Lightweight Professional Travel Tripod? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Where did you purchase the Gitzo?
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I totally agree with Dennis. I have the Miller 1511 system (DS10 head & SOLO Carbon Fiber legs). If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Gitzo system (1325 & 1380). This is absolutely the sweet spot. If you spend any less, you will wish that you hadn't.

Nick
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM   #18
Major Player

Damn... these prices. I am also looking for a tripod in the same category as Dale Lundy but I am looking for something < $500.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Floris, I can't contradict what the others have said. I haven't used the systems they are talking about, but I expect they are right if you can justify the cost. However I also had budget constraints. I finally bought the Manfrotto 755B legs and 503 head. I recently took it on a trip to Cambodia and France and was very pleased.

I had to have a system that could be set up and taken down very quickly, was lightweight and versatile, but that fit within my budget.

Things I liked: (1) the leveling ball on the 755B (and all MDEVE systems) let me set up quickly and that was critical. (2) the weight was reasonable given that the budget I had to work with. (3) I packed it in my luggage and it survived unscathed. My wife did make a quilted case for it for padding. (4) When I had to set up the most quickly I could use the extension rather than fully extend all the legs. (5) It was stable even when I used the extension.

Things I didn't like: (1) a few less pounds would have still been nice; they just weren't in the budget. (2) The leveling head hooks on with set screws, and since I had to take it off to pack it in the suitcase, I had to carry a small screwdriver with me. Set screws with thumbscrews should be standard.

You can save a bit of weight with the 701RC2 head and it is less expensive than the 503 I chose. While it has less control, I think it would have done what I needed to do and saved a pound and a half.

In short, I won't say what I chose is the best system on the market--the system recommended by the other posters is likely to be better--but for a combination of doing what I needed to do at a price within my budget it worked well.

Dale
Dale Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #20
Major Player

I already own this combination:

Manfrotto 055DB
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2274?livid=68|69&idx=71

141RC basic pan + tilt head
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2342?livid=80|81&lsf=81&child=1

I am not sure if I only need a good video head (like the 503), or a new video head and new legs. I heard that there are better legs which can be adjusted with one hand, in contradiction to my 055DB.

This combination was recommended by another forum member:

Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 13.5 lb (6.1 kg)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It looks good to me but the weight (5.6kg) makes me think that this tripod is not really suited for travelling by foot. Maybe I just need a cheap/crappy tripod that will just allow me to get my camera leveled.

Still, I would like to hear the advice of people who travel a lot by plane/foot. Or even better, people who hike through forests etcetera.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #21
Tourist

Light But Sturdy Tripod Recommendation

I'm going to Greece on vacation on the 20th and I need a recommendation for a tripod. We already bought a $500 head that we put on another manfrotto tripod we already had. Thing is, it isn't really sturdy enough because the tripod was made for still cameras. The legs don't stay locked very well and it isn't easy to setup fast. It works, but not great.

I need a tripod that is maneuverable, fast and easy to setup on the fly, and is strong enough for an XL2 with all the accessories we bought. We just need the legs since we already have a good head. I'm hoping there is one for under $300 and can purchase it from B&H.
William Gawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Lightest fluid head for travelling?

Can someone reccommend a light weight fluid head with 4-6kg max capacity?
So far I´m only familiar with Bogen/Manfrotto 501 and 503 heads that weight about 1.6kg but is there any alternative?

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #23
Trustee

Take a look at the Manfrotto 701 RC2. 4 Kilo limit. Weighs 0.8K in contrast to the 1.5K of the Manfrotto 501. But still is a fluid head with sliding plate for balancing, and includes a counterbalance spring.
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #24
Major Player

701RC2 it is then

I quess 701RC2 it is then as my El Carmagne travel legs can carry only 6kg in total I assume. How bad will the 701 head perform under max load?

Hopefully I can try it out with my HVX today.

Thanks,
T
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #25
Trustee

One of the other members discusses this head here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...manfrotto+head

I used to use it for my Z1. It was small, but surprisingly good. I upgraded to something much more expensive, but if I had to have something lightweight, I would have kept it for sure.

There are a few reviews on the web if you want to search as well.
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #26
Major Player

About a week ago I had to shoot some corporate stuff during one day shoot in office with Canon XHA1. I must say that the 701rc2 head with Velbon El Carmagne legs worked well for run and gun type of office shoot, I must say that the XH series camcorders are the max optimum load for 701 head.
Also the XH A1 held up really good in available light indoors.

T
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #27
Regular Crew

The Gitzo G2180 weighs 570 grams and is rated up to 4 kg. I am using it for 2 kg and it works smoothly even at 20X.
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Peter,

Is the QR plate of the G2180 reversible? Cause as you might already know I intend to use a light weight CF legs for occasional shoulder support for the camcorder.

Cheers,
T
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #29
Regular Crew

<Is the QR plate of the G2180 reversible?>

I just tried it and yes it is reversible. Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Peter
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #30
Major Player

I see that this Gitzo G2180 head is quite a exlusive item here on DVinfo so I quess that I`ll review it soon, thanks again Peter for pointing that one out as none of the searches on Gitzo heads haven`t brought up the DV usability of those heads.
I can only imagine how portable would it be with the new set of Gitzo GT2530LVL leveling(!) legs that can carry 12kg but weights only 1.6kg.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads