EX1 Tripod selection - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #91
Major Player

Thanks everyone - I did notice the Solo's being used on Phil Bloom's Blog, so there is proof for you!

I will order them this weekend. So that's the legs... I just need to decide on the DS-10 or 20, but at least I am headed in the right direction.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:01 PM   #92
New Boot

I did an extensive search about 6 months ago. I wanted great quality, light weight, fast setup, mid level spreader and illuminating bubble. All important features to me. Price was not a big consideration.

I looked at Cartoni Focus, Sachtler FSB-6, Vinten Vision 3 and others. One thing I read was the Cartoni and Sachtler had a "bounce back" effect. I can't remember the technical name for that, but when you pan and release your hand pressure, you can see a very slight recoil. The Vinten 3 apparently did not have this, making it probably the best of the group.

Although I read great things about the Miller DV10 Solo, I did not consider it because it lacked the mid level spreader and illuminated bubble. The Vinten had a great head but I really hate that the tripod is not black and I really wanted a black tripod to blend in better.

So I chose the Sachtler FSB-6 with the carbon fiber legs from B&H. I love the legs and the head is what I was expecting. It does have a slight bounce back effect which is my only complaint, even though I knew it when i bought it. But it does have all the other features I wanted; light weight, fast set up, mid level spreader and illuminating bubble.

I just bought two EX1's so now I need a second good tripod. I am reconsidering the Vinten Vision 3 or another Sachtler.
Jenny Lehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #93
Trustee

has anyone compared the DS20 to a Cartoni Focus. I've been wondering whetehr i need to go up as far as an Arrow25 to be able to use an Ex-1 with 35mm adapter , Nikon zoom, mattebox and a Panasonic monitor all on that head. It will be close to 20 lbs. Its already 15 lbs without the mattebox and monitor.

Arrow 25 is alot more dough though.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #94
Major Player

leonard,

can you post a link to the ex1 35mm adaptor for nikon lens?
thanks!

i went to B&H yesterday and played with the heads and to purchase some mikes.
they had a manfrotto 519 with the EX1, seem awfully large for the EX1.
the gitzo 1380 was nearby and that seems ideal for your EX1 with attachments. the 1380 was holding a 350 and it was so smooth.
speaking of smooth, i thought with the proper adjustments, the 501, 502, and 519 manfrotto heads nearby can be as smooth as the 1380 gitzo, but the gitzo was much smaller in bulk, if that is an important factor to anyone.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
has anyone compared the DS20 to a Cartoni Focus. I've been wondering whetehr i need to go up as far as an Arrow25 to be able to use an Ex-1 with 35mm adapter , Nikon zoom, mattebox and a Panasonic monitor all on that head. It will be close to 20 lbs. Its already 15 lbs without the mattebox and monitor.

Arrow 25 is alot more dough though.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #95
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
leonard,

can you post a link to the ex1 35mm adaptor for nikon lens?
thanks!

think you should look at my site for that...little bit of info there!!

www.philipbloom.co.uk
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #96
Major Player

Thanks again Phil!
and thank you for the response to my stuck pixel issue.
it is now clear that the EX1 had some fancy built in function that equalize the voltages to the sensors. it checks the output signals, if uneven, than adjust them so they are. it did the job for my baby EX1. let's see if it holds....

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
think you should look at my site for that...little bit of info there!!

www.philipbloom.co.uk
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #97
Major Player

Very good to hear about the Gitzo 1380 head Paul. Thanks!
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #98
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
speaking of smooth, i thought with the proper adjustments, the 501, 502, and 519 manfrotto heads nearby can be as smooth as the 1380 gitzo,
I don't think that you can say smooth and manfrotto in the same sentence.

It is not physically possible for a manfrotto head to be smooth!!!!

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #99
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
Thanks everyone - I did notice the Solo's being used on Phil Bloom's Blog, so there is proof for you!

I will order them this weekend. So that's the legs... I just need to decide on the DS-10 or 20, but at least I am headed in the right direction.
If you order the head and legs together they will be a lot cheaper.

If you are going to use rails, 35mm adaptor, etc. then I would get the 20 head.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #100
Trustee

yes ds20 is the head to go for
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #101
Major Player

Thanks - I just checked in here before ordering - and the DS-20 will be my choice. No one has the Solo DV combo in stock, but I am about to click the B & H order button ... done!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #102
Trustee

Phil,

Do you find the DS20 to be stable for moves on a long lens with the full adapter set-up?
I notice that a lot of what I seen in your shorts has been a lock off, (That's not a criticism BTW I really love your stuff) and where I've been frustrated with my Cartoni is when I am all the way zoomed in on a long lens especially trying to track subtle movements say in an interview.

The Arrow 25 can handle it but i can't seem to find a DS20 to try out. The Miller sales people have suggest the Arrow rather than the DS20, but of course its more expensive. I'm also wary of a 75mm tripod in the same situation.

lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #103
Major Player

adorama has the miller ds-20 head. i did not call to confirm.
i am down to choosing another head for my second cam, either the miller or the gitzo g1380.
the legs though, i am going gitzo g3530s or the longer lvs version. the miller carbon legs are 5.5lbs and the gitzo at 4lbs.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
Thanks - I just checked in here before ordering - and the DS-20 will be my choice. No one has the Solo DV combo in stock, but I am about to click the B & H order button ... done!

Last edited by Paul Chiu; May 25th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Lehman View Post
So I chose the Sachtler FSB-6 with the carbon fiber legs from B&H. I love the legs and the head is what I was expecting. It does have a slight bounce back effect which is my only complaint, even though I knew it when i bought it.
Hi Jenny

I got my Sachtler DV 6 this week with cf legs. Great combo! You should be able to get rid of the bounce back effect by balancing the camera correctly and getting the right positions of the counterbalance knob and the vertical and horizontal fluid dumping settings. My EX stays perfectly in every position of the head without bouncing back.
Rainer Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #105
New Boot

Thanks, I will try it again :)
Jenny Lehman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads