DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Lightweight Professional Travel Tripod? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/11235-lightweight-professional-travel-tripod.html)

Donny Miele June 24th, 2003 08:36 PM

Lightweight Professional Travel Tripod?

I have just combed through the threads here and have learned a quite a bit about tripods for DV cams thanks to the generous posters. However, I have a specific need that I was hoping some of the members may have some experience with.

I have assembled a VX2000 system that I will be taking to Italy to shoot some iterviews for a documentary project. The camera will be weighted down a bit with a beachtek, ME66, WA Lens, etc. The ideal legs/head combo wouldn't require much setup, would be lightweight yet stable and of professional quality for under $500 (plus or minus).

Thanks in advance and I appologize if this a recent subject repeat.

Adrian Douglas June 24th, 2003 11:02 PM

For a lightweight and cheap set-up I'd be looking at the Manfrotto/Bogen Carbon-fibre legs and either the 501 or 503 heads.

Alan Craven June 29th, 2003 12:13 AM

The Gitzo G1127 legs are very light and rigid - more so than other carbon fibre legs I compared them with, including Velbon and Manfrotto. There is also a 4 section set of legs, which are shorter for packing.

I have two heads for use with them: A Gitzo 2380, which is very good, but quite heavy, and a Manfrotto MN200 composite head, which is OK, but very much lighter.

The legs have a hook under the centre from which you can hang a weighted bag. This is very useful for adding extra stability. I have made a bag in PU coated Cordura which fits over my Canon GL1/XM1 when it is on the head.

Jeff Donald June 29th, 2003 01:01 AM

The Gitzo four section legs will fold up smaller, but are slightly less rigid in my opinion. I'm not sure the pricing will meet your requirements either. Small, light weight, sturdy and under $500 are almost mutually exclusive in video tripods. I'll check some pricing and make some recommendations.

Alan Craven June 29th, 2003 05:30 AM

I agree. This is why I went for the 3-section, despite not being so convenient to carry around.

I paid £210 in the UK for the Gitzo legs, £140 for the Gitzo head and £54 for the Manfrotto head.

John Locke June 29th, 2003 05:59 AM

The Libec TH-650, head and leg combo, is only 3.2 kg. It has three sections. Folded it's 750mm, extended 1,500mm...and holds 5 kg. There are other Libec models that might be even lighter.

Jeff Donald June 29th, 2003 01:54 PM

The Gitzo G1127 is around $400 USD, depending on the center column you choose. The G2380 head is around $175 USD and Bogen 501 (3433) is around $150 USD. These are excellent choices, but you'll be well over budget with shipping and/or sales tax. If your budget permits a little stretching, the Gitzo head and sticks will not disappoint.

If on the other hand the budget is already stretched (and who's isn't) then I would have a serious look at the Libec outfits. They are fairly economical and you'll find numerous recommendations if you search the topic.

Donny Miele June 29th, 2003 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions above!

I went by my local film/video store here in San Francisco to check out the Bogen carbon fiber options. They had some nice stuff, but just outside my price range. I'll see if I can't track down someone with one of the Libec or Gitzo options mentioned above. A tripod is one of the few acessories that I need to touch and feel before I buy.

Thanks again. I'll report back if I come across something interesting not already discussed.

Dave Largent June 30th, 2004 04:10 AM

Lightweight Stiff Tripod

I have a number of the big, heavier Bogens
(3246, 3058, 3061, etc.)
What I'm looking for is something with a column
that is more portable when I need to be mobile.
Right now I'm using a Sunpak with a 503 head.
Tilts are okay but the drag of the 503 on panning
twists the legs. It doesn't have to be tall, only
about 5 feet or so. Here's a link to the one
I'm using now. I'm looking for something that
has the same basic structure, but stiff and light.
Any ideas?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=299932&is=REG

Paul Tauger June 30th, 2004 11:06 AM

You didn't mention what kind of camera you're using, or how much it weights. I use Bogen/Manfrotto 3444D carbon sticks with my VX2000, which are nice and rigid.

Dave Largent June 30th, 2004 08:09 PM

I'm using VX2000 also.
One of the reasons I'm looking for something smaller
is so that I can move through a crowd, carrying the
tripod and camera by gripping the tripod center
column with one hand. The tripods I have now mostly
require two hands to move.

Paul Tauger July 1st, 2004 11:22 AM

The 3444D has a relatively short center column, but I've carried it, with camera mounted, in the manner you've described. As I recall, there's another version by Manfrotto that has a longer column. I'd recommend these sticks -- they're rock solid with the VX2000 and very, very light. If you want to see some stuff I shot with them, take a look at www.ruyitang.com and click on the Venice at Night or Florence at Night clips.

Dale Lundy March 13th, 2006 11:02 AM

Lightweight Tripod for Field Work

I would like to get a decent tripod for a DVX100B; I will be traveling to France and Cambodia and being on my feet and carrying it a lot so weight is definitely an issue; keeping the cost as low as possible is important also.

In addition I am considering a monopod for those circumstances where carrying a tripod would be impractical.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Dale

Alan Craven March 13th, 2006 12:17 PM

Look at the range of Gitzo carbon fibre tripods. They have noticeably more rigid legs than the competition.

Dennis Kane March 14th, 2006 08:44 AM

I have the Gitzo 1325 carbon legs and 1380 fluid head. This is about the lightest stable fluid combination I could find. Miller solo series is also comparable, but the DS10 head is not as good. My system weight 9lbs, not what I would call real light, but I can't find anything else that weighs less and has the same quality/performance.
dkane