EX1 Tripod selection - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #61
Regular Crew

I too am looking for a good tripod for an EX1 that we will be using in a corporate environment shooting in our cabinetry showroom and boardrooms. I have someone recommending the Manfrotto 503HDV head with a 351MVB2 tripod. I have had experience with Bogen a few years ago, and did not like the one we had. Any suggestions on something for us to shoot in kitchens mockups to shoot kitchen and bath cabinetry from eye level down to getting low and close to some of the cabinets to show the features of them. We had a few years ago the Vinten Vision 6 system, but that might be a little much for an EX-1 though. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue with my budget. Something 2000-2500 or less.

Any recommendations for my price and use?
Kurt Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Viducich View Post
the two stage leg setup allows you to get the camera closer to the ground than a single stage setup
Not that closer if you have middle spreader. But you can always get the camera higher.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Heim View Post
I too am looking for a good tripod for an EX1 that we will be using in a corporate environment shooting in our cabinetry showroom and boardrooms. I have someone recommending the Manfrotto 503HDV head with a 351MVB2 tripod. I have had experience with Bogen a few years ago, and did not like the one we had. Any suggestions on something for us to shoot in kitchens mockups to shoot kitchen and bath cabinetry from eye level down to getting low and close to some of the cabinets to show the features of them. We had a few years ago the Vinten Vision 6 system, but that might be a little much for an EX-1 though. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue with my budget. Something 2000-2500 or less.

Any recommendations for my price and use?
Why do you say the Vision 6 is a little much for an EX-1? The camera is heavy enought for the Vision 6. It is an excelent head, but if you whant to spend less try the Vision 3. It is the same head but without counterbalance progressive control. Or you could consider the Cartoni Focus, very good head.

If you have the money don't buy the Manfrotto, I had one and always desliked it. It is ok for the price... but that's all!
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia View Post
Why do you say the Vision 6 is a little much for an EX-1? The camera is heavy enought for the Vision 6.
I don't have any hands-on experience with the Vision 6, but based on the balance chart in the manual (see below), I always thought the counterbalance was too strong for cameras like the EX1, HVX200, etc. Are other people finding this is not true?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...rt_vision6.jpg

Fluids heads that I would consider for the EX1:

- OConnor Ultimate DV or 515 (must find used; heavy head but best counterbalance system, same high-end construction and feel as larger OConnor heads)
- Vinten Vision 3
- Sachtler DV-6SB/FSB-6
- Cartoni Focus

I ruled out the Miller DS series because it really only has one drag setting and the counterbalance is too limited. I don't have much experience with Bogen heads so I can't say much there.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #65
Regular Crew

I'm using the EX1 on the Sachtler FSB6 with carbon-fiber legs (the 2 stage legs offered through B+H). It's a nice setup - I am really glad to have the carbon fiber, because I can't imagine carrying a tripod 4 lbs heavier than this for any distance (I do nature stuff, and sometimes hike alone with the camera in its Cinebags backpack and the Sachtler in its bag over my shoulder). The head balances easily with the EX1, and has plenty of capacity to be buttery smooth on pans and tilts. I looked around, and couldn't find anything lighter that would support the EX1 with any capacity to spare at all (there is a really light Manfrotto setup that uses a tiny (50mm?) bowl and has a capacity EXACTLY the weight of the EX1, which struck me as cutting it too close). The Sachtler setup is incredibly well built, as it should be for $1700 (and I thought that my $450 still photo tripod was expensive)?! I've never tried the EX1 on any other tripod, so I can't compare, but the Sachtler setup is certainly a good choice...

-Dan
Dan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Le View Post
I don't have any hands-on experience with the Vision 6, but based on the balance chart in the manual (see below), I always thought the counterbalance was too strong for cameras like the EX1, HVX200, etc. Are other people finding this is not true?
I've never seen that graphic, my post was based on my experience with a HVX200 and a Vision 6. I didn't find the counterbalance too strong for the camera's weight. It had a matte box and a follow focus attached however...

I think the vision 3 supports lighter cameras with the weekest spring, but I would chose a head with a continuos counterbalance adjustment from 0 to x pounds. That's why I like the Cartoni Focus so much, it's a very adjustable head.
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #67
Regular Crew

I went through this thing last November. I have the Sony Z1, and I eventually chose the Miller Solo DV DS10 Carbon Fiber because I wanted something smooth, versatile, and light. It weighs about 8.5 pounds vs. just under 12 for the FSB6 Carbon Fiber system.

That being said, there was a lot I liked about the FSB6, and it was a tough choice. I also got a chance to try the Bogens, and for small cams I actually found their less-expensive 501 HDV smoother! Go figure.

The 501 HDV is limited to about 8 pounds, but the FSB6 goes up to 13.2 pounds and gives you more growth room. The mechanics of it are different from the Bogen. The Bogen adjusts by putting more friction drag into the mix, basically tighting up on internal discs. The Sachtler has a gear shift system which runs the viscous damping elements faster. Without getting into engineering equations, viscous damping is better at smoothing motion than friction.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Tripod for EX1 with Letus Extreme + lense with Zacuto rail system

Hi there,
I am planning to buy the EX1 but want to use it in the future also with the Letus 35mm DOF adapters on the Zacuto rail system..
That means the total system will become much heavier than only the camera itself.
From stability and weight point of view, would it be enough to use a Sachtler System FSB6 or other 75mm fluid head. Would it otherwise be necessary to upgrade to a 100mm fluid head ? That would be an expensive upgrade...

The whole system should be perfectly balanced - but not heavily oversized. I like to keep as mobile as possible...;-)

Perhaps someone of the Letus users can answer, based on experience.

Thanks - although I am a newby on this forum, I enjoy the quality of discussions...

regards,

Ulli
Ulli Grunow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #69
Regular Crew

I do event videography and have had a light weight single extension Sachtler for probably 20 years now and have always loved it. Quick, light and great head. Rated for about 14 lbs but I have used up to 20 lbs with various camcorder setups over the years as my style is to wrap the right arm under to help nudge with shoulder for tilts and be able to work the zoom with the right hand, (with it behind & over the zoom rocker, not through the grip strap) and focus with the left.

But I have needed all these years as well and finally bought this week a serious, solid, TALL tripod in the Bogen 3258. This well made black beast has a beefy center pole riser, but can hit over 7 feet high from dual extensions on the solid legs without even using the riser. Max height is 104"....pretty impressive. 17lbs without head. The head that seemed to make sense is the 503HDV which is rated up to 17 lbs and if you work with it carefully, seems like it can be "reasonably" smooth. The tripod utilizes, and the head of course accepts a threaded mounting stud. Plus the head is pretty reasonable at under $400. But it is no Sachtler.

I am curious as I just received the setup from B&H and could still swap out the head for something better if it didn't cost a whole bunch more, if there is anything higher quality that accepts that kind of mounting stud rather than being ball style? I don't have the funds and won't be using this tall setup often enough to justify spending a lot more for a head and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks very much

Ron
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #70
Regular Crew

After setting everything up with the new Bogen 3258 "supertall" and figuring best balance spot for the quick release plate, I played with all the drag and tilt friction settings with both a Sony DSR 300 SD and JVC HD200, and it seems like the 503HDV head will be servicable for the not too many times a year I'll need to use it. EXCEPT that annoying fault of lesser, not true fluid heads, of there being now after awhile, a tiny bit of play when starting pans. What's up with that? The head is screwed down tightly and anchored well with the set screws. Tilts are fine. It didn't seem like there was any play on pans at the outset, but now after about 20 minutes of movements with the camcorders it is there. Does anyone have any tips on what that is about and how to get rid of it?

Thanks

Ron
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Hi Ron...........

When you say "play", do you mean the head actually moving without any apparent drag and then the drag kicking in?

If so, is it possible the culprit is the geared centre column on the 3258?

I've got a Velbon stills tripod with the same sort of arrangement, and unless the column lock is jammed on really hard it will display the same sort of "play" doing a pan (not that I use it for video).

It is, of course, possible for it to be the head itself. Ashok Mansur, another poster in these threads, has just reported similar play in a Manfrotto 519 head.

The best way to find the culprit is to set the head pan lock on hard and move the pan bar back and forth.

If the play is there with the pan lock on, it would appear to be a sticks problem.

If the problem refuses to show itself with the pan lock on, it looks like a head issue.

Best I can do for the moment.

Good luck.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Bogen 503HDV / 3258 "Tall" Tripod Combo

Yes, I was referring to "very" slight travel on pans before the friction. The center pole is not an issue as it is all the way down and locked and very solid, unlike most other pole implementations. BTW, I can't say enough about the build quality of this Bogen 3258. It is a rock solid, "very" fine looking piece of equipment that will get you up to 104" if you need it. Over 7 feet without the pole!! This is the only one I was able to find that gets way up there, and only because I had borrowed one like it in the past. Very impressed. Plus it was like $470.

I think I may have improved the play situation last night by reseating the 503HDV head again. I loosened the set screws and this time really put some pressure (again with the pan lock engaged) on turning the head down as far as it would possibly go on the main threaded mounting stud, and then retightening the set screws.

At first it seemed as if that had taken care of any pan play, but then I again felt a couple times a very small movement. But this morning, due to your question about the pole, I just figured I would double check that and it is totally tight. This morning however, it seems I have no play at all on pans, and as long as the performance hovers between "zero" and "very slight" I will consider the Bogen 3258 / 503HDV to be a very fine, cost effective combination for TALL tripoding needs.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM   #73
New Boot

Tripod Help - Need Sound Advice ASAP

I need to pickup a tripod ASAP for a variety of gigs - however I still don't know which direction to go.

The Cartoni HiDV1 is the most I could possibly afford.

I currently have a 7.5lb rig but will be getting a matte box/rails/35mm adapter/etc. in the future.

So the question becomes 3-fold.

1. Seeing and all I will be needing a tripod that will be able to handle more weight down the road -- would anythign within my price range be future proof?

2. If not, which would be the best option for handling my current payload?

3. Would it be possible (as I still need to buy some more goodies for my cam and am now broke) to be able to use a 500 dollar setup functionally for weddings? If so what tripod would be best -- some people swear by the 503hdv, some say it is crap. Others say that Libec makes a professional product, etc.

Also -- I have seen online a Gitzo 1380 head with the 11lb spring setup which was moderately affordable. Does anyone have any experience with this head and have advice based upon my needs (my main concern is being able to professionally pan in telephoto for weddings) ? Does anyone know where to get replacement springs - as the one I found only has the 11lb variety? Does anyone know what would be a good cheap leg selection to throw under this head? (all of these other questions are based upon whether or not this head is any good)

Thank you immensely - Alex.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #74
New Boot

Can't afford Sachtler

I need to pickup a tripod ASAP for a variety of gigs - however I still don't know which direction to go.

The Cartoni HiDV1 is the most I could possibly afford (ruling out vision 3/all sachtler models/etc.)

I currently have a 7.5lb rig but will be getting a matte box/rails/35mm adapter/etc. in the future.

So the question becomes 3-fold.

1. Seeing and all I will be needing a tripod that will be able to handle more weight down the road -- would anythign within my price range be future proof?

2. If not, which would be the best option for handling my current payload?

3. Would it be possible (as I still need to buy some more goodies for my cam and am now broke) to be able to use a 500 dollar setup functionally for weddings? If so what tripod would be best -- some people swear by the 503hdv, some say it is crap. Others say that Libec makes a professional product, etc.

Also -- I have seen online a Gitzo 1380 head with the 11lb spring setup which was moderately affordable. Does anyone have any experience with this head and have advice based upon my needs (my main concern is being able to professionally pan in telephoto for weddings) ? Does anyone know where to get replacement springs - as the one I found only has the 11lb variety? Does anyone know what would be a good cheap leg selection to throw under this head? (all of these other questions are based upon whether or not this head is any good)

Thank you immensely - Alex.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Try the Support section of this site.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads