Cartoni F103 - Any thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 16th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cartoni F103 - Any thoughts?

I've been looking at the Cartoni F103 tripod system for about a month now, and in my research have not found any reviews pro or con for this set up. I was nearly swayed at NAB on Monday when I saw Sachtler's new SOOM set up, but at 3k was out of my price range.

I'm looking to spend no more than 2k on a complete system - I've heard mixed reviews on the Sachtler DV6, and I've used some much larger Cartoni tripod systems on other shoots.

Anyway, the Cartoni F103 seemed to be a good fit, looking for some input.

Looking to mount an EX1, Letus Extreme + Lens, undecided on a rail system (blasted Zacuto with their amazing expensive solution).
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I guess I'll have to post a review after I've used it for a couple months :)
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Nathaniel..........

Sorry, somehow missed your post, tho' as I've never heard of the Cartoni F103 I'm not in a position to offer any enlightenment.

Just checked it out @ B&H and it does look interesting.

I'd be really interested to hear back from you as to it's performance, especially with the rig you mentioned.

A couple of things about the tripod that strikes me are the two stage design -that bottom single tube looks awefully long, and the minimum height of 33" seems very high.

In addition, it doesn't have spiked feet, so you can't cheat the minimum height by disconnecting the spreader and using the spikes to hold the feet in position.

I DO like the infinately variable counterbalance tho' - now that is a big plus.

All in all, a very intrigueing package at that price point.

Do let us know how it fares in action.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

kia ora Chris!

I'll post a review for sure. Ex1 and tripod arrive on Tuesday...who knows on the Letus. They're a minimum 4 week wait. I'll be very curious to see how well it balances the load, especially if I put a longer lens on the rig.

Cheers
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good Luck......

Enjoy the new toys!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Trustee

I just looked at B&H and it seems the Cartoni F103 is just the Cartoni Focus 100mm bowl head that has been very popular as a mid priced head for the pro HDV cameras for the past year or more.

The legs that come with it are the standard Cartoni design legs, albeit carbon fiber here, with one stage. I have virtually the same legs in aluminum with an Alpha head (the predecessor to the Focus). They work well and are solid in my experience. The rubber feet unscrew and leave a metal blunt spike. The legs also have the molding that fits on a Cartoni dolly.

Searching the forum for Cartoni Focus will turn up a lot of comments.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Awesome - Thanks for the input Jack. I was finding a lot on the other Cartoni Focus models, just wanted to be sure this one wasn't totally different (however unlikely that would be). I look forward to posting some pics and comments in the coming weeks.
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Cartoni makes very good and decent tripods. I own a Gamma set for ten years now, and it is still as smooth as it was the first day I bought it. Sachtler will be better, but at a much higher cost.

Maybe this look a likes of Sachtler are worth looking at for those who are looking for a new tripod.

www.secced.com
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads