fluid head for small cameras? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM   #16
Trustee

A few months ago I first saw the Sacthler FSB-6 and was very impressed -- it was much better than the previous DV Sachtler I had seen (and has been discontinued).

I recommened the FSB-6 to someone with a Sony HDV camera and was not happy with a Bogen 503. They are very, very happy with the Sachtler FSB-6.

This all would lead me to investigate the FSB-2. It also might be excellent.

I have come to the conclusion that there are good inexpensive tripods (such as some Velbons) and good expensive tripods, but that there are not good medium-priced tripods. In general I have seen that the $250 to $750 tripods are not going to make most people happy.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The Gitzo G2180 is a really nice head for a small camera, handicapped only by its lack of a bubble level. Add some decent legs and you have a very nice $500ish tripod.

Peter
www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Major Player

Some time in June, the new Manfrotto 701HDV is going to become available. It is a true fluid head, pretty inexpensive, and uses the same plates that I already use on my tripod and shoulder mount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=556159&is=REG
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Trustee

Looks like a slightly updated 501HDV to me, and still without adjustable balance or drag - it seems to be limited to 1.5kg counterbalance. Might be OK for small cams, though.

More details on the Manfrotto website, who claim that it is out already:

http://www.manfrotto.com Or the direct link: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...once/pid/17191
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Major Player

Well the counterbalance would be done by moving the plate forward or back before tightening it. Unlike the 501HDV it is a true fluid head rather than teflon plate friction head. No drag control, but that isn't uncommon in lower priced fluid heads and it makes sense to use light drag with a light camera on a light tripod, so I don't think in actual practice people will miss the drag control when it is being used as intended.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #21
Trustee

Yep, agreed - this could be good for small cams and low budgets.

You'd almost think they read this thread for inspiration!
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #22
Trustee

Here is the Bogen 701HDV at B&H for $119:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uid_Video.html

At 1.8 lbs it looks worth checking on. I have the Gitzo 2180 which is good for some things, but it isn't ideal for light cameras that are heavier.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Before I knew you were supposed to spend lots of money on a tripod to be good, I used the Velbon 607 Videomate. I still have it and use my HV20 on it a lot-- especially when I don't want to cart the heavier tripods.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Before I knew you were supposed to spend lots of money on a tripod to be good, I used the Velbon 607 Videomate. I still have it and use my HV20 on it a lot-- especially when I don't want to cart the heavier tripods.
I have a Velbon video tripod I bought in the early/mid 80's. It was meant to support an RCA consumer VHS camera, which turns out to have been about the size of some of the modern DV and HDV prosumer cameras.

I still use it sometimes, and the head works better for me than the Bogen heads in the $300 range or so. In fact, when I first got a PD150 I used the Velbon to shoot a dance show, a lot of time using the camera at full zoom. The tripod and head did a good job. The day before the show I went to a large camera store to see if I could find a head that would be better. They had the Bogen line, and nothing they had was as good.

When I mentioned to the sales person that there was slop in the panning action of the head, she said, "Well, if you're going to move the camera back and forth fast like that, that's what's going to happen!"

Despite it's weaknesses in ways, the Velbon did very well in the "back and forth" moving.

The model I have is:
legs: Velbon PX-781K
head: Vel-flo 10, PH-268
(Made in Japan)

It's heavier than the current models, I believe. Here's a link to the one I have:
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Velbon-Velbon-PX-781-Tripod
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads