Gitzo GE13P Tripod Bag, G1348 legs, and air travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Gitzo GE13P Tripod Bag, G1348 legs, and air travel

I have the Gitzo GE13P Foam Padded Tripod Bag. I have the Gitzo G1348 MK2 tripod legs with the G2380 head. The bag is too big to meet carryon regs. Would anyone recommend checking the tripod bag (with the tripod, of course)? Or would I be asking for trouble (something getting broke or "lost")?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Major Player

1 option is to fed ex it to your location, then you can at least insure it.
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Trustee

If you don't want to Fedex it, but instead you want to carry it with you, I suggest that you put it in a suitcase rather than checking the tripod bag.

I recently went to Europe with a lot of camera, sound and lighting equipment.

I used an old Samsonite carryon for the cameras (XHA1 and DSLR), lenses, flash and some specifici things I couldn't do without in any situation (tapes, charger, etc.)

I then used one of the new hardside very lightweight suitcases for everthing else. (They have four wheels on the bottom.) Your 24" gitzo tripod would fit fine in the large size.

Everything I took looked like regular luggage, and very unostentatious. The carry-on is 25 years old. I used foam core in the sides to pad it, then later used the foam core for reflectors.)

I am very wary of carrying anything that looks like professional video or photo equipment, even if it is never out of my sight. Of course, if several people are going with a large production, the equipment is part of the deal and there are people to watch all the time.

But traveling alone, I think showing what you have is a mistake. For one thing, the tripod bag is real easy to slip behind a conveyer down in the baggage area. Also, the tripod bag gives away that you're carrying other stuff when in the terminal.

If you want the tripod bag when you get there, pack it in the suitcase, too.

Before I left I asked a Lowel rep which of their cases would be best for checking for my trip. He told me that his experience the last couple of years was that any of their cases ended up destroyed and/or destroying the contents the way it was handled. And he was talking about domestic U.S. travel. He strongly suggested to me that I pack the lights in a regular looking suitcase, which I did.

I also put a luggage strap around all my suitcases. It's not locked, but it takes a little effor to get off. I have never had one cut. The locks I use on the cases themselves are all TSA approved.

The straps make it more of a chore to get into the suitcase. They all identify my cases in baggage pickup so I can instantly spot them. A thief is also less likely to grab and walk off with a case that has a bright strap around it and can be easitly spotted.

My recent trip I took seven flights through London, Prague and Vilnius. Then back through Chicago. The only time my suitcases were opened was from Prague to L.A. One of the big ones was opened, and the TSA note was inside.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads