DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Quick release plates...R They Universal? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/10077-quick-release-plates-r-they-universal.html)

Bryant Sentosa May 25th, 2003 03:52 PM

Quick release plates...R They Universal?

Hi,

I have a quick question. Are quick release plates universal?

Here's why I ask.

Everyone is suggesting to buy the Librec M20. Unfortunatly, I can't find them anywhere locally here in Los Angeles, CA. So I will have to order it online.

I can however buy a Bogen monopod down the street.

I want to have a quick release that I will be able to use both items. Will they work?

If not, can someone recommend a Bogen tripod equal or the same quality, and price as the Libec M20?

Thanks.

Jeff Donald May 25th, 2003 04:08 PM

Sorry, nothing universal about a quick release adapter/plate. I do know of people the buy a QR adapter for each set-up. In essence a quick release for their quick release. This enables them to switch equipment easily from one support system to another. They may have still and video equipment or several video cameras.

The only downside to using two adapters at the same time (one mounted to the other) is the joint becomes a weak point. A times the equipment may rotate because of the extra components not being screwed tight enough.

There is no Bogen in the price range of the Libec, hence it's popularity.

Charles Papert May 25th, 2003 04:55 PM

The closest to a "universal" quick release is the Sachtler plate aka "touch and go" which O'Connor also accomodates (grudgingly, and they call it a "Euro plate" to reference its German heritage. You'll only see this on the higher end heads though.

Wayne Orr May 25th, 2003 04:57 PM

Here's a question for you, Bryant. If the Libec M20 is so good, how come no one carries it in Los Angeles? I honestly don't know the unit, and have no experience with it, but the modest price under $200 is either appealing, or a warning. Just be certain when you purchase on line, you have a return policy in place with the retailer, in case it doesn't work out.

If you moved up to the combination Bogen 3433 (501)pan head with the 3182 tripod this would set you back $379 at B&H. You could then purchase the Bogen 577QR Adapter Assembly for $50 which comes with a camera plate and a mounting plate. You would attach the mounting plate to any monopod, and then save the camera plate as a spare. Now, with the camera plate from the 3433 pan head attached to your camera, you can quickly mount your camera to either the pan head or the monopod. Is that perfectly clear?

Another way to look at it: the 577QR Adapter Assmby and the 3433 pan head share the same camera mounting design.

Just another option. You should be able to find all these parts in Los Angeles. You might even want to rent the pan head/tripod for a weekend test.

Jeff Donald May 25th, 2003 05:13 PM

The Libec has been discussed here on several occasions and has many users who claim satisfaction. You may want to search the Libec using the button in the upper right. What camera will you be using on the tripod? I certainly wouldn't recommend it for something as heavy and an XL1.

Bryant Sentosa May 26th, 2003 12:45 AM

Thanks everyone for the information.

Wayne,
The reason I wanted the Libec M20 is because that seems to be the tripod everyone is suggesting that's on a budget.

Jeff,
I'll be using a GL2 on the tripod.