Ronford Baker 2000 Series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ronford Baker 2000 Series

Just purchased the Ronford Baker 2000 Series Tripod 2004-176 Head.
I was aiming at sachtler head but end up getting Ronford.
It'll be shipped in a week so I have not tried it yet...

Does anybody have any experience with this model?
The tripod will hold a Red cam.
Thanks

Albert
www.yayofilms.com
Albert Rudnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've got an old F4, which is basically an unbalanced version which I actually use with HDV cameras. They're great heads, the balancing should sort the problem that you have on the F4 with cameras that have heavy masses at either end like Digibeta cameras. Although I know someone who uses an F4 to shoot commercials with Digibeta and Varicam.

Ronfords are over engineered, so that they'll last a lifetime with average care.

Although, a RED with 35mm cine lens like a Cooke 18-100 zoom could be a bit much for it. It's more a 16mm and 2/3" camera head than a full 35mm job.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian
Each head has "it's way" of working with; is the Ronford head comparable to any other brand or it really stands on it's own.
I have only used Sachtler 18,20

Thanks again
Albert
Albert Rudnicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Rudnicki View Post
Thanks Brian
Each head has "it's way" of working with; is the Ronford head comparable to any other brand or it really stands on it's own.
I have only used Sachtler 18,20

Thanks again
Albert
They're different to the Sachtler. It's more a finger tip head, whereas the Ronfords tend to be more a full "fluid effect", so you really do need good tripod legs without any twisting movement. I tend to use them with the pan handle fully extended for this reason.

I've been using the F4 on my Sachtler Horizon's carbon fibre legs, this works pretty well and is lighter than my Ronford metal legs.

I've recently used the Ronford F7 on a few productions, it's a very precise head when correctly balanced, although on the heavy side for documentaries. Having said that, people do use them on those type of productions.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you Brian
It comes with solid legs, so I should be fine.
Cheers
Albert
Albert Rudnicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads