DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod for EX1 + Letus Extreme/Ultimate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/119384-tripod-ex1-letus-extreme-ultimate.html)

Ulli Grunow April 14th, 2008 01:07 PM

Tripod for EX1 + Letus Extreme/Ultimate

Hi there,
I have put this question also in the other (tripod related) forum area, but hope to get some response from actual Letus users together with EX1 - What tripod are you using for the system ?

Here is my question:

I am planning to buy the EX1 but want to use it in the future also with the Letus 35mm DOF adapters on the Zacuto rail system..
That means the total system will become much heavier than only the camera itself.
From stability and weight point of view, would it be enough to use a Sachtler System FSB6 or other 75mm fluid head. Would it otherwise be necessary to upgrade to a 100mm fluid head ? That would be an expensive upgrade...

The whole system should be perfectly balanced - but not heavily oversized. I like to keep as mobile as possible...;-)

Perhaps someone of the Letus users can answer, based on experience.

Thanks - although I am a newby on this forum, I enjoy the quality of discussions...

regards,

Ulli

P.S.: follow the incredible busy XDcam EX thread for some time now... great infos...

Jeremy Hughes April 14th, 2008 01:22 PM

I'm having fine results with my 503 head on my manfrotto spreaders. I also have one of the quick adjust levelers in there which is a huge help quick. But I can pan and tilt - and pick up and carry easily the whole rig and feel confident its solid and steady. Hope that is of some help!

BTW, I'm running almost the exact setup you are listing there. EX1, Zacuto rails, RR FF and mounting plate plus LEX

Dominik Gehring April 15th, 2008 10:59 AM

the old 503 manfrotto head would do the job, but the new and "improved" is much weaker...i was looking for a second tripod for the ex1 also and the counterbalance cant hold its weight already without the adapter and rods...so i bought the miller ds20 and it does the job well...

Piotr Wozniacki April 15th, 2008 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
While of course not being the greatest head in the world, I can confirm that the older Manfrotto 503 is doing fine with all this additional weight on it - it actually feels smoother than with the camera alone! Currently, mine carries the camera with Letus Extreme and Letus rails system, the long Canon 35-105mm zoom, the Bebob Coco-EX adapter for BP-60, feeding a PAG light (in addition to the camera of course), plus additional mic shock mount (from Rode) and the Senny wireless receiver, both mounted on the J-Rod. When I get a mattebox, I'm going to fix the additional 15 cm Letus rail extenders in the front, and the whole rig will be moved back on the Letus QR mount, to find tthe new balance position (currently is balanced perfectly).

PS: Can anyone advise on a mattebox that would fit BOTH a rig on rails, like the one depicted here (I'm using mostly Canon lenses with 52mm or 72mm thread sizes), AND the camera on its own?

George Kroonder April 16th, 2008 05:44 AM

I have about the same rig planned and was looking at either the Vinten Vision System 3 or a Sachtler System 6 SB, like the 0643. They hold 9-10kg which leaves me a little room as I project the rig to be about ~7.5kg with batteries and wireless.

I'm in no hurry, so I'm planning on "feeling up" both candidates at some point first.

George/

Piotr Wozniacki April 16th, 2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 861492)
I have about the same rig planned and was looking at either the Vinten Vision System 3 or a Sachtler System 6 SB, like the 0643. They hold 9-10kg which leaves me a little room as I project the rig to be about ~7.5kg with batteries and wireless.

I'm in no hurry, so I'm planning on "feeling up" both candidates at some point first.

George/

If I were buying a new tripod system now, I'd probably be considering the exactly same options, George. The above information was only to inform those who (like myslef) already have the so popular Manfrotto 525/503 tripod, that under heavier loads the head is working nicer.

Attila Cser April 16th, 2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 861494)
plus additional mic shock mount (from Rode)

PIOTR, Would you be able to post images showing your gear from the other side? (with the mic section)

Atti

Benjamin Eckstein April 16th, 2008 08:42 AM

I have had 2 Bogens in past years that I wish I never bought. Don't know if they are better now. I use a Sachtler DV8 now and its great. Since a tripod can really last for a long time I think its good to invest in a nice one.

Piotr Wozniacki April 16th, 2008 09:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein (Post 861570)
I have had 2 Bogens in past years that I wish I never bought. Don't know if they are better now. I use a Sachtler DV8 now and its great. Since a tripod can really last for a long time I think its good to invest in a nice one.

Absolutely right - a good tripod is high on my list, the Manfrotto being a left-over from the times I was using the tiny Sony HC1E :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attila Cser (Post 861546)
PIOTR, Would you be able to post images showing your gear from the other side? (with the mic section)

Sure thing Attila - I hope you will forgive the low quality (I've made them with my mobile; without the Letus this time).

It may be worth noting that even though I'd bought the J-Rode accessory almost a year ago, I never used it so far because the supplied Azden shockmount has too long spread for my short mics. Recently I have replaced it with the Rode SM3, and all works very nice (with Letus vibrating, putting the mic higher and in the additional rubber suspension helps a bit; still the recorded audio can be used fro reference only - but with the Sennheiser wireless, it's OK)>

Attila Cser April 16th, 2008 10:10 AM

Thanks a lot Piotr for your fast action,

I'm using a long mic from Azden too and I think its suspension is good enough for my purposes. ( TV NEWS and short features)
What Sennheiser wireless system is hanging there on the gear?
(I'm sorry but I can't read it out from the image :-)

Atti

Nathaniel Hansen April 16th, 2008 10:18 AM

I posted this elsewhere, and haven't had any traction...so while we're on the discussion of Ex1 support:

I've been looking at the Cartoni F103 tripod system for about a month now, and in my research have not found any reviews pro or con for this set up. I was nearly swayed at NAB on Monday when I saw Sachtler's new SOOM set up, but at 3k was out of my price range.

The Vision 3, and the Sachtler dv6, and the Cartoni f103 are all right around what I'd like to spend...

thoughts?

Piotr Wozniacki April 16th, 2008 10:19 AM

Yep - for long shotguns, the Azden mount supplied with J-Rod will be perfect. However, a word of caution: the assembly (J-rod plus a long mic plus a wireless) can be too heavy for the EX1's mic holder! You might consider modifying it, as Bob Grant has and shown in one of the threads here (do a search and you will find the picture).

As to my wireless, it's the Sennheiser EW 100 G2 system.

And yes, he quality of the pictures makes it impossible to read the name on it - but I hope you got the idea :)

Sean Donnelly April 16th, 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel Hansen (Post 861632)
I posted this elsewhere, and haven't had any traction...so while we're on the discussion of Ex1 support:

I've been looking at the Cartoni F103 tripod system for about a month now, and in my research have not found any reviews pro or con for this set up. I was nearly swayed at NAB on Monday when I saw Sachtler's new SOOM set up, but at 3k was out of my price range.

The Vision 3, and the Sachtler dv6, and the Cartoni f103 are all right around what I'd like to spend...

thoughts?

I'm actually using the cartoni F102 and I like it a lot. The tilt lock isn't as strong as I would like, but then again neither is the sachtler DV18, and anways I don't think it would slip even with a 35 adapter and an on-board monitor on an EX1. Cartoni makes some great stuff that's consistently priced below everyone else. I'm not sure how they do it, they do make very nice gear, the lambda head being almost a standard item on any large-scale production.

Nathaniel Hansen April 16th, 2008 01:06 PM

Good to know, thanks Sean....I'm hoping to order today before B&H closes for the rest of April.

George Kroonder April 16th, 2008 02:53 PM

I've looked at Cartoni, but it's like they fell off the internet years ago. I can find current products at B&H as well as Abel Cinetech but since I'm in Europe and they're Italian, there must be a more local supplier to be found as well as a catalog of some sorts. No such luck.

Google leads me to believe www.cartoni.com should be the homepage, but it's not accessible!

Anyone know what happened? Did they go to NAB and switched of the webserver?

George/