DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Favorite Heist Movies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/9992-favorite-heist-movies.html)

Brian M. Dickman May 23rd, 2003 08:33 AM

Favorite Heist/Caper Movies

I'm hoping The Italian Job will be as good as it looks like it will...

My top fav though would have to be Sneakers.

Dylan Couper May 23rd, 2003 12:07 PM

Sneakers!!!

Richard Alvarez May 23rd, 2003 12:15 PM

"Rififi"

It's the heist movie by which all others are measured. Pretty riske' for it's time. The actual heist takes place in complete silence... very powerful.

By the way, the genre is generally referred to as a "Caper" flick. It almost always includes the element "One last job... then I/We retire."

Keith Loh May 23rd, 2003 01:35 PM

HEAT
SEXY BEAST
THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY

Nigel Moore May 23rd, 2003 01:42 PM

Entrapment
The League of Gentlemen
Reservoir Dogs

I heard that there was a remake of The Italian Job in the works, but as with so many remakes, why bother? Sabrina was a perfect example of a remake that pailed in comparison with the original, so that it was a waste of celluloid and talent. But I guess they made money, so that's all that counts!

[edit]: I haven't seen the orginal version of the Bourne Identity, but it would have to be spectacular to beat the 2002 remake!

Keith Loh May 23rd, 2003 02:08 PM

BOURNE IDENTITY was filmed as a TV mini in the 80s I think with Richard Chamberlain as Jason Bourne and Jacklyn Smith as the French Canadian diplomat who helps him. It was all right but it obviously didn't have the flash and budget of the Matt Damon vehicle which I enjoyed a lot. Franke Potente is hot stuff too, not that I would put down Jacklyn Smith at that time.

Joseph George May 23rd, 2003 08:03 PM

Entrapment
Pink Panther movies

Matt Betea May 23rd, 2003 08:37 PM

I'll second Sneakers and I say Dog Day Afternoon

Mark Moore May 23rd, 2003 08:52 PM

SNEAKERS

and the dopey, but funny

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

Rob Lohman May 26th, 2003 05:10 AM

I really liked HEAT and RESERVOIR DOGS indeed. I have them both
on DVD. Traffic is perhaps not a true heist movie but I really loved
some of the work on that.

And if you don't know them do check out "Lock, Stock & Two
Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch". I liked them very much and
also own them both (made in England).

Ocean's Eleven and The Thomas Crown Affair (new one) were
also nice...

Will Fastie May 26th, 2003 11:09 AM

The Score (DeNiro, Norton)
The Thomas Crown Affair (McQueen, Dunaway)
Thief (James Caan + great cast incl. Willie Nelson, Robert Prosky, Dennis Farina, Tuesday Weld (exc!), James Belushi; under-rated)
Ocean's 11 (Clooney)

Matt Stahley May 26th, 2003 09:24 PM

Charley Varrick featuring Walter Matthau,Joe Don Baker and Norman Fell.With a nice Lalo Schifrin sndtrk!