500K$/Year for 8 years at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Major Player

500K$/Year for 8 years

Now this is could be a good gig!http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=004&sc=408

Sorry only 7 years, that's still pretty good.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

I can think of several other things $500,000 a year can pay for.

heath
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow....... I did not know it was possible to make that much money a year -- unless your Trump...
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Of course you can make $500,000 a year, if you work really hard at it. As an entrepeneur friend of mine said recently, all it takes is one thing. Be it a hit movie, song, product, photo, etc.

heath
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
Now this is could be a good gig!http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=004&sc=408 Sorry only 7 years, that's still pretty good.
Wow, that's a lot of money for taking a few shots a week of a bridge being built and traveling to some off-site locations to get backup material. $100K/year would be plenty for me...maybe I'll see if I can find out how to apply!
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Sounds like a lot, but think about it...

Of course, that $500K a year will probably then have to cover all expenses, equipment, stock, post production, hiring additional crew, additional services (tape dubbing, transcriptions etc) it MAY or may not cover the expenses of traveling to those foreign countries mentioned. Do they want this edited or is this just to create stock footage?

They'll want something that's at least broadcast, even theatrical, standard (film school grad w/ own Z1U need not apply). This is after all a glorified corporate video. How much to high end corporate video directors get paid when working for the big companies?

Plus for that money they'll be wanting to hire someone with a pretty impressive resume, someone they KNOW will get the job done, some who can go shoot at the drop of a hat, so no moonlighting ("Arnold Schwarzenegger's coming to look at the new work today! What do you mean you've got another job?"). After all, it's the PROJECT that costs $3.5m, not just paying the videographer's wages.

By way of a comparison, I have a friend who earns $200,000 teaching English in the UAE.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; June 10th, 2007 at 09:18 AM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #7
Wrangler

As said in Citizen Kane, "Anyone can make a lot of money... if all you want to do is make a lot of money." :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank View Post
After all, it's the PROJECT that costs $3.5m, not just paying the videographer's wages.
Understood, but even with everything you mentioned $500K/year sounds extravagant - and remember this is taxpayer money we're talking about! If the bridge contractor was paying for this out of their pocket I wouldn't expect the offer to be more than $100-150K/year plus expenses, if that.

Last edited by Kevin Shaw; June 10th, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
Understood, but even with everything you mentioned $500K/year sounds extravagant
I don't think so. $500k/year will pay for about 100 days of shooting per year on full size HD, plus some amount of post.

I just spent about 10 minutes reading the RFP on the MTC site, and they're not looking for one guy with a DV camera. They're looking for pro-level HD, with soundman, aerials, travel to multiple international locations, not to mention a company that's fully insured and a history of doing projects like this.

The only problem with this job is the amount of preparation required to submit the proposal correctly. The people most qualified for the job are used to spending just days budgeting a project that could spend $300k in DAYS, not a whole year!
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
I don't think so. $500k/year will pay for about 100 days of shooting per year on full size HD, plus some amount of post.
$500K/year would pay for a van full of pro HD gear and several assistants to help with the shooting and editing, but I suppose if you want Steven Spielberg to do the video it's gonna cost a few bucks.

In any case, for those who are interested in submitting a proposal, here's the link:

http://www.mtc.ca.gov/jobs/video_RFP.htm
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media