good set of legs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

So Chris, from what I can gather, cheaper tripods tend to wobble a tiny bit. It is not noticable so much in SD, but in full-HD it is. I have looked at my financial resources at hand, and don't have a lot of money to allocate to a tripod. Could not I just by a sturdy Libec or Manfrotto and slap a so-so head to it if I don't intend to pan but just keep the camera static? I want to get a tripod I can use for an eventual b-cam, and I would not need to pan. Just something that would hold the camera solidly without showing wobble or jittering. I have re-evaluted my finances, and this needs to be a sort of interim-tripod. Sort of like a temporary and functional car that can get you from point a to point b while you wait for your more expensive luxury model (The FiberTecs with a Satchler). What about something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ge_Tripod.html

And a head like:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ideo_Head.html

I don't know whether the quick-release 501 would be better. Again, I don't need to pan with this rig. It will be used for static shots. That's about it.
Spencer Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi again Spencer............

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with this.

As an interim solution both items would work fine, tho' I think the 503 would be a better solution than the 501 as a good all rounder.

Incidently (I'm not entirely sure I understand the first sentence on that last line) both the 501 and 503 come with the standard Manfrotto quick release plate shown on the accessories page. If you have a second/ B roll camera another plate does save a lot of buggering about.

Good luck and happy shooting.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The 501 seems to come in a quick-release model as well as a sliding plate or something. I mistakenly purchased a Manfrotto 128RC, and, aside from it only having a weight-capacity slightly higher than the EX1's weight, it has a quick-release, and it seems not as safe as the other type of Manfrotto heads with the sliding plates or whatever they are called. Not sure if they are as flimsy as I think.

Which 503 did you mean? The 503 or the 503hdv?

Given the criteria I have for this setup Chris, would you say I'd be better to go with the Libec or the Manfrotto legs? I don't know if I can get the Libecs in Canada, at least not from Vancouver or Victoria BC.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi.....

Both the 501/ 503 (Original & HDV models) come with what used to be called a 501plate (now relabeled with a 4 digit number), which is the quick release plate. Apart from an extra long version (presumably for longer cameras/ front heavy cameras which need to be set further back on the head etc) there is no other quick release option for either head (that 501plate is used on other, higher end Manfrotto's as well).

Nor is there any other camera mounting option for either head - it's the plate or nothing.

I actually meant the 503HDV. I have a standard 503 and it was one of the reasons I now have a Vinten Vision 3 as my main head. The HDV just HAS to be better than the previous version, but how much better I can't say, but, hey, anything's a bonus.

Going back to that plate for a moment, they are pretty robust in practice, and strange as it may seem, load into my 503 better than the Vinten plate does into the V3 (the 503 has an oversize "landing area" at the mouth of the plate slot that guides it in once you're in the ball park.

I guess you could go for the equivalent Manfrotto's, tho' not entirely sure what that would be, hopefully not the 525's (I have a set of the 525's predecessors, the 520's, and they are the reason I now have a set of FiberTecs).

Unless the 525's are an absolutely gigantic leap forwards in stability and rigidity from the 520's I wouldn't recommend 'em to my worst enemy!

I have seem numerous posts hailing the quality of some of the Libec 'pods but cannot recall which models (shouldn't be hard to find with a quick search, or check out the gigantic "Which tripod for A1" thread elsewhere in this forum).

As for their availability, I would have thought you'd just hook onto B&H in NY and order what you want from there. They are good bods to deal with and don't hang about on the delivery either. If you go via the "sponsors" button top RHS of every DVinfo page, DVinfo gets flagged as the source of the buy BTW.

CS
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I have considered ordering from B&H but was wondering about customs. (I live in Canada). I doubt that they would seize a tripod and a head, but they always could if they wanted to. Would there be a way I could be covered by the shipping company if customs did seize my gear?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Er...............

Why, exactly, would Customs be interested is seizing your gear?**

There must be $10 million worth of stuff crosses that border every single day, can't see why they would single your gear out for special treatment, and as video tripods and heads wouldn't be covered under any restrictions like firearms, nuclear fuels etc they (Customs) would need to have a very good explanation for any such action.

No idea what import duty (if any) is payable from the USA to Canada (aren't they in some sort of free trade zone with no duties either way?). You could always hook onto the Canadian Customs web site for that sort of info.

In the event there was some sort of duty/ tax, the shipping company puts the parcel on ice (in a Canadian warehouse) till you pony up the readies, then they send it on.

Go on, order it from B&H.

CS

PS.

** 1. Unless the Canadian Govt is planning on finally putting into action their long planned invasion of the USA. Can't see why they'd bother, but there you go.

**2. I'm quite sure B&H won't slap a big label on the parcel declaring the contents to be "Nuclear Missile Launcher, Terrorists, for the use of, (batteries not included)".
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I hope they don't label their shipped items like that! Lol. I didn't think customs would seize it...I'm just being careful. Chris, for around the same amount of money, I could get this instead of the 503hdv:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...luid_Head.html

Thoughts?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hmmm.......

off the top of my head, having just read the specs for the Libec and the Manfrotto (don't know why, the posted link didn't actually do anything btw) I'd say the Manfrotto has it in the options stakes: -

Three step variable counterbalance &

Continuously variable tilt/ pan drag settings.

That none of the three steps may actually match your camera's COG is valid but at least you'd be in the ball park - the Libec may well be a curse depending on what value the counterbalance has been set to, if you camera is much lighter than the counterbalance spring you'll be fighting to keep it at any setting other than level.

The variable drag is good as it allows you to match the drag to your handling style and the "wind up" coefficient of the sticks - the bigger the wind up the lower you set the drag (within reason).

That said, the Libec may well be the better engineered unit, not something I can comment on, but again, something that should have been discussed in the forums ad nauseum.

It's a nicer looking unit than the Manfrotto (to my eyes) but then again, looks ain't everything.

I'd check and see in the forums but pretty sure these two would have been compared pretty thoroughly.

CS
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Dickson View Post
I just ordered an EX1 and I don't have enough money to buy a $2000 fluid head, but...
I just bought the DS20 Solo DV Carbon Fibre System and it's a wonderful tripod/head. The head is rated up to 10kg, which allows future accessories to be installed on the EX1 (matte box, lens adapters) without concern. The legs can spread out, quickly bringing the head down to about 12" off the ground. Very nice.

I've used a variety of tripods for my still work, and this Miller fits in with the best of 'em.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads