DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sachtler 14 II system (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/104391-sachtler-14-ii-system.html)

Laszlo Horvath September 25th, 2007 11:22 PM

Sachtler 14 II system

I have an opportunity to purchase this tripod with Sachtler single stage tripod and ground spreader with one pan arm and quick release plate for $1100 shipped with insurance in excellent working and visual condition.
I will use it with my JVC HD-110 with a big PAG on camera light, IDX battery and focus puller and the JVC tripod plate adapter.
Anybody have this head-tripod?
1, It's a good system and good price for this camera setup?
2, If I want use this in the future with smaller camcorder like a upcoming Sony EX or the Canon A1 it will be OK?

Please let me kow. I need make my decision ASAP.

Simon Sommerfeld September 25th, 2007 11:51 PM

Sachtler Video 14 II

That's a good solid head and sticks and they will easily take the weight of your camera and attachments. The head is rated for 33 lbs. One thing to consider though is the counterbalance adjustment. The Video 14 II is an old head and as such it has a fairly primitive counterbalance system and the adjustment range is set for payloads over 15 lbs. You may find this to be less than optimal for your camera. i.e. your camera may be too light for the head.

As a starting point to choosing a suitable head it's a good idea to rig your camera with all the additional gear and weigh it. There's nothing worse than having a head that you have to fight because it's mismatched to your camera payload.

Chris Soucy September 26th, 2007 12:15 AM

Hi Laszlo..........

Not knowing anything about the head (well past it's use by date with Sachtlers web site) I was hesitant to post an answer, but I agree with Simon, I think for the lighter HDV cameras it will turn out to be more of a curse than a blessing.

There really is nothing worse than fighting a head because of poor/ non existant counterbalance, and few (er, one) head that I know of can "out of the box" be dialled up for a sub 3 kilo camera (like the A1) in whatever configuration.

I suggest you go back to the drawing board, do the weighing thing (only an indicator and not a sure thing) and take it from there.

A "bargain" ain't a bargain if it doesn't do what you want. Nice kit, yes, bargain, well, maybe, maybe not.

CS

Simon Sommerfeld September 26th, 2007 12:24 AM

Kiwi

Hey Chris.
I'm an ex-pat from Godzone. How's the weather down in the deep south?

Best,
Simon.

Chris Soucy September 26th, 2007 01:19 AM

Hi Simon........

Bloody aweful, if I can be blunt! Just been outside for a ciggie break and it's 5 degrees C and the wind goes right through you like a knife.

Gnashing my dentures, as I packed "the Missus" off to Wanaka a few days ago for some well earned "R&R", and she's been having 20 degrees, blues and sunshine throughout.

August and the beginning of September was shaping up real nice, but have an aweful feeling we'll dissapear into some grey cloying murk for the rest of October/ November like last year, which really was the pits.

So how come you've strayed so far from the "Centre of the known Universe" then? Must be lucarative, whatever the reason.

Keep in touch,

Regards,

Chris

PS: You know what's really bizarre about this? I originate (going a loooooong way back) from the same province as Laszlo is posting from!

Simon Sommerfeld September 26th, 2007 01:40 AM

Hey Chris,

One word Mate: SunnyCalifornia!

Actually it did rain here last weekend for the first time in 4 months, which was a bit disappointing as we chose that weekend for a RED test shoot.

There's no money up here Mate (unless you count negative cash-flow), just my lovely American wife and Flight of the Conchords on the tele. That's more than enough!

Come up and visit some time.

Best,

Simon.

Chris Soucy September 26th, 2007 03:27 AM

You're on.......

Just have to find a suitable excuse, and we'll see what we can do.

Don't know that I like the sound of "negative cash flow", sounds positively painfull.

Actually, have been planning a 50th anniversary trip back to Canada for next year (Gee, have I been away that long?) and may well be able to wangle something in with that.

Hey, you did ask!

CS

Laszlo Horvath October 11th, 2007 02:02 PM

I just received

Well, I just received this "beauty". It's sooooo small.
Anyway I think this one is broke. My JVC HD100 with one small IDX battery on it is around 10 lbs. and this head can't hold of it. This system is rated 15-33 lbs. The "0" + three drug adjusting are working fine, but still the camera fell to the front or back when I tilting. Do not stay in position. The counterbalancing system on the right side of the head have four position. This button don't do anything. Just turning around, I don't feel it's change anything. I never used Sachatler heads yet, but I have a hard feeling this counterbalance is broke.
Anybody have any experiance with this head?
I bought on ebay, the guy sold as "Everything works exactly as it should in EX Condition"
I hope he do something. I paid $1125 with shipping, which is was a good price. But not for a junk.

Laszlo

Chris Soucy October 12th, 2007 03:18 AM

Glutton for punishment.......

Can't say you weren't warned.

"Caveat Emptor" as the Romans would say, (if the Romans ever said it.)

Bad luck.

CS

Dan Keaton October 12th, 2007 04:10 AM

May I suggest that you call Sachtler, in New York and discuss it with them.

Try adding some weight to your setup, even if it is just ballast. This can actually help you achieve smoother motions.

Laszlo Horvath October 12th, 2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 757859)
May I suggest that you call Sachtler, in New York and discuss it with them.

Try adding some weight to your setup, even if it is just ballast. This can actually help you achieve smoother motions.

Thanks, but you misunderstand me. The counterbalance is broke. The camera even with zero stuff add it, feel down when I try to tilt to front or back.
But thanks your advise. I first wait for answer from the seller. Still nothing from him.

Thanks anyway: Laszlo

Brian Drysdale October 12th, 2007 08:30 AM

If you don't have any luck with the seller. Check with Sachtler (or one of their agents) about getting it repaired, it mightn't be that costly a job to fix.

Laszlo Horvath October 26th, 2007 12:31 PM

Update

Well, everything is OK now. I contacted the seller and he cooperate with me very well. He recommended to send to Sachtler USA to New York. I did, and the technician changed the counter balance springs (seller paid) and also fixed or checked everything else on my cost. Changed a few red buttons on the head, add a safety lock and overall I received back a "brand new" head.
So everything is OK now, but the head is too strong for my JVC HD110, so I need to sell. I will post on the Classified section.

Thanks everybody's help

Laszlo