Cartoni Focus - Alternate Pan Bar? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 18th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Cartoni Focus - Alternate Pan Bar?

The pan handle on the Cartoni Focus is a bit flimsy and I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternate, such as one from a Miller or O'Connor.

Are the rosettes and screws the same size on any better handles that anyone knows of?

Thanks.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Eric..................

Can't give a direct response to your query as I am not familiar with the Cartoni equipment you mention.

I do need to ask however what you mean by "flimsy"?

Without knowing what you mean, the best I can suggest is to find out what size bolt the handle you have uses (shouldn't be too hard, simply take the handle and bolt to a local hardware store and see what nut fits the bolt - voila) then see what else is available that has the same type bolt (the rosettes seem to be universal).

Not sure how anyone is going to be able to judge "flimsy" tho' - what do you do with it apart from panning the head - beat elephants to death with the thing?

Sorry if that sounds flipant, it's just that even my Manfrotto 503 pan arm wouldn't fall into the "flimsy" category (by my reckoning), which if anything would, it would.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Eric: My hunch is the rosettes are not compatible and the threads may not be either, especially with OConnor using inch threads and the others probably metric threads. Your best bet is to look into one of the pan bars for the larger Cartoni heads like the Laser or Gamma and check with Ste-man first to see if those are compatible with the Focus (they may not be). All of the fluid head makers' pan bars are super expensive, so you wouldn't save much by trying to use another brand's pan bar.

Chris: The pan bar on the Focus was one my gripes with it. It definitely could have been more rigid, in my opinion. It's a two-piece telescoping pan bar with a fairly small diameter so it flexes a bit when the pan drag is dialed up, especially at the joint.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks.

Yes, the pan bar on the Focus is quite flexible, and its springiness makes it hard to make solid starts and stops in my experience.

I will certainly check with Ste-Man (already been there in Burbank for other isuues) but was curious if anyone had a tried and true solution.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You might try to telescope the arm to the shortest length to help support the arm more with a more rigid setting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads