grip action ball head, mini-ball, bowl - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I see it.............

It is, apparently, a Gitzo 1380 re - badged. Should come with 4/6 different counterbalance springs too, so the blurb says (depends where you look as to how many there seem to be).

No, the ball doesn't come off it, so it's back to a 75mm half bowl tripod if you wish to use it.

CS

PS. Even further trawling still cannot find any evidence of the ball being removeable from the head.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; December 15th, 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Error/ Addition
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #17
Inner Circle

first I agress the legs in question aren't really made for any videocamera except perhaps my wifes little palmcorder. Pan and tilt with any head on those legs would be a nightmare and as for putting that head on the legs the bowl itself should be a seperate piece from the head. I've used the 505 and as I remember the head and bowl were seperate pieces. Under the flat top of the bowl are or should be 3 set screws. Loosen them up and unscrew the heqad from the bowl stud. The head can then be mounted on legs that don't use a bowl. However that said, that head is way too much head for those legs.
If for example you are using a small form factor camera,
IE, PD170,GL2,DVX100, HVX, or any of those size cameras the head might even be too much. If however you are using a full size camera the head would be fine but those legs would frankly suck the big one for supporting any camera over a few pounds. When I used a full sized camera I used a 516 head on the 515 legs and supported everything up to a studio setup DXC30. HOWEVER when I shoot my PD170s I use a 501HDV head because I had it and the 516 was way to much head for the camera. The camera is so light for that head that I couldn't use the head as it should have been used since it's made for a much heavier rig.
Having the right head and legs for the gear you're using is as important as any other piece of gear. Light camera rig means a lighter set of legs and a smaller head but those legs and that head really would be very very far down on my list of choices.
Can you use it? Sure. Should you? Probably not.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #18
Wrangler

Any knowledgeable retailer can guide you through this.

Any retailer I've seen Bogen video heads at for sale often has the correct bowl-style legs for sale in a package as well.

B&H has this stuff all wrapped up in packages to make it easy...each given head with 1 or 2 legs choices.
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses... I bought this head "CHEAP" so that is wy I got it as to have an extra head lying around. I use the Canon XH-A1 and will be getting a XL-H1 next. I have a tree arm with a 503 attached and need a good tripod setup (using the 505) for the ground when coyote hunting or goose or duck hunting. So if I get the set of legs you recommend will that work well with the Canon XH-A1?
Thanks,
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff............

Maybe a better way to tackle this would be to start with what, exactly, you are prepared to throw at this financially.

$200?
$500?
$1000?
$2000?
$3000?

I could keep going but get the impression you don't want to spend that much.

As a starter, IMPO, you won't get anything REALLY suitable for HD under $2000.

Pass that threshhold and it then comes down to how picky you are (I fall into the "anal" category when it comes to support systems - fortunate for my video, very unfortunate for my wallet).

Again, IMPO, under $2000 will be "OK" but that's it, it won't be great for HD.

Any system is only as good as it's weakest link, and at under 2 grand the support system is going to be that weak link for HD.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; December 15th, 2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Revision
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads