DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   What's your day job? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/98728-whats-your-day-job.html)

Davo Abear November 19th, 2007 02:28 PM

I'm a 3D designer/modeler in the engineering department at my company (Inventor, Solidworks, Autocad)

Edwin Wilson November 20th, 2007 08:44 PM

Departmental training officer/rangemaster/armorer/entry team leader for a medium sized Sheriff's Office. And whatever other hats they hang on me from day to day. The nice thing is that every day brings something new and different, so it's hard to get bored; bad thing is that it sometimes leaves little time for anything else. In that free time, I pursue various hobbies that either take too much time or too much money. *grin*

Ian Farlow November 20th, 2007 09:42 PM

Assistant Division Commander for the Uniform Patrol Division at the same Sheriff's Office as Ed Wilson. He's my roommate. I outrank him, so he has to do as I say. You know, like "clean the house" or "cook me dinner"... stuff like that.

When I'm not working or telling Ed what to do, I enjoy photography and now videography.

Chris Davis November 21st, 2007 07:34 AM

My company ("Famous Davis") is mainly software development for both desktop and web. We do a small amount of video production. I have two employees - my son and my daughter-in-law.

Chris
www.famousdavispro.com

Dave Robinson November 21st, 2007 08:47 AM

Unix server administrator and network security analyst.

Yes, I'm a geek.

Greg Patch November 21st, 2007 01:56 PM

I'm a PIG (Photo Instrumentation Guy) on a missile test range in Huntsville,Alabama. I'm an editor, photographer,videographer and a dangerous self taught electrician. We use a lot of digital high speed cameras which is way cool. I basically get to watch stuff blow up everyday.

I also own and run my own wedding photography and video business that keeps me tied up pretty much every weekend..

John Hewat November 22nd, 2007 11:09 PM

I'm a high school media and drama teacher.

So every now and then I get to watch things blow up too.

Heath McKnight November 22nd, 2007 11:11 PM

My day job has changed; I am still a freelance writer, but I no longer teach film. I am now a producer of commercials, and am moving into new territories. Waiting for the strike to end in L.A., so I can perhaps make a move out there.

Heath

Kris Holodak December 3rd, 2007 11:12 AM

day jobs and aspirations

For my day job I create educational videos for the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. It's a great job because I'm pretty much a one man band producing, shooting, and editing all the video that appears on the National Arts in Education website http://www.artsedge.kennedy-center.org/ . I meet a lot of cool people and I get to see a lot of performances.

Then on the weekends I grab my gear and shoot shorts. I've done several of the DV Challenges - which has been a great way to get off the couch. And it's inspired me to try to make things that are "festival worthy" though so far no festivals have taken anything.

But I still think, even if I reach the dream point where I'm a regular on the festival circuit and people will give me enough money that I can hire a crew rather than just recruit my untrained friends, I would keep my day job and do the shorts for fun. Because I love my day job and the shorts are a lot of fun. I think if I had the pressure of paying my mortgage off of that work it would take all the fun away. It's the same reason I'll periodically get a booth to sell my photos as art prints at craft fairs, but don't want to try to make a living as a photographer even if I could.

Denny Gay December 7th, 2007 02:21 PM

day job

I am network and/or computer technician

Marco Wagner February 18th, 2008 05:32 PM

It's amazing how many computer geeks we have in here :-) Myself included...

Shaun Conner February 19th, 2008 11:09 AM

Day Job

I'm a Quality Assurance Supervisor for a Biological company. In my spare time I shoot, edit and produce DVD's and videos for the Southern Univ. Marching band www.humanjukebox.com . I'm trying to start up my own media company and get into weddings as well instructional dvd's and business commercials.

Tom Majeski February 21st, 2008 11:23 AM

Day job, night job, on call 24/7.....
I run a satellite uplink truck all over the east coast doing news & sports.

www.pssiglobal.com.

I'm the no-name ugly stepson of the broadcast crew, but the first one they call when the picture screws up.

Tom

Joe Sonnenburg February 22nd, 2008 09:08 PM

Freelancer (in other words, unemployed)

I'm doing some freelance graphic design (mainly web design) and some freelance News Cameraman work for a small TV station. I'm currently not getting much work for either so I'm looking for something a little more stable/permanent in the Television Production industry.

Gary Chavez March 6th, 2008 03:18 PM

Hey Tom, is the Dem race huge money in the bank?