EX1 Tripod selection - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 10th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #46
Trustee

I have the Focus and have used it for 2 years with the HVX200- same size as EX. It's a nice unit, and unlike Eric, I like the legs and the 100mm ball. I would never get 75mm. However for me it is not heavy enough for use of the lens at extreme telephoto,. It just isn't stable if I try to do a slight adjust on the longer lenses.

Likewise I like the 35mm adapters and that adds alot of weight - too much for the Focus. That's why I mentioned below that I am planning to upgrade.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #47
Major Player

Hi,

I have the manfrotto kit with 501HDV,525PKIT.
It is not that heavy and the 501 head is quite smooth, even if not as good as a real head, a lot pricier.
The 501 HDV have a "back force" which is just right for the EX1 alone.
I think it won't work with the whole set (ie : follow focus, 35mm adapter...).

Got it from ebay at 480€.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #48
Major Player

I have a Sachtler DV8....probably 4 years old.....don't know if its the same now. I think Sachtler makes great heads. I am on the second set of legs, some carbon ones which are nice and light but cannot go that low which is annoying. The Miller Solos are nice because of how low they can go.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
Phil (love your stuff, BTW),

Would the ds20 still be a good choice for the EX1 without the added weight of 35mm adapters, lenses, rails, etc? The naked camera weighs-in at 6 lbs and the Miller is rated for 10/20 lbs.

The other option I'm considering is the Sachtler FSB-6. The problem with this is when (and if) I ever step up to the next level, the Sachtler won't handle the extra weight (13 lb max).

How much does your well accessorised rig weigh?
yes it's perfect. I used it on my religion shoot with a naked ex1 and it's great. although it says 10/20lbs Miler say using a 7lbs Ex1 is perfect with it and it gives you the ability to use a DOF adaptor in the future on it
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #50
Trustee

i have a focus if anyone wants to buy it off me!
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
yes it's perfect. I used it on my religion shoot with a naked ex1 and it's great. although it says 10/20lbs Miler say using a 7lbs Ex1 is perfect with it and it gives you the ability to use a DOF adaptor in the future on it
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Phil. The only reservation that remains with the ds20 is the wind-up/bounce-back a few have reported. I've not noticed any of that in your shorts (yet an experienced operator can minimize the fault). Have you determined that more effort is required to prevent this with the Solo over comparable systems in this price range?

Really enjoy your blog and films (the word "video" just doesn't do your work or the EX1 justice). Very inspirational!
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #52
Inner Circle

I also got a Manfrotto 501/525 setup since that was what could be afforded with the budget. However I don't care that much for the head as it's not as smooth as I'd like.

So I swapped out the head from my Vinten Pro Touch 130 which is much smoother. It gives me the best of both worlds: Legs that allow a center spreader (better than a bottom spreader when working in sand) and a decent head that doesn't stick when starting a slow pan or tilt.

The Manfrotto head is now on the Vinten legs, and will be used when we're doing two-camera shoots. It'll support the camera doing the wide master shot.
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #53
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Phil. The only reservation that remains with the ds20 is the wind-up/bounce-back a few have reported. I've not noticed any of that in your shorts (yet an experienced operator can minimize the fault). Have you determined that more effort is required to prevent this with the Solo over comparable systems in this price range?

Really enjoy your blog and films (the word "video" just doesn't do your work or the EX1 justice). Very inspirational!
Hi Bill

Bank for buck it's the best tripod I have ever used. The head is beautiful and I do all my moves by holding the head, not the pan handle so maybe that is why I suffer no bounce back.

Also with the solo legs it goes so low its like having a hi hat!
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
Again.... I have one spanking new DV6 SB on sale with top notch CF legs with "SpeedLock".
I'm surprised nobody want it.
Laszlo
Hi Laszlo,
Someone on another thread just recommended the DV6... googled it and up came this DVi thread. And... you're in Canada from the looks of it (I'm in Ottawa). Do you still have the tripod, and... how much do you want for it?
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #55
Regular Crew

one stage vs two

the two stage leg setup allows you to get the camera closer to the ground than a single stage setup
Mark Viducich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #56
Major Player

Malcolm I tried to write to you, but the emails coming back underivable.
If you want just call me: 519-999-7171

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
Malcolm I tried to write to you, but the emails coming back underivable.
If you want just call me: 519-999-7171

Laszlo
Hi Laszlo... haven't been able to reach you by phone. Please email me at malcolm_hamilton@sympatico.ca
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Quick Release Tripod Adaptor for EX-1?

Is there a quick release tripod adapter for the EX-1?
I'm used to a full size camera with a quick release adapter to easily switch between hand-held and tripod held.
Right now my options are to leave the tripod attachment screwed into the EX-1 or to constantly be screwing and unscrewing the attachment into camera.
I'm a little concerned about the threads on the bottom of the camera getting striped-out from constant screwing.
So for now I will leave the attachment on the camera. Most of my shooting will be from the tripod anyway.
A quick release tripod adapter for the EX-1 would make my life a lot easier.

Kevin Jones
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #59
Tourist

Quick Release Tripod Adaptor for EX-1

Try this Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick Release Adapter . I purchased several of them and they are great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html

Ron Frank
Ron Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #60
Regular Crew

For greater support try the Protech product.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:AAQ:US:1123
D Kane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads