any complaints with sachtler dv-6sb at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

any complaints with sachtler dv-6sb

I'm looking at buying a tripod in the $2000 range and I really like sachtlers video series heads that I have used in the past. Also, I have played with the dv-2 and found the quality really lacking. I was wondering what peoples thoughts on the fsb-6/dv-6 with regards to supporting a mid-sized hdv camera with various excesories (matte box, audio receivers, lights, etc.)
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
I'm looking at buying a tripod in the $2000 range and I really like sachtlers video series heads that I have used in the past. Also, I have played with the dv-2 and found the quality really lacking. I was wondering what peoples thoughts on the fsb-6/dv-6 with regards to supporting a mid-sized hdv camera with various excesories (matte box, audio receivers, lights, etc.)
Hi Greg:

I have owned the DV-6SB for about a year and half and I absolutely love it, it's one of the best pieces of gear I have ever owned. I have an HVX-200 along with rod support, rods, matte box, FF, and a Letus Extreme. Although I am right at the maximum weight limit of 20lbs, the DV-6SB handles the load great.

I used to own a Video 18 with my Betacam and the DV-6SB is just as good, only in a smaller, lighter and much cheaper package. The counterbalance steps are good, the tilts and pans are smooth as silk and I can do a simultaneous tilt/pan very smoothly, which is what separates the boys from the men in regards to tripod heads.

I would NOT recommend the fsb-6 if you are ever planning on expanding your package to include a 35mm adapter. 13lbs capacity is too light for my taste, we are always loading our camera up with toys, monitor, wireless receivers, etc. even when not using the Letus.

I would NOT recommend the Sachtler legs, they all have spreaders. I hate spreaders, they are useless unless you are putting a jib or something very heavy on the head. I have the Miller Solo DV carbon legs and they are spreaderless, can go from ground level to something like 72" in height. I have put a rain jacket over the legs and actually used the tripod as a rain shelter when caught in a storm far from shelter, I have had them in rivers, mud, dust storms, etc. GREAT legs. I think with the DV-6SB and the Miller legs, I paid around $2,200.00 from Abel.

Enjoy!

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I second Dan's recommendation. Love my 6b!
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads