Satchler Vs. O'connor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Satchler Vs. O'connor.

I read in another forum that Satchler owns O'connor, but I don't know. I presume that the O'connor FH's are better than the Satchlers, as they are apparently REAL fluid heads, but if you were in the market for a really good head for an EX1, is there an absolutely BEST model to get? What about the legs?

My main question is: Will a $2000+ Satchler head pan and tilt with great fluidity whilst staying rock-steady (Provided the legs are rock-solid)? Or will an O'connor produce a markedly better result? Please note that I won't be buying a tripod or FH of this level for a while, but I want to get a firm idea of what I need. I will be shooting low-budget features, so heaviness isn't really an issue. I want the best quality for the money, and my price-range is going to be around $2000+ for legs and $2000+ for a FH. (Kind of rules out the O'connor. Maybe I'll sell my body on Ebay. Hope there are air holes in those FedEx crates! Lol.)
Spencer Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

There's a Sachtler for sale in our classifieds right now that would be perfect for the EX-1. A DV6SB head and legs.

Have a look: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112112

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
There's a Sachtler for sale in our classifieds right now that would be perfect for the EX-1. A DV6SB head and legs.

Have a look: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112112

-gb-
I'm second to this))))
I'm the seller

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Dickson View Post
I read in another forum that Satchler owns O'connor, but I don't know.
Not true. The Vitec Group owns Sachtler, O'Connor and Vinten. http://www.vitecgroup.com/group/broadcast_systems.aspx

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Wrangler

Sachtlers are good heads, but once you go O'Connor you never go back.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Why not rent? You can try different models.
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #7
DVi Contributor

It's kinda like chevy people move up to olds and ford people move upto mercury.

Each one of these manufacturers has both a high quality product line as well as a lower end product line. Just look at the pricing on tripods and spreaders, not just the heads. The best thing is you can mix and match. I think Sachtler makes a better tripod sustem. Currently O'connor is making a smoother head ( at a certain price point) Charles will probably go along with this statement. ?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Major Player

Somewhat true. But O'Connor and Vinten (high-end) are in another league entirely from Sachtler, even the higher-priced Sachtlers. Sachtlers are durable in rental environments, and relatively cheap next to their upmarket companions. They work well, do the job, and are pretty universal because of the aformentioned features. Are they the best choice for a personal set of sticks? I don't personally think so.

In the roughly $4000 price range (for legs and head), you may find a used O'Connor Ultimate DV (which is still listed at adorama..I thought it was discontinued???) which is a fantastic system. Or something like the Vinten Vision 6... or if you stretch the budget a tad the Vision 100, which is (in my opinion) the only head that gives the Oconnor 1030HD a run for its money.

A lot of people like the higher-end offerings from Miller... though I personally find them to be springy, overly prone to backlash. Next to a Vision 8, I found the Miller's (Arrow 40) fluid to be a couple generations behind in terms of its responsiveness to changes in pan and tilt speed. Smooth, absolutely, just not as refined in terms of nuance. Obviously anything at the $4000 price level will be pretty good. But at anything over "cheap" prices, the last 1% of performance is really where you must look to find differences between similar products. In this day and age, computer fluid modeling and advancing manufacturing techniques have leveled the playing field in many ways, meaning you can get an AWFUL lot of performance for that $4000. Oconnor, Miller, Vinten all make great products, and you would likely be extremely happy with a product from any of them.

Benjamin had a good point - before you drop a few grand, take a trip to a rental house and try to get both sets you want side-by side. If you live too far from one, it may be worth the rental and shipping just to KNOW which is better to you. We all obviously have our opinions, but the only one that matters is yours - it's your kit! And again - at that price level, you'll be able to get something very nice... it basically comes down to the very tiniest of details and features. Find the one you like and never look back.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

best tripod

you really need to try out the various systems that are available as you've probably noticed most users have their own preference and bias toward the system they use and or wish they owned i have owend and used sachtlers cartonis bogens and millers in that all illusive quest for the perfect system buy a good system and learn how to use it because no matter how much money you spend-- and by the way four grand for a video set-up will get you a first class system--if you do not learn to use it properly.... well you know the reat of the story
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

best tripod

oh i forgot i also owned an o'connor
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:07 PM   #11
DVi Contributor

Keep in mind that a really good tripod will hold its value for several years, should you ever decide to stop doing this type of work anything over $5,000 will still get you top dollar.

Also remember that poor tripods lead to lock failure which leads to cameras falling over and hitting the ground.

It's always worth the day rate to rent a system and go work with it before laying down the money, and the rental house will thank you for it ;)
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads