DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Which HD cameras are using by Hollywood right now? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/89348-hd-cameras-using-hollywood-right-now.html)

Erhan Gucel March 19th, 2007 05:47 PM

Which HD cameras are using by Hollywood right now?

Which Professional HD cameras used by Hollywood?
I know Sony F900 was used in Star Wars Episode 2 and Collateral.
What are the other main HD cams? And if you know: How much are they?

Edward Carlson March 19th, 2007 07:56 PM

While not technically an HD camera, the Panavision Genesis has been used on Flyboys, Superman Returns, Scary Movie 4, Click and Apocalypto. It is said to have 4 times the resolution of 35mm film, if blown up (if I remember the PopSci article correctly.) It doesn't have a price listed because it is for rent only.

Charles Papert March 19th, 2007 09:45 PM

Why not technically an HD camera? It records to HDCAMSR...!

The films listed as shot on the Genesis are the ones so far released--there are quite a few others, as well as a lot of episodic television. I did a short run for NBC which is airing on Thursdays: "Andy Barker P.I." with the Genesis, as well as a feature that will open sometime this year called "Balls of Fury" (trailer is viewable online).

900's and 950's are still quite a bit in use in television. Other cameras that are out there working are the Viper (Miami Vice, Collateral), the Dalsa (I guess--haven't yet seen projects shot with it) and the Arri D20 (just starting to work, mostly in episodic TV).

Heath McKnight March 19th, 2007 10:02 PM

Charles,

I understand the workflow, set up, etc., with the Dalsa is very difficult and not easy. It's large, cumbersome and tricky with capturing and editing. This is from someone I know who has checked out the camera in L.A.

heath

Marcus Marchesseault March 19th, 2007 10:10 PM

I've also heard of the Thomson Viper, the Sony F950, and the Panasonic Varicam being used in major productions.

Heath McKnight March 19th, 2007 10:44 PM

Star Wars 2=F900 with Panavision lenses, Star Wars 3=F950 with, I believe, Fujinon lenses.

heath

Charles Papert March 20th, 2007 10:32 AM

Thanks Marcus, can't believe I forgot the Varicam!

Marcus Marchesseault March 20th, 2007 01:29 PM

I typed that before I saw your post, so I would look pretty stupid if you hadn't omitted the Varicam. :)

Alan James March 20th, 2007 09:19 PM

So I'm curious about why the Genesis isn't an HD camera. Why isn't it? And how does it have 4 times more resolution then 35mm? After all it records to HDCAM SR.

Heath McKnight March 20th, 2007 09:37 PM

I thought it was 1920 x 1080 only.

heath

Mike Schrengohst March 21st, 2007 08:23 AM

Don't forget David Fincher shot 'Zodiac' with a Viper. I knew that before I saw the film and the general filmgoing public will never know the difference.
It was a great film from a drama and acting point of view as well.

Charles Papert March 21st, 2007 08:23 AM

I believe it is also, Heath. And it looks very good. Something that those who are eagerly awaiting their REDs to arrive and feel that any resolution less than 4K simply won't cut it should probably take note (probably a lot of the same folk who were thrilled beyond belief to move up to 720 or 1081i from 480i last year).

Heath McKnight March 21st, 2007 08:36 PM

My friend has a 1080p LCD HDTV, and refuses to go back to SD. And he's a deli manager at the local grocery store, Publix. For us in the biz, so to speak, it's same thing--once you go HD, it's tough to go SD!

heath