Miller SOLO DV vs.Sachtler Speed Lock for action sports. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Miller SOLO DV vs.Sachtler Speed Lock for action sports.

I am getting close to making a decision. I almost pulled the trigger on the this Sachtler system to put my EX1 on.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

But further investigation leads me to consider the Sachtler FSB-6 combined with Miller SOLO DV Carbon Fiber 2-Stage.

90% of what I shoot is outdoors. Setting up on uneven rocks and jetties, in the sand, climbing up on top of things and at times using my sticks in waist deep salt water. I need sticks that are LIGHT WEIGHT, DURABLE, and ROCK SOLID.

I have been using a Manfrotto 503 on a beater set of Bogen 3221 legs with a pseudo ball leveler in between. So besides rinsing and applying WD40 to the legs I have not been to worried about beating these up.

Now that I working with HD I understand the limitations of this set up. Any suggestions for which legs will work with the Sachtler FSB-6 and meet my needs for lightness, durability and stability is greatly appreciated.

Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Charles.........

Ahem, can I ask to you to take a realy good, long hard look at the design of the Solo's, then ask yourself this question:

"Can a single tube, spreaderless & light set of sticks REALLY give me "rock solid" for HD purposes?"

If you still can't make up your mind, do what I did and phone Miller in Australia, and ask them this self same exact question.

Hopefully you would get the same answer I did.

CS

PS. In case anyone's still wondering - it was "No".
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi CHris

Okay, I have read this comment in another thread. What would you suggest that may fit my niche that can function in adverse conditions(in 2 feet of water at times), be light weight (for great mobility) and as rocky steady as possible?

A bulky super rock steady set of sticks IMHO will not fit the bill for me. I have worked occasionally a ground spreader but never with a mid level. Do you believe the Sachtler speed lock CF would be a better choice than the miller? The light weight is extremely important for run and gun shooting on hills and beaches and rivers and lakes. What other choices do you see in the under $2000.00 range for a complete system? I am open minded and listening to advise!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Major Player

The spreaderless single tube design does have some genuine advantages like less bulk, lighter weight, the ability to go really low, and the ability to change the leg angle independently. I briefly tested a SOLO tripod once and thought it was so-so...not the best but not enormously terrible either. I also tested traditional multi-tube 2-stage tripods from Sachtler, OConnor and Miller and IMO they were all great but they also flexed a little on high drag levels. I actually think the traditional tripods are faster to set up and to adjust the height once set up but they definitely are more bulky.

For Charles' application I think the single tube design would overall be more convenient. But you have to decide that for yourself. You could also look into Gitzo legs, which are similar to the SOLO design. The guys who shot March of the Penguins used Vinten heads on very old but beefy aluminum Gitzo legs. The newer 6X CF legs are probably even better.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I would have to disagree with Chris on the issue of "spreaderless" legs not being able to provide stability. I have a few Gitzos and have shot with bigger Sachtlers without their spreaders as I was shooting on rocky areas and stability was not an issue at all. The cameraman who was shooting the Snow Leopard scene for BBC's Planet Earth was using a spreaderless tripod and he was using a Varricam and a long lens.

Cheers

WeeHan
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Geez, you don't want much, do you?

Having re - read your thread starter and seen the dreaded "salt" word mentioned, it's a no brainer about CF sticks, tho' even a standard design CF system will still have metal parts that can be effected.

Nothing a good bath in clean water can't fix tho'.

As to the rest, well, the answer is , er, no. I simply can't.

The bottom line is that the trade off between light and rigid is such a moveable feast, and there is zero, zilch, nada, none data to support any particular choice, that any recommendation can only be made on personal preferance.

Most people on DVinfo will only buy two sets (of camera supports) if that, in their lifetime, and will experience none other.

Hardly a place to be getting definative hard data.

I'm currently working with CH (well, I think I am) to start building a hard data core for DVinfo, but that's going to be such a long term project it isn't going to help you in the slightest.

To elaborate on my comments re the Solo's - do not get me wrong, I thing they are a mind blowing set of sticks. They really were my preferred choice untill I figured out the "wind up and backlash" issue.

If you can put up with that, go for it. I simply couldn't, due to what I shoot, which is a heck of a lot less dynamic than you, from the sound of it. They may well work a treat for your application.

BUT, they do have a serious issue with wind up and backlash which the design more or less guarantees.

What can you live with?

The wind up isn't so much of a problem, the backlash can be if you need that pan to be babies bum smooth from start to finish. Even that can be edited out.

What can't be ignored is the lateral displacement/ receiver warp in high wind/ wave conditions which could really spoil your day.

Bottom line:

There is no such thing as a super light, durable and rock solid tripod system for HD, made.

Something has to give.

What are you prepared to give up?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Made a purchase

Well after careful consideration and hours of reading up I ordered the Sachtler FSB 6 with the SOLO DV CF legs. For my niche of covering action sports events, often as a one man band, having the ability to move quickly around a scene and set up in a variety of difficult locations I believe this combo will work well. Thanks Chris and the others who have been contributing to this thread and the many others I studied. I already thinking that a second set of legs for certain conditions may be the call down the line. Kind of like having a tough little 4x4 for some work and a diesel pick up for other situations.

Thanks
Dasher

CS keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Well after careful consideration and hours of reading up I ordered the Sachtler FSB 6 with the SOLO DV CF legs. For my niche of covering action sports events, often as a one man band, having the ability to move quickly around a scene and set up in a variety of difficult locations I believe this combo will work well. Thanks Chris and the others who have been contributing to this thread and the many others I studied. I already thinking that a second set of legs for certain conditions may be the call down the line. Kind of like having a tough little 4x4 for some work and a diesel pick up for other situations.

Thanks
Dasher

CS keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.
Charles:

I have your setup except I have the DV-6SB instead of the FSB-6. The Solo DV CF legs are awesome, I absolutely love them. I have dozens of TV shows and DVDs that I have used them on tracking helicopters in flight, gunfighters on an old west street, etc. and they have been superb, you will love them.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Major Player

I've tried both the 75mm and the 100mm bowl Miller legs (I bought the 100's). There is a significant difference in stiffness on the large ones. I would call them "rock solid" for use with the EX1. The trade off is size and weight. They weigh almost as much as spreaded type legs (but the still go higher).
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just curious,
Isn't the FSB-6 head a tad light for the ex-1?
Todd Moen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads