Lightest leveling head for HV20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 29th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lightest leveling head for HV20?

Picked up an Hv20 for B roll--I have a Gitzo 1227 tripod for my 20d--looking at using it with the Hv20 with maybe the Acratech leveling base with a lightweight fluid head---(I have a larger tripod with leveling fluid head for my Xl2)--

Any suggestions on a better combination--on the lightest fluid head?

Thanks
Ron
Stoecky Films
Ron Stoecklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ron,

The Acratech at 0.5 lbs is the lightest leveling base out there, as far as I know. It's also pretty quick to use because it's basically a low profile ball head and you release/lock it with just one knob.

The lightest, yet decent, fluid head that I know of is the Gitzo G2180 at 1.26 lbs. An alternative at half the price but slightly more weight is the Bogen 701RC2 at 1.85 lbs. I've tested both in the camera store with my HV10 and they're about the same in performance with the Gitzo being subjectively better built.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Leveling head

Thanks Tim--

I ordered the Acratech leveling head--and a cheap cullman head to go with it--might be a mistake--but it was the lightest tripod DV head I could find at about 9 oz.--that puts my total head weight at about 1lb.--combined with a Gitzo carbon tripod--and the HV20--I think I'm about as light as I can get.

I may go to the Gizo head if the Cullman doesn't work out--but at 35.00 and the weight it was worth checking out.

Ron
Ron Stoecklein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads