breath.
I would love to hear all about it.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It was great!

I learned a lot about storytelling and a lot about photographic tecniques. Of course some of it was basic stuff, but still you even learned things in those parts. Several times I was thinking "oh never thought about that!".

The workshop was part lectures in a big auditorium (is that the correct english term - it's a big room on college used for teaching several hundred students) and part shoot, critique on your raw material, edit, critique on your edit (with 20 students in each class.)

I have one point of critique though. I didn't attend as a shooter, and that ment, that I had to be an actor for one of the shooters. We were not allowed to help, so it could be a bit boring from time to time.

So I would definately recommend that anyone attend as a shooter, if you are thinking about attending next year.

Besides that it was just a great experience with great people.

EDIT:

Oh and I did do some sightseeing, though. My shooter found another actor for the two last days - so we got to see Oklahoma City and the memorial and some other stuff. Bricktown was quite dead though.
Thomas Hartz-Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Glad you had a great, educational experience.
Now go out and shoot sequences and natural transitions!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media