DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Miller's Arrow 30 still made?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/106424-millers-arrow-30-still-made.html)

Matt Irwin October 24th, 2007 07:04 PM

Miller's Arrow 30 still made??

Hi,

I'm interested in trying and possibly buying an Arrow 30. It's proven hard to find one at any of the "go-to" places here in LA, so... does Miller still make it? Anyone know?

I'm trying an Arrow 25 and other brands, but the 30 has a perfect payload range for my needs....

Thanks,

Mark Viducich October 24th, 2007 08:00 PM

miller arrow 30

it is no longer made as i just purchased the arrow 25 which will counter balance up to 31 lbs i am now using a setup with close to 18lbs and it is fantastic with the arrow 25 much better than the sachtler, vinten, oconnor and cartoni i have owned in the past

Matt Irwin October 24th, 2007 11:49 PM

Hi Mark,

Have you ever tried a lighter (5lb+/-) camera on your Arrow 25?

I own an HVX200, with a total package weight of about 8lbs-- the bottom of the 25's range. I also work with larger cameras, as well as much lighter cameras than my hvx, so I need a good payload range...

Laszlo Horvath October 24th, 2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Irwin (Post 764377)
Hi Mark,

Have you ever tried a lighter (5lb+/-) camera on your Arrow 25?

I own an HVX200, with a total package weight of about 8lbs-- the bottom of the 25's range. I also work with larger cameras, as well as much lighter cameras than my hvx, so I'm looking for a good payload range...

Sachtler DV6SB, Vinten3, Gitzo 1380, Cartoni Focus.
All of these are from 2lbs to 22 lbs.

Laszlo

Matt Irwin October 24th, 2007 11:59 PM

Thank you Laszlo,

I'm looking for a range of about 5-30 lbs. I have tried the Sachtler 8/100 and 12-- both are great heads, as is the Cartoni Laser. The Arrow 30 has exactly the range I was looking for with a good track record... I'll see what I can find...

Chris Soucy October 25th, 2007 12:04 AM

Hi Matt........

Why don't you fire an e - mail to Miller, they're great guys to deal with and may be able to point you to a re - con unit somewhere.

Worth a try.

CS

Laszlo Horvath October 25th, 2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Irwin (Post 764382)
Thank you Laszlo,

I'm looking for a range of about 5-30 lbs. I have tried the Sachtler 8/100 and 12-- both are great heads, as is the Cartoni Laser. The Arrow 30 has exactly the range I was looking for with a good track record... I'll see what I can find...

Well.... I tried. If you looking for a higher end systems the Sachtler DV15SB are great. Capacity: 2-35lbs. And very pricey.

Laszlo

Mark Viducich October 25th, 2007 01:07 AM

miller arrow 30

as i only have the hvx200 i have not tried a 5 lb camera on the miller arrow 25 but my guess is that it won't counter balance the lighter camera properly without the addition of a little more weight but it will be close one thing you can do is add weight to the inside of the pan arm which will act as a nice counter balance to a lighter camera

Matt Irwin October 26th, 2007 03:35 PM

Thank you all for the help.
After some playing, I ended up plopping a few grand on a Cartoni Laser and a set Miller Solo sticks. Great head, incredible tripod!

Mark Viducich October 26th, 2007 05:01 PM

do you already have the head as i would be interested in how you like the counter balance system and how the head reacts with 15-18 lbs of weight

Matt Irwin October 26th, 2007 07:12 PM

I spent quite a while at Abel with a demo Laser (and other heads), loaded with my HVX setup as well as an F-350 they had on the floor.
I really appreciate Cartoni's counterbalance "logic"-- Like the drag adjustments, the CB is continuous and smooth allowing for much finer tuning and biasing than with an Arrow or Sachtler. Very smooth and simple for my (+/-) 8lb HVX setup as well as the F-350 (15 lb??).

I tried an Arrow as well-- fantastic feel, and VERY solid. I wasn't a fan of the click steps on drag and C/B. The Cartoni was natural to me.
The Laser feels very wet, which I personally love, and much like the heavier Sigma-- a head that has lured a couple operators I know away from OConnor's 2575.

I'm picking up my Laser in a week, right before I leave for a week-long shoot. I'll try to follow up with a field report on the head and sticks for those interested when I return.

I'm curious to see how it handles a 16mm camera like an XTR or SRIII....