Canon XH A1 And future Redrock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon XH A1 And future Redrock

I need a tripod that will support my A1 and sooner or later a Redrock Micro. Id preffer Manfrotto. Ill be using it basically for pans and Scenic Shots for B roll stuff for a news station. Any help will be appreciated =D
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

More info required Loren...........

What's a "Redrock Micro"?

You'll have to excuse us poor ignoramuses, but there's just so much stuff out there we (well, me anyway) can't keep on top of it all.

[Yep, I could Google it, but hey, I'd just rather be able to answer the Q without doing 3 hours of screen time).

What does it weigh? How big is it? What does it do?

What head are you going to use?

Is your A1 "pimped to the Nines" or stock?

See what I mean?

CS
Chris Soucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Well the redrock micro is a 35mm adapotor. it will extened the lense, and ill have rods and such on it. http://www.redrockmicro.com/. Now i need the whole kit, not just legs or head. And i have a stock A1.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Loren

A full Redrock kit will add about 4lbs to your A1. Factor the weight of 35mm lenses, possibly a microFF/microMatteBox (okay, a ff and matte box ;) ) and you'll probably consider a package capable of supporting around 15-18lbs. I personally use Bogen 516 heads (rated for up to 25lbs) and they are great

Hope that helps

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Loren..

If you're determined to stay with Manfrotto, then the only head I can really suggest (recommend is putting it too strongly) is the 519. With that you will, at least, have a sporting chance of getting the counterbalance system in tune with your various camera configurations.

As for it's functionality other than the counterbalance system, I can't help you.

For sticks, well, I guess if you went with one of the B&H packages that feature the 519 and sticks you couldn't go too far wrong.

If I can persuade you from going the Manfrotto route (and I'm going to try) I would seriously suggest you look instead at the Vinten V3 head and any of their matching sticks, there are all sorts of "packages" for them as well.

The V3 isn't that much more than a 519 tho' the sticks will be, but you do get what you pay for and it would be an infinately more "pro" support system.

Check 'em out and see what you think. Do NOT go for the V3 and a Manfrotto set of sticks - that is not adviseable.

CS
Chris Soucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Loren have a look at the Cartoni Focus takes upto 22 pound s in weight
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Decision

I actucally decided im going to invest more in my light system, and i saw a cheap libtec LS-22
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_System.html
Is this good? Keep in mind im 14. so nothing that is going on tv. But i would like a fluid head.
I like this one too though cuss its got two handles:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eo_Tripod.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads