DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   adjusting the level on Bogen tripod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/10404-adjusting-level-bogen-tripod.html)

Kevin Burnfield June 2nd, 2003 03:37 PM

adjusting the level on Bogen tripod

I've got a manfrotto/Bogen 4036 tripod with a Bogen 3063 Fluid Head on it.

Something I've noticed recently and can't seem to correct is that when I adjust the legs to the level on the trip is centered, the level on the head is off and I can't adjust it.

I admit I bought this set-up used and don't have the manual and have never had this specific problem so I'm not sure how to adjust the head.

I've taken the head off by unscrewing the screws under it and reattaching it carefully but it doesn't do any good.

This is probably a rather simple problem for most of you so thanks in advance.

Matt Gettemeier June 2nd, 2003 10:40 PM

The only level you need to worry about is the one on the head... If you had a tripod/head setup that used a leveling device such as a half-ball or Bogen's add-on leveler ( a total bargain for around $60-$70 ) then the spirit level on the legs is handy for getting the pod somewhat close to level prior to implementing the head leveler... most head/ball/accessory levelers are good for 10 degrees compensation and some even go to 15 degrees... that's more then adequate if you take a quick glance at the legs and make sure you're in the ballpark...

In your case if you simply have a set of legs with a spirit level and a head with a spirit level but no actual leveling system then ALL you need to concern yourself with is the spirit level on the head.

I've got a fairly high-end pod/head (over $1K) and the spirit level on the legs is RARELY level at the same point as the head... even on a cement floor...

So to summarize, don't worry about it... if the head is level that's all that matters. Try out a leveler system or just buy the Bogen one and transform the operation of leveling your shots from a total pain in the arse to an absolutely effortless JOY!... all for the paltry sum of $64.95 for the Bogen 3502 (B&H part no. BO3502 and call them at 800-606-6969)

Let me add one extra "plug" for Bogen here... the REALLY cool thing about that little leveler I mentioned is that it tensions with a flip lever on the side rather then the usual "rod sticking down from the half ball thing" that the rest of us are using... this makes leveling EVEN FASTER and in the case of pods which can go REALLY low there isn't the usual limitation of the leveler height... (Can you tell I applaud Bogen for this design?)

Nathan Gifford June 3rd, 2003 11:00 AM

I have a ball-leveler on my Bogen 503 and it makes leveling a breeze.

Matt Gettemeier June 3rd, 2003 08:55 PM

Yeah, I have one of those two... I tried to look up a Bogen 4036 pod and I couldn't find one so based on the head I suspect that those legs don't have a bowl... that means he has to go with the Bogen leveler/adapter thing I mentioned... If he has a bowl and is asking about leveling the head then God help him...

That 503 with ball-leveler is a nice setup Nathan... once Kevin plays with one of those he'll want to trade up!

Keith Loh June 3rd, 2003 09:44 PM

I thanked the gods when I discovered the wonders of the ball leveller.