Am I Expecting Too Much? (Re: LCD TV) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Am I Expecting Too Much? (Re: LCD TV)

I didn't look at any LCD TVs at Best Buy beforehand to make this a simpler situation, but I recently got a well reviewed 20" Sharp LCD TV and connected it to my satellite box. The picture, even with adjustments and whatever the channel, looks like a bad VHS tape. And a dupe at that. This can't possibly be the intended picture. Is there a different or better wire/cable antenna connection needed for LCD TV? Or maybe I shouldn't expect the same razor-sharp quality that I get from my clunky CRT TV? This is very frustrating.

Thanks for any insight...

Last edited by Barry Rivadue; June 19th, 2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Trustee

You won’t get the same picture quality that you see in a retailer unless you have a high definition box such as an HD DVD/Blu-Ray player or an HD satellite/cable box. Even if your satellite box isn’t HD, the picture shouldn’t be that bad but you may have it hooked up thru a coaxial cable, if it is than try to get an S-Video plug and an RCA plug for the audio.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks--I thought I'd need another option to consider!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if the Sharp has a HD receiver built in it hook up some rabbit ears = IMO far better HD picture then comcast ( less artifacts with indoor antenna) ...most stations broadcast both analog and digital signals .. in evening most stations broadcast HD over their digital signals/channels ...

you should notice regular DVD's look better ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Major Player

This TV will need an HD converter box, so says a label on it, in 2009. I haven't tried DVDs on it, yet. Actually, the picture improves when I have it five feet away, but that wasn't the main intention. :)
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media