DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   What's your day job? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/98728-whats-your-day-job.html)

Marco Wagner July 11th, 2007 06:30 PM

What's your day job?

I realize some of us here in the boards are full time production, others striving to get there, like me. What do you do for work when not doing production?

Me = 2nd level Network Analyst for a LARGE military financial company.
Also = Web developer (mainly small sites)
Also = Vocalist (funk, rock, hip-hop)

Heath McKnight July 12th, 2007 07:19 AM

I write for various magazines and sites, including Videomaker, VASST, DMN and more. I also teach part-time at the Palm Beach Film School. About once or twice a week, I do either indie film or video production (video pays the best, go figure), but of course, I'd love to see that increase, esp. the film production.

heath

Brian Standing July 12th, 2007 07:46 AM

Land use planner for Dane County, Wisconsin.

Doesn't leave me much time for editing!

Gregg Bond July 12th, 2007 07:52 AM

Freelance IT consultant, its how I got into this game in the first place.

Dana Reynolds July 12th, 2007 08:32 AM

B and H Photo

Pro Video Sales

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 710857)
I write for various magazines and sites, including Videomaker, VASST, DMN and more. I also teach part-time at the Palm Beach Film School. About once or twice a week, I do either indie film or video production (video pays the best, go figure), but of course, I'd love to see that increase, esp. the film production.

heath

I always wondered how one could get a gig as a writer for mags. Very nice, and very busy you are.

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Standing (Post 710871)
Land use planner for Dane County, Wisconsin.

Doesn't leave me much time for editing!

It probably gives you access to some pretty nice locations though, no?

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregg Bond (Post 710876)
Freelance IT consultant, its how I got into this game in the first place.

It seems easier to get into other techie fields when you have computers and networking down. At least for me, picking up software like Premiere 4 years ago and not being overwhelmed is what made me keep going.

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Reynolds (Post 710902)
B and H Photo

Pro Video Sales

Dana,

Got to love you folks over at B&H!!! I have zero complaints about everything I've purchased over there. It's also nice to see someone who works there be pop in, this is definitely the spot.

Simon Jones July 12th, 2007 10:09 AM

I work at a bagel place :( Unfortunatly I cant get alot of money for video stuff out of the bagel industry.

(I'm only 17) haha

Noa Put July 12th, 2007 10:43 AM

Believe it or not, I'm 42 and retired (Not sure if that is the correct word) but you could also say on pension. When I was 17 I worked in a colemine 700 meters below the ground and one of the priviliges was that you could stop working after 25 years because of the unhealthy working conditions. When I was 25 all the mines closed due to the though competition of cheap imported african cole but I kept the pension priveliges. After that I worked as a carpenter and the last 15 years at IKEA. A year before I retired I decided to do something which I enjoyed doing and slowly started up my business, my father has been filming wedding for more then 20 years so I got the virus from him. When my pension started I did the filming part fulltime and be my own boss, I'm enjoying every bit of it.

Tim Brown July 12th, 2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Reynolds (Post 710902)
B and H Photo

Pro Video Sales

They finally found someone to fill that position huh? I saw them advertising for that position for ages. Good luck to you.

I also concur with Marco's comments. Always a pleasurable experience working with you guys.

Tim

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 710983)
Unfortunatly I cant get alot of money for video stuff out of the bagel industry.

(I'm only 17) haha

Yes, but all the bagels you can eat right? LOL

Marco Wagner July 12th, 2007 11:25 AM

Noa,

Wow what sort of gear did/does your father use?

Pete Bauer July 12th, 2007 11:32 AM

Not that there's anything wrong with discussing our vocations in a thread, but remember too that there is a place in your profile to list your occupation.

Unlike your location (City and ST or Province in North America, City and Country outside North America), which is a requirement of DVinfo membership, listing your occupation and gear is optional but often helpful. Definitely encouraged!