Need "Lightweight" Advice on DVX100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Need "Lightweight" Advice on DVX100

I need to interview someone in Manhattan soon, and I'll be traveling by train/cab/subway. I can't carry my usual tripod, so I'm wondering what would be an adequate monopod/light tripod for a simple non-swiveling setup for the DVX100? Something that can be folded up small and attached to my backpack. Preferably something no more than $200. No frills, just to have something easily portable to set the DVX100 on for a straight-on interview.

Thanks!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't think you want a monopod. You'd have to hold onto the camera all the time.

There are number tripods that could work. You best bet would be to go into B&H and look at them if you are in New York.

Bogen makes a couple of nice ones with small fluid heads (up to about 8 lbs.) that are in the $200 range I've seen. Bogen has the 701 head coming out in the next couple of weeks or so. Bogen has a lightweight carbon fiber tripod with fluid head that is between about $250 I believe.
Here's one, but there may be better:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

Also, you should look at Velbon. For around a hundred dollars you can get a dependable tripod and fluid head that should suit your needs:
http://www.velbon-tripod.com/video.htm

There are some nice little tripods if you don't need a good head. If you can go to a huge camera store and look, that would be best, at least to give you an idea of what there is.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks--the Velbon looks interesting!
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, just to give this brief thread a happy ending, I ordered a Velbon DV-7000 from B & H. The tripod certainly has its share of positive reviews.

:D
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Trustee

For your needs and budget I think this will work out very well.

I have a Velbon bought 25 years ago for a an RCA VHS camera. It still works very well. A lot of people have Velbon tripods, whether they admit it or not.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Major Player

For what I need it for, I'm sure it's the optimal choice.

Last edited by Barry Rivadue; May 20th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Received the DV-7000 today and put it to work right away, and I'm more than pleased with it. It seems like a far more expensive tripod, and it's stylish too. It fits just what I need it for.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads