EX1 Tripod selection - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #31
Major Player

Dv-6sb Sl

Bob, I just post it one DV-6SB with Speed Lock on CF legs at the "classified" forum. Spanking new.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #32
Trustee

Re the 503HDV - I have the Vinten Pro6-HDV which is the same head, different sticks. It's a rebranded 503HDV head with a genuine set of Vinten poziloc alloy legs.

Of course, if you go for the Manfrotto version you probably won't get quite as good legs, but the comments re. the head will still hold up.
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I too am looking for a new tripod for my EX1 and the Sachtler FSB-6 looks to be a perfect match (the Cartoni and Miller look nice, and I've also considered a Libec LS38M), but does this tripod system really weigh only 8.6 lbs?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html

I've also noticed that Sachtler offers two different types of mid-level spreaders (one higher than the other). What are the practical applications for each type? I'm used to working with a ground spreader, but everyone here seems to prefer mid-level.

And one stage vs two. My current tripod is single stage and quick to set-up. Any opinions here? It would be a shame to get just the right head but the wrong sticks!
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #34
Regular Crew

If you can afford the sacthler setup/head, then go with that...it will be a different world compared with manfrotto.

I went from a Libec 950 to sacthler dv6 for my Z1, it's hard to describe how good the sacthler is....you have to try....no more jerky movements when the temperature drops well below freezing. A nice and warm showroom is one thing, snow, dust, dirt and the real world is another thing.....

Of course there are more economical setups, Libec do have some pretty good alternatives(i prefer them over manfrotto) and Cartoni is always an option.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Perhaps I should clarify my earlier question. I'm about to order the FSB-6 system and debating between the 1-stage and 2-stage versions. Other than collapsing to a shorter height, what practical pros/cons, if any, does 2-stage offer over single? Sorry if my request is a bit elementary.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Good question. I got the Carbon Fiber SpeedLock legs which is 2 stage only.

SpeedLock Carbon 2 Stage
http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id...d=7&exp_cid=32

Single stage description doesn't say much but for me I don't want to deal with twist lock or bending down to extend legs.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Magnussen View Post
If you can afford the sacthler setup/head, then go with that...it will be a different world compared with manfrotto.

I went from a Libec 950 to sacthler dv6 for my Z1, it's hard to describe how good the sacthler is....you have to try....no more jerky movements when the temperature drops well below freezing.
Again.... I have one spanking new DV6 SB on sale with top notch CF legs with "SpeedLock".
I'm surprised nobody want it.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:50 PM   #38
Major Player

If you want the best of both worlds, get the DV6SB head, and pair it with a set of Gitzo carbon fiber legs. The Gitzo legs let you put the camera nearly on the ground and still use the head normally.

It's too bad you don't get more of a price break when you buy the head by itself.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #39
Regular Crew

EX1 Tripod selection

I am looking at a new tripod. It might be nice to have some remote capabilities also. Any suggestions?
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #40
Major Player

Choose a tripod based on what you shoot not the camera. As a personal note I like and use Manfrotto - good old Italian over-engineering. One thing I would always get is a leveling ball and thought I don't have one a motor pan would be nice.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #41
Trustee

i use a miller solo carbon fibre ds20. amazing tripod and it goes incredibly low too.
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
i use a miller solo carbon fibre ds20. amazing tripod and it goes incredibly low too.
Phil (love your stuff, BTW),

Would the ds20 still be a good choice for the EX1 without the added weight of 35mm adapters, lenses, rails, etc? The naked camera weighs-in at 6 lbs and the Miller is rated for 10/20 lbs.

The other option I'm considering is the Sachtler FSB-6. The problem with this is when (and if) I ever step up to the next level, the Sachtler won't handle the extra weight (13 lb max).

How much does your well accessorised rig weigh?
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #43
Trustee

I weighed my EX with a Letus and a Nikon 80-200 at 15 lbs without matte box or follow focus so it could go up from there. I don't think a DV6 would be heavy enough for that .

I'm looking at a Miller Arrow 20, Sachtler 15 or 18. Pricey though. But at least I'll stop having clients complain about shakiness on the 200mm interviews.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #44
New Boot

Cartoni?

Anybody have any experience with the Cartoni Focus?
Simon Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #45
Major Player

I have it, with Miller legs (i sold the A304 legs that came with it)

Nice for the money, but three issues:

100mm ball is nice, but necessitates bigger legs than are one might want - my miller carbon fibres are great, but I would have liked to get the smaller ones, which have a 75mm bowl.

When you finish a pan, and let go of the handle, the head reverses slightly. This is only an issue with long lenses, and is OK for an experienced operator, but it's not a trait you'd find on an O'Connor (which costs 8 times as much, by the way)

The pan bar is a bit flimsy and flexible for my taste.

But all in all, it's an excellent match for the EX1 - it balances and counterbalances perfectly.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; February 10th, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads